R211 Discussion

Nova RTS 9147

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In addition to the other improvements, I hope they build the R211's without center poles, and replace them with more conveniently located ceiling bars instead. In my experience with riding crowded trains during rush hour every day, It seems the center poles only impede passenger movement and are an inefficient use of space. When people stand around the pole, especially given that the poles are located right by the doors on some trains, they tend to block people from going further into the car and using all of the available space efficiently.

I got an exclusive pic here! 

R211.PNG

Link where I got it from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R211_(New_York_City_Subway_car)

that's not exclusive.

It was directly from the capital plan that the MTA put out, that has been known for a couple weeks. It was posted and you could have looked at the links to find out where it was from. Also, things on wikipedia come from somewhere. Wikipedia does not make up the information.

In addition to the other improvements, I hope they build the R211's without center poles, and replace them with more conveniently located ceiling bars instead. In my experience with riding crowded trains during rush hour every day, It seems the center poles only impede passenger movement and are an inefficient use of space. When people stand around the pole, especially given that the poles are located right by the doors on some trains, they tend to block people from going further into the car and using all of the available space efficiently.

You aren't thinking about children who can't reach it, like 12 year olds.

Well, there would still be places for vertically challenged people to hold on to lol: the poles along the seats, and the bars at the end of the seat rows by the doors. If anything, more poles can be placed along the seats to make up for the lack of center poles...

Well, there would still be places for vertically challenged people to hold on to lol: the poles along the seats, and the bars at the end of the seat rows by the doors. If anything, more poles can be placed along the seats to make up for the lack of center poles...

Great idea!

also on the ceiling of the cars at the end of the cars, especially in cab cars. On the (E) train it gets so crowded and often i need to be in the first/last cars and sometimes I can't hold onto anything and I fall over people. Also in the center of the R160s there is a bar on top, that should have straphangers.

Then you have people crowding by the sides and the doors, which is why we have center poles in the first place (to draw them into the center of the cars).

The current NTT bench-pole style is fine; it allows for 6 people to sit normally, and in some cases 7 or 8. Splitting that with more poles wouldn't be particularly useful, since the poles are basically about two arms' length away from each other.

Im looking at conceptual computer generated images of next gen cars for the London Underground. Notice that right away you can see the striking similarities to the R211 cars: http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/living-room-comfort-inside-new-trains-unveiled-16bn-tube-upgrade-9783911.html

I guess the first R211s in testing when it happens will look alot like this. Since England is going in the same direction in radical new car designs as the MTA.

7driverlesstrain0910c.jpg

I actually am happy with the R211 design at the moment. I think the MTA wants to try something different instead of the usual design. It will be interesting (if they go through with the design) to see those on the (R), (F), (S), and (A).

Its possible that 207th Street and Jamaica Yard will get these cars. Also CI Yard as the MTA is considering placing them on the L and N because passenger usage has been growing on these lines almost like a spike in ridership within the last few years.

So you may actually see these cars on some of the lines you've mentioned such as the F (Queens Bvld CBTC)

The R211 maybe assigned to Pitkin yard for (A)(C) service because of the R46s retirement and increase of (A)(C) service due to (C) may be extended to lefferts blvd around the next pick and all (A) service to Rockaways, Possible Coney Island may get some for fleet growth for (N), and Jamaica could get around 410 for regular fleet replacement of r46 it could end up on any of jamaica routes (E)(F)(R).

Archived