R211 Discussion

Nova RTS 9147

The R211 maybe assigned to Pitkin yard for (A)(C) service because of the R46s retirement and increase of (A)(C) service due to (C) may be extended to lefferts blvd around the next pick and all (A) service to Rockaways, Possible Coney Island may get some for fleet growth for (N), and Jamaica could get around 410 for regular fleet replacement of r46 it could end up on any of jamaica routes (E)(F)(R).

Why would the (C) even need R211s (full length) when it will have a full fleet of R179s (8-cars)?

And it won't be extended to/from Lefferts. Sending all (A) trains into the Rockaways requires more running time for the crews themselves and more money spent. The Rock Park branch has the lowest ridership in the peninsula and doesn't need through service outside of rush hours, other than the 4 car (S) shuttle that serves it.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would the (C) even need R211s (full length) when it will have a full fleet of R179s (8-cars)?

And it won't be extended to/from Lefferts. Sending all (A) trains into the Rockaways requires more running time for the crews themselves and more money spent. The Rock Park branch has the lowest ridership in the peninsula and doesn't need through service outside of rush hours, other than the 4 car (S) shuttle that serves it.

Would it be practical to turn those extra A trains at Howard Beach?

Yes, as headways will still be alternated between Howard Beach and Far Rockaway. It also makes more sense to keep the Rock Park Shuttle and those rush hour (A) Rock Park showcases. The (C) COULD go to/from Lefferts (which results in sending all (A) 's to/from the airport and Mott Avenue), but I'm not sure if there are enough cars for that. Maybe about 2 or 3 more trains I guess (?), then the local extension to/from Lefferts can happen.

One more thing to clarify: even if every other  (A) 's head to/from Rock Park during daytime hours, the  (S) shuttle would still be needed overnight so that both branches of the peninsula maintain a 20 minute headway. All 24/7 lines run on a 20 minute headway overnight. If the  (A) were to alternate between Mott Av and B116 St 24/7, then overnight headways on both branches of the peninsula would see a train every 40 minutes (which is more than twice the scheduled overnight headway). The Far Rock terminal is the busiest of all subway stations in the peninsula and should always have through service 24/7.

Short turning the alternated  (A) 's at Howard Beach is cheaper (as the running time is the same as Lefferts) with no additional running time/hours.

Im looking at conceptual computer generated images of next gen cars for the London Underground. Notice that right away you can see the striking similarities to the R211 cars: http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/living-room-comfort-inside-new-trains-unveiled-16bn-tube-upgrade-9783911.html

I guess the first R211s in testing when it happens will look alot like this. Since England is going in the same direction in radical new car designs as the MTA.

7driverlesstrain0910c.jpg

Your're getting a point...

Have gangways been ruled out yet? If there would be gangways, do you think there should be doors separating the segments?

That would defeat the whole purpose of the gangways, and I strongly doubt there will be gangways - they won't able to use them on the Broadway line in lower Manhattan should they add them in.

That would defeat the whole purpose of the gangways, and I strongly doubt there will be gangways - they won't able to use them on the Broadway line in lower Manhattan should they add them in.

Are you basing this on the Toronto Rocket's performance on the TCC? Curious because they were considering that design until London Underground came up with this concept. London's subway is also an ancient line where the trains hit incredibly sharp curves. They have been using gangways for a long time there, so I think its possible with the R211s given they should be 60' cars and not 75'.

no there would be doors inside the gangways inside the car to seperate

Are you basing this on the Toronto Rocket's performance on the TCC? Curious because they were considering that design until London Underground came up with this concept. London's subway is also an ancient line where the trains hit incredibly sharp curves. They have been using gangways for a long time there, so I think its possible with the R211s given they should be 60' cars and not 75'.

TTC, not TCC.

I am not basing this on the Toronto Rocket's performance because if there were any curves that prevented the gangways from working correctly, the cars would not have been built with gangways. I am basing this off of the fact that the aforementioned curves are the reason why the 75 footers have their doors locked. Fair enough on the London example, but I still have my doubts.

no there would be doors inside the gangways inside the car to seperate

Accidentally upvoted this, meant to hit LTA's.

I think the (MTA) should do another R110 kind of project and test out gangways on the subway before putting them on the R211s and determine gangway use from there. The (MTA) did a great job with the R110 project earlier and it couldn't hurt to do another one. It actually saved them from making a mistake like the early R44s and R46s.

How did they make mistakes with r44 and r46?

Have a look at the following pages. I've taken the liberty of directly linking the relevant sections:

http://nycsubway.org/wiki/The_New_York_Transit_Authority_in_the_1970s#The_R-46_Rockwell_Truck_Fiasco

http://nycsubway.org/wiki/The_New_York_Transit_Authority_in_the_1980s#All_Cracked_Up

How did they make mistakes with r44 and r46?

They used an untested lightweight articulated truck design on the R46 cars. This is why our subway cars don't change much anymore. The (MTA) wants to test out things first before actually implementing them. Evolutionary, not Revolutionary.

When it comes to open gangways, remember, we've had articulated cars before. Plenty actually. There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't have open gangways again, articulated or not.

I think the (MTA) should do another R110 kind of project and test out gangways on the subway before putting them on the R211s and determine gangway use from there. The (MTA) did a great job with the R110 project earlier and it couldn't hurt to do another one. It actually saved them from making a mistake like the early R44s and R46s.

The D type Triplex is articulated so the MTA will use it to run on the lines that might be difficult to add cars with a gangway.

• 7 months later...

Major R211 Updates.

As of today, the R211 project is now about 9-10 months behind schedule. The MTA has pushed the project back a bit to evaluate more design and technical issues with the cars that will definitely be headed out to Staten Island. The new 60-foot cars will feature the latest technology, but will have significant commonality with the R143/160/179 fleets. This has now been decided as the MTA could swap train sets and /or run the new equipment parallel to that of the new. This is the major reason all new cars for the forseeable future will be 60 feet in length.

The MTA has requested a contact extension with the company that is currently providing design and technical consulting to prepare MTA for pre-award for the new cars. Again, this delay has been caused by the addition of SIR to the overall contract. This will also include support needed for the full size mock-up the MTA will request before the test train set is built.

The new timetable calls for final R211 design freeze for early to mid 2017. At that time MTA will prepare an RFP for the new cars. This schedule push back will also allow MTA to evaluate Bombardier and where they stand with the R179 order, as the R211 cars will be very similar.

The good thing about 60 footers is that 

A) more doors/car length unit, so better passenger flow

B) Uniform design - allows for implementation of Automatic Platform Gates and Platform Screen Doors

C) Can make sharper turns - allowed on BMT Eastern Division

Archived