Subway sketch

This is (M)(A)(T)(T)(H)(E)(W)'s sketches. I really don't know where this fits but I decided to draw some trains and I hope this looks good. I can't draw them how they exactly look like but I tried, Here's the sketch of some train cars.

R.jpg

Very good man!

Thank you very much.

LOL @ the smiley face!

Awesome man!

Thanks. The reason why the smiley face is there is because I can't draw the (MTA) logo very well. I decided to put that instead.

Very nice. I don't bother with logos anymore because I almost got sued for drawing a Path train with it's logo. Did you see my R40?

I saw your R40 drawing on (:D. It's very colorful, I should have colored mine.

very nice....i wish I could draw like that...

Very nice. I don't bother with logos anymore because I almost got sued for drawing a Path train with it's logo. Did you see my R40?

are you serious??....now where not even allowed to draw logos?

I don't think it's illegal to draw logos. I didn't bother because I can't make the (MTA) logo look good.

I draw a PA-4 and had the logo on it and I got a email from the Port Authority requesting I take it down or I will be hit with a lawsuit. I asked why and they replied, it's carrying our logo and we didn't allow you to use it none to less post it on Deviantart. So I took it down and I never rode PATH again. I spit on PATH.

I draw a PA-4 and had the logo on it and I got a email from the Port Authority requesting I take it down or I will be hit with a lawsuit. I asked why and they replied, it's carrying our logo and we didn't allow you to use it none to less post it on Deviantart. So I took it down and I never rode PATH again. I spit on PATH.

If they do that, then they have to request every logo on Wikipedia to be taken down. I don't think they allowed Wiki to use it, did they?

I believe that drawing logos is fair use.

From aformentioned Wiki:

Fair Use Factors:

1 the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

2 the nature of the copyrighted work;

3 the amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole; and

4 the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

1. It is obviously a nonprofit educational work.

As evidenced by the use of the (MTA) logo on Wiki:

"The image is placed in the infobox at the top of the article discussing Metropolitan Transportation Authority (New York), a subject of public interest. The significance of the logo is to help the reader identify the organization, assure the readers that they have reached the right article containing critical commentary about the organization, and illustrate the organization's intended branding message in a way that words alone could not convey."

2. Logo. Cannot be reproduced in any other way.

From same Wiki page:

"Because it is a logo there is almost certainly no free equivalent. Any substitute that is not a derivative work would fail to convey the meaning intended, would tarnish or misrepresent its image, or would fail its purpose of identification or commentary."

3. Entire logo used.

Again from Wiki:

"The entire logo is used to convey the meaning intended and avoid tarnishing or misrepresenting the intended image."

4. Most likely will not hurt PATH because you're not selling it for profit

Again, if a logo is used to illustrate a certain organization, which is obviously what you're doing, IMO it's fair use and they had no right to do that. If people can put up that argument on Wiki then it can apply to your drawings too.

Archived