R211 Discussion

Nova RTS 9147

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The R179 will completely cover the eastern division, getting rid of the R42's. 75 footers are fine on the SIR, as it is not as used as the subway. I don't know how you guys are so sure about R211's.

Is it true that they will still go with the 75 footers? Because I can't certainly see them ordering the R211s as 60 footers because that's too damn expensive. More over, the simple option is better.

Take note that all of this is WHAT IF.

Theres no info on car length, what lines, none of that. This is for now all speculation.

We are not "so sure" or saying this is what they're gonna be. We are throwing out possibilities. Based on, well.....nothing.

Y'all need to keep in mind one thing.... things aren't always set in stone. What this means is that the MTA may eventually get around to removing the constraints currently found on the Eastern Division. Indeed, one day we might finally see 600' trains on those lines. One simply cannot look at these things through such a narrow lens. That's always been the Achilles heel of railfans.

On a side note, they COULD just try to order 67.5' cars again...

Consdiering that there have been no new orders for 75 foot cars since the early 1980s, I think it's safe to say that there will be no new 75 foot cars. Every single order following the R68, including the R179, has been for 60 foot cars.

Part of the rationale for going back to 60 foot cars was that passengers could safely cross between cars; BUT, they've since banned all passing between cars, so that will make 75 foot cars less inconvenient (and the Eastern Div. is all set with its own all new dedicated fleet, so that won't be much of a problem either).

This may draw attention to one of the benefits of 75 foot cars; and that's same capacity with less units. Especially now that they are trying to skim back on the order with the 179's.

Consdiering that there have been no new orders for 75 foot cars since the early 1980s, I think it's safe to say that there will be no new 75 foot cars. Every single order following the R68, including the R179, has been for 60 foot cars.

That really doesnt mean anything. The MTA can change their mind at any moment. It's not a permanent thing if they stop ordering 75 footers, because hey, you never know!

Y'all need to keep in mind one thing.... things aren't always set in stone. What this means is that the MTA may eventually get around to removing the constraints currently found on the Eastern Division. Indeed, one day we might finally see 600' trains on those lines. One simply cannot look at these things through such a narrow lens. That's always been the Achilles heel of railfans.

On a side note, they COULD just try to order 67.5' cars again...

IMO I dont see a problem with 67.5 footers, other than the fact that the length will be 9 extra feet more than normal, in which I'm pretty sure most station have the extra capacity.

1000 cars? Did they find a hidden treasure worth a gazillion bucks while digging under 2nd Ave???

:lol:

They also said the (MTA) wont order from New Flyer again, but if you look at what was provided the R211 will clearly be in four car sets, so either (A) and (R) trains are going to be shorter, or these will be 75 foot trains.

Nowhere does it "clearly" state that the R211 will be entirely made up of 4 car sets. Stop reading stuff too quickly and jumping to asinine conclusions.

The R211 contract will not be awarded in December. Read it more closely...

Okay. Let's wait until the contract is awarded in 2015 or whatever date it is and then we will have an idea of whether the R211s are 60 footers or 75 footers.

As for who will get this contract, while I am happy that Bombardier got the contract for the R179 order instead of Kawasaki, I'd like to see a manufacturer other than Kawasaki, Alstom, or Bombardier get the R211 contract. Since the MTA seems to favor manufacturers with a New York presence, perhaps the R211 order should go to CAF. Just don't let them choose AnsaldoBreda.

Archived