R211 Discussion

Nova RTS 9147

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nowhere does it "clearly" state that the R211 will be entirely made up of 4 car sets. Stop reading stuff too quickly and jumping to asinine conclusions.

I would be glad if the R211s aren't configured in permanent 4- or 5-car sets, especially if they decide to order them as 60-footers.

I would be glad if the R211s aren't configured in permanent 4- or 5-car sets, especially if they decide to order them as 60-footers.

And how else would they be configured? Because there is no way that the MTA is going to order B division cars as single units or married pairs unless it is a small sub-order for the Franklin Ave Shuttle.

I think the days of the single units or married pairs are over. Everything is in 'fixed' sets.

And how else would they be configured? Because there is no way that the MTA is going to order B division cars as single units or married pairs unless it is a small sub-order for the Franklin Ave Shuttle.

Going to fixed sets of 60-footers was a big mistake on the MTA's part. It makes it difficult to transfer cars from East New York to any other B-Division yard and vice versa if there should ever be a need for it. Ten-car trains of R160Bs cannot operate on the East because the platforms can't handle them. It also means that if one car in the set has a problem, you lose four or five cars instead of just two, like with married pairs.

Going to fixed sets of 60-footers was a big mistake on the MTA's part. It makes it difficult to transfer cars from East New York to any other B-Division yard and vice versa if there should ever be a need for it. Ten-car trains of R160Bs cannot operate on the East because the platforms can't handle them. It also means that if one car in the set has a problem, you lose four or five cars instead of just two, like with married pairs.

There will always be ups and downs with the way trains are configured.

I would guess the risk of a major accident is low (like that R143 canarsie yard set that's been 'cannibalized' for parts last I read about it) and in the long term a fixed set would be cheaper to maintain over singles or married pairs.

...and that's why they'll probably stick with the four- and five-car set configuration.

Actually, they are semi-permanent units, so if there was some kind of emergency where ENY needed an extra set (hypothetically speaking) from somewhere else, they can just split the set apart and pull a car out from the set and send it over as a 4-car set.

Now the odds of that are slim to none, but it is possible for one to be shipped out to the east

damm please can someone tell me what happened with that r143...and where its at right now...im feel lost...was it a whole train...one 4 car set or what??

It was a 4 car set but the end car suffered the most damage (bent frame).

BUT.....

From the photos I've seen on fb that a worker posted from inside a barn (dunno which one), it is getting worked on

It was a 4 car set but the end car suffered the most damage (bent frame).

BUT.....

From the photos I've seen on fb that a worker posted from inside a barn (dunno which one), it is getting worked on

How recent were those photos? And as far as I remember, they sent the damaged car up to Yonkers, while the remaining three cars sat at 207th for the longest time.

I hope Alstom or Kawasaki will get award for to built R211. At least R160A is built by Alstom. or will they split up the order 2 different manufacturing just like R160A/B. Alstom or Bombardier will built more R211. As kawasaki rail car get short order to built R211 just like R160B.

I hope Alstom or Kawasaki will get award for to built R211. At least R160A is built by Alstom. or will they split up the order 2 different manufacturing just like R160A/B. Alstom or Bombardier will built more R211. As kawasaki rail car get short order to built R211 just like R160B.

Actually, Alstom and Kawasaki did a joint bid as ALSKAW for the R179, but lost to Bombardier. However, had ALSKAW been awarded the contract, I don't know if this would have meant both companies would build the cars or if it only meant that Kawasaki would build the cars and Alstom would provide propulsion.

Still, I would really like to see MTA try something different, as long as it isn't AnsaldoBreda. As I said earlier, the MTA has a preference for manufacturers with New York operations, so other than Bombardier, Alstom, or Kawasaki, the only other manufacturer with a manufacturing facility in New York would be Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles (CAF).

Nowhere does it "clearly" state that the R211 will be entirely made up of 4 car sets. Stop reading stuff too quickly and jumping to asinine conclusions.

Even though I fail to see how its asinine, I did misspeak about it clearly being 4 car fleet. Looking at the amount of cars that are being ordered and what they're replacing and you can see how the evidence would suggest a 4 car fleet. Of course we wont actually know until the contract is awarded.

Hawker Siddeley did have the chance to make a decent amount for NYCTA. They are the company now known as Bombardier Transportation.

Haha, because Bombardier just does a great job at gobbling every other minor company through mergers, and still manages to keep contractual deadlines and deliver quality equipment XD.

Archived