Slow decade for new buses?

So, if they get the money next year from the County (which comes from the state), they'll place an order for more CNG buses next year, but they won't be delivered for a long time. Those Vs will be sticking around for a while before they can be retired.

They can always buy second-handed RTS's from the MTA. Picture an RTS in the NICE scheme and logos!

They can always buy second-handed RTS's from the MTA. Picture an RTS in the NICE scheme and logos!

The RTSes are so close to retirement, why would NICE bother? They could have bought some of the (MTA) Orion V CNGs at the beginning of 2012 for a cheap price instead of the (MTA) retiring them right after they returned from Long Island.

So, if they get the money next year from the County (which comes from the state), they'll place an order for more CNG buses next year, but they won't be delivered for a long time. Those Vs will be sticking around for a while before they can be retired.

This funding is planned in advance, so the county could potentially vote the money soon. Once the bid is awarded, manufacturers have varying delivery windows but with overall purchases being down, it's possible that the new buses could be delivered in 9 to 12 months from the contract award. I'd guess sometime in 2014.

Proposed Program of Projects

Federal Fiscal Year 2013

System Name: Nassau Inter County Express (NICE)

Project Name: Paratransit Service

County: Nassau

Project Identification #: 082596

Zip Code: 11530

Object/Purpose of Project: Purchase replacement paratransit vehicles

Units/Location/Limits: 63

Summary:

NICE requests capital funds to purchase sixty‐three replacement paratransit vehicles to replace

a portion of the peak fleet that will be reaching the end of their useful life. The vehicles are

needed to maintain operating efficiency and capacity.

The estimated cost of the project is $5.5 million and this request is for $4.4 million.

I cannot wait to see who gets this order! It feels like Christmas! (oh wait...)

I would love to see NICE getting some C40LFs from unused MTA options.

That was my dream as well but I don't think it will happen, MTA loves them their C40LF's and probably won't be sharing them. I've said it before, maybe if a company like Veoilia requests an order for 40 buses before production of the C40LF is done up in Crookston, MN they could tack on 40 buses at the end. I mean they would be the same buses except for paint, hell deliver them white and let NICE paint them if New Flyer doesn't want to paint them.

The problem with that is that nice just purchased 40 buses that aren't being manufactored anynore, would they want to gamble buying 40 more buses if they also aren't going to be anymore? NICE has always had Orions, then if you ad C40LF's the mechanics would have to learn how to repair and maintain these buses, when it's time to buy more bus the mechanics will have to learn how to repair and maintain a 3rd type of bus.

Somebody like Brett or East New York woud have to specify if other New Flyer buses have the same engine, tranny, etc. as the c40...

Ideally (in my mind) New Flyer would see there is still a demand for C40LF's in the market and would offer this bus to consumers again, they'd be crazy to turn down a customer who wanted it and let them go to another bus builder.

Not to be rude, but did any of you see that this project is in regards to Paratransit service?

I think there were two different bus orders. It's also for heavy duty transit buses.

I didn't see. If this is true, would someone care to elaborate?

Yes, my post was about para buses, in addition to the 40 transit buses nice has requested funds for 63 para transit buses! I'm very excited about this!

That was my dream as well but I don't think it will happen, MTA loves them their C40LF's and probably won't be sharing them. I've said it before, maybe if a company like Veoilia requests an order for 40 buses before production of the C40LF is done up in Crookston, MN they could tack on 40 buses at the end. I mean they would be the same buses except for paint, hell deliver them white and let NICE paint them if New Flyer doesn't want to paint them.

The problem with that is that nice just purchased 40 buses that aren't being manufactored anynore, would they want to gamble buying 40 more buses if they also aren't going to be anymore? NICE has always had Orions, then if you ad C40LF's the mechanics would have to learn how to repair and maintain these buses, when it's time to buy more bus the mechanics will have to learn how to repair and maintain a 3rd type of bus.

Somebody like Brett or East New York woud have to specify if other New Flyer buses have the same engine, tranny, etc. as the c40...

Ideally (in my mind) New Flyer would see there is still a demand for C40LF's in the market and would offer this bus to consumers again, they'd be crazy to turn down a customer who wanted it and let them go to another bus builder.

Yes, my post was about para buses, in addition to the 40 transit buses nice has requested funds for 63 para transit buses! I'm very excited about this!

Funny, because I remember seeing somewhere about 5 or 6 years ago that the MTA hated the C40LFs. Also, it would not be the first time that NICE (aka MTA Long Island bus) had more then two types of buses. I think at one point, they had 6 or 7 different models going on. Around 1996, MTA Long Island bus had:

- Orion V diesels

- Orion V CNGs (not as many as they did five years ago, they were being delivered at the time)

- Orion II CNGs

-Thomas built HFs

- Neoplans (AN440s? Not sure)

-GMC RTS's (ex-NYCT)

-Flexible 870s (slowly being retired)

-Flexible Metro As

-Gillig phantoms

-GMC New Looks (mixture of ex-NYCT and ex-MSBA units).

I believe that was it unless they still also had Flexible New Looks in service too.

• 2 weeks later...

They do - they offer the C40LFR restyled bus. Most customers seem to be interested in a more modern design than the early 1990's LF design.

Yea, I know about the LFR, I was talking about the LF, I would have loved to have seen the LF out here. It's never going to happen, would've been nice but if nice goes with New Flyer it should be the Xcelsior.

Just out of curiosity what option for New Flyer does the MTA hold? Maybe nice will look at those buses?

They do - they offer the C40LFR restyled bus. Most customers seem to be interested in a more modern design than the early 1990's LF design.

Can anyone tell me how many C40LFR's New Flyer sold in 2011-2012?

Yea, I know about the LFR, I was talking about the LF, I would have loved to have seen the LF out here. It's never going to happen, would've been nice but if nice goes with New Flyer it should be the Xcelsior.

Just out of curiosity what option for New Flyer does the MTA hold? Maybe nice will look at those buses?

Can anyone tell me how many C40LFR's New Flyer sold in 2011-2012?

I'll only be able to provide information on the amount of CNG LFR buses ordered between 2011-2012.

2011 New Flyer Industries C40LFR orders:

Montebello Bus Lines (Montebello, CA) #21101-#21104 (4 units).

Omnitrans (San Bernardino, CA) #1231-#1247 (17 units).

Simi Valley Transit (Simi Valley, CA) #4527-#4328 (2 units).

SporTran (Shreveport & Bossier City, LA) #101-#105 (5 units).

Valley Metro (PhoenIx, AZ) #6676-#6697 (16 units).

Total of 2011 C40LFR units: 44 units.

2011 New Flyer Industries C35LFR orders:

SporTran (Shreveport & Bossier City, LA) #106-#115 (9 units).

Total of 2011 C35LFR units: 9 units.

2012 New Flyer Industries C40LFR orders:

Valley Metro (PhoenIx, AZ) #6698-#6713 (16 units)

Valley Metro (PhoenIx, AZ) #6714-#6733 (20 units)

Total of 2012 C40LFR units: 36 units

Total CNG LFR units between 2011-2012: 89 units

excluding 35 foot units: 80 units.

You say customers prefer the more "modern" design... Interesting compared to the low amount of LFR's sold compared to LF's, even the fact that the C40LF's come from one big order speaks volumes!

Total CNG LFR units between 2011-2012: 89 units

excluding 35 foot units: 80 units.

You say customers prefer the more "modern" design... Interesting compared to the low amount of LFR's sold compared to LF's, even the fact that the C40LF's come from one big order speaks volumes!

That number is just for CNG LFR's and not LFR's as a whole during those years. Keep in ming the LFR was first offered in late 2005. And during 2009 to 2011 when the LFR was the only option guess what was selling? The fact is LFR's were preferred by many agencies. The MTA just wanted the LF's for fleet compatibility, among other reasons.

Archived