Meadowlands Surprises

While at the Jets-Dolphins game today at the Meadowlands (Go Phins!), I saw that Academy is yet again guilty of taking buses they operate UNDER CONTRACT to NJT and placing them on the MetLife Stadium-IZOD Center parking shuttle, a CHARTER operation. I only saw ONE Ex-Rutgers Nova LFS (what they are starting to use more for shuttles here), the rest of the buses were NABIs from Perth Amboy and notice how they put tape over the NJT logos and ads on most of them, perhaps so no one complains to NJT about them using their buses on charters. I personally don't have that much of a problem with them using their NJT MCIs for charters since those buses carry Academy branding and are used on commuter routes directly controlled by Academy, and I don't really have a problem with them taking a FEW NJT contract buses as long as service on both Academy commuter and NJT contract routes is not affected at all (that means enough buses to operate the routes AND have enough buses on standby in case of a breakdown). Here, they used a LOT of NABIs. Maybe all Academy Perth Amboy runs went out on time today, but if one of those buses broke down I honestly think they had too many buses at the game to have a replacement bus ready, and remember all these routes are operated under contract to NJT and these buses are provided to Academy SOLELY for use on those routes. There were a LOT more NABIs here than you can see in the pictures, but anyway, enjoy:

IMG_2002.jpg

IMG_1998.jpg

IMG_2001.jpg

Bit of a blurry pic here, sorry about that.

IMG_2003.jpg

The only bus I saw without the NJT logos and ads covered up...

IMG_2013.jpg

Meadowlands Line bonuses! I ran into an ALP-45DP and a Metro-North F40PH yet again.

IMG_1999.jpg

IMG_2000.jpg

Nice pics. Its a shame Academy does that

It is, being an occasional/somewhat frequent user of Academy Perth Amboy's routes I was mad they had so many of their buses up here. Perhaps the one time a few weeks ago when my 810 didn't show it was because it broke down and they had too many buses up at the Meadowlands to send a replacement. Thing is the owner of Academy is on the NJT board, though I've seen CUSA using their state buses for charters as well.

Nice catch with the F40PH/ALP-45DP and the NABIs. I think its time I should go get those gameday trains....

Yeah, they run with some real interesting consists. Just be careful (if you go to the stadium) of the stadium security guys like you see in the pics and the state troopers, they get all over my ass for taking pics and they might get even more pissed if you're there and not going to the game.

Yeah, they run with some real interesting consists. Just be careful (if you go to the stadium) of the stadium security guys like you see in the pics and the state troopers, they get all over my ass for taking pics and they might get even more pissed if you're there and not going to the game.

I'll be along the line, nowhere near the stadium.

Well, the main priority yesterday was to get people home after the game in time for Hurricane Sandy and the transit shutdown...

But these shuttles weren't helping out anyone needing to get home by transit, they were getting people to and from their cars. And even if the game somehow ended really late I'm sure these shuttles would run since it's a charter operation not affected by the transit system's shutdown.

It is, being an occasional/somewhat frequent user of Academy Perth Amboy's routes I was mad they had so many of their buses up here. Perhaps the one time a few weeks ago when my 810 didn't show it was because it broke down and they had too many buses up at the Meadowlands to send a replacement. Thing is the owner of Academy is on the NJT board, though I've seen CUSA using their state buses for charters as well.

I'm surprised the feds and NJ Transit don't know about this. Academy doesn't realize that using state-owned buses for charter operation is illegal. I know I've probably said this before, but they'd be screwing NJT and themselves if the feds found out what was going on.

I'm surprised the feds and NJ Transit don't know about this. Academy doesn't realize that using state-owned buses for charter operation is illegal. I know I've probably said this before, but they'd be screwing NJT and themselves if the feds found out what was going on.

Well like I said, the owner of Academy is on the NJT board, so NJT could very well know about this but won't screw over one of their board members. The feds on the other hand would more than likely have a problem with it. I really don't care if they use a few state buses, but to take so many that it could affect the operation of their state-subsidized or state-contract services is something else.

Archived