R211 Discussion

Nova RTS 9147

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, Alstom and Kawasaki did a joint bid as ALSKAW for the R179, but lost to Bombardier. However, had ALSKAW been awarded the contract, I don't know if this would have meant both companies would build the cars or if it only meant that Kawasaki would build the cars and Alstom would provide propulsion.

Still, I would really like to see MTA try something different, as long as it isn't AnsaldoBreda. As I said earlier, the MTA has a preference for manufacturers with New York operations, so other than Bombardier, Alstom, or Kawasaki, the only other manufacturer with a manufacturing facility in New York would be Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles (CAF).

The plan on R179 was for Kawasaki to build the car shells and trucks and ship them up to Hornell for completion.

• 2 weeks later...

No so fast there Art. As of 12/09/2012, R211's are supposed to go to SIR after the R46's........ In 90 days or less it should be in black and white for all to see. I checked, checked, and double checked. R46's are still on the books for going to SIR. And so are the R211's.

Que sera, sera

• 1 month later...

Why is there delay that who got the award of building R211..... Like I do want to see R46 be retire.. If no one don't like R46 run only R & A. When no one dont like R32 run only C line... R32 will retire in 2 years in 2015 to 2017 ( that 222 cars will retire that 2015 - 2017 ) it will take 2 years to retire 222 cars of R32... between 2015 - 2017.

Why is there delay that who got the award of building R211..... Like I do want to see R46 be retire.. If no one don't like R46 run only R & A. When no one dont like R32 run only C line... R32 will retire in 2 years in 2015 to 2017 ( that 222 cars will retire that 2015 - 2017 ) it will take 2 years to retire 222 cars of R32... between 2015 - 2017.

There are is delay in award cuz contract no issue yet. MTA also budget problems. There people run R46 on (R)(A) for living not all dislike R46 on (R)(A) not all dislike R32 (C) R32 durable so retire in 2017 they strong.

Good point, mtattrain! This thread shouldn't even be touched yet. A contract haven't been awarded as of yet. To early to confirm anything and the (MTA) is focused currently on deliveries of R188s, the upcoming development on the R179s and other operations. A thread hiatus should take order? Until some new info is being announced by you all know who! lol. Let's just we and see, shall we?

The MTA said the award should be in 2015. We got a while to go.

If the award is in 2015, then this thread should pretty much be closed until then. It's hard to have a discussion about something when it hasn't even been built yet.

Well, here are my thoughts, very rational btw lol

Two possibilities (If there won't be too much of a shakeup):

A: If The R68s stay on the (B), (D)(S) and (G), and don't go to SI, then (If there is an SIR option included) the R211 could pop up on the SIR  (A)(R)(H) and (F) lines.

B: If the some R68s are shifted to the (A)(H) and SIR, then the R211 could see service on the (B)(D)(F)(R) and a couple on the (G) if there isn't enough 68s to go 'round.

These are the only possibilities that I can think of. And don't misunderstand, I believe in the line"Let's wait and see". I just want to contribute something that makes sense and doesn't involve ridiculous shifting around of subway cars.

On the (H), we all know that that is the Rockaway (S). But I didn't want to type it's entire name out lol

• 6 months later...

I will also say that the R211s being 75 feet long is still being evaluated, so things can change and they could end up being 60 foot cars. Just throwing that out there as a reminder. 

Archived