Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
RollOver

Why can't there be 10 min headways for the two Queens branches on the (A)?

The (A) has 10 minute headways between 207 Street and Rockaway Boulevard but 20 minute headways elsewhere with the exception of rush hour in the reserve direction. Does ridership warranted it? I know there aren't enough cars but what about the three stations between Rockaway Boulevard and Broad Channel as well as Far Rockaway-Mott Avenue and Ozone Park-Lefferts Boulevard? I frequent the (A) route and I've wonder that if increased service would mean increased ridership based on the population of the Ozone Park and Rockaway hoods.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

I would assume so...you gotta remember, once you're east of Rockaway Blvd your wait time doubles since points west are the combined frequencies of both branches.

Besides, the Rockaways are pretty much at the bottom of the barrel (the Rockaway Park branch more) in terms of ridership

• Upvote 1

The issue isn't the number of cars available, but the fact that a train every 5 minutes off-peak would probably be too much for the (A).

Like 24 trains per hour. I see what you mean.

I do notice that the (A) gets more ridership on the Rockaways in the summer than in the fall, winter, and spring. Since it has Beach crowds that get off at Beach 67th Street or that they use the (S) Rockaway Park Shuttle more.

Edited by RollOverMyHead

Since this is like the 1,000 thread of south of Rockaway Boulevard (A) service, I have an idea which makes sense. Rename the Rockaway Boulevard station to Cross Bay Boulevard. One less station with the word "Rockaway" to alleviate confusion.

• Upvote 2

Since this is like the 1,000 thread of south of Rockaway Boulevard (A) service, I have an idea which makes sense. Rename the Rockaway Boulevard station to Cross Bay Boulevard. One less station with the word "Rockaway" to alleviate confusion.

Let's keep the history spirit alive please.

• Upvote 1

The (A) is very busy, and often crowded throughout the day. I think it does demand it. I always thought the waits were too long for the line (and that in the section where bot branches are together; Manhattan and Brooklyn!)

• Upvote 3

The (A) is very busy, and often crowded throughout the day. I think it does demand it. I always thought the waits were too long for the line (and that in the section where bot branches are together; Manhattan and Brooklyn!)

True, though TheSubwayStation did say in the R32 thread that the (F) is busier and more demanding than the (A) long ago.

True, though TheSubwayStation did say in the R32 thread that the (F) is busier and more demanding than the (A) long ago.

I did say it, but I might be wrong. There are other people on this forum who know better. I am pretty sure, though, that the (F) is almost as long as the (A), and it gets more crowded. I'm aware that this doesn't necessarily mean that the (F) is more demanding, as I previously said. Edited by TheSubwayStation
  • Upvote 1

make off peak lefferts (A) a shuttle to euclid then boost rockaway (A) service problem solved. LEFFERTS Branch has much less ridership than the rockaways so why should the higher ridership branch get screwed for 3 measly stations that doesn't see near that level of ridership. For summer make all rockaway (A) s go to rockaway beach give far rockaway a frequent shuttle and lefferts a shuttle 3 stations plz there is no excuse for the shitty (A) service on the branches. Even on the main line it runs like shit.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

make off peak lefferts (A) a shuttle to euclid then boost rockaway (A) service problem solved. LEFFERTS Branch has much less ridership than the rockaways so why should the higher ridership branch get screwed for 3 measly stations that doesn't see near that level of ridership. For summer make all rockaway (A) s go to rockaway beach give far rockaway a frequent shuttle and lefferts a shuttle 3 stations plz there is no excuse for the shitty (A) service on the branches. Even on the main line it runs like shit.

:huh:

Edited by DanTheTransitMan
  • Upvote 4

This is why I smh every time people thinks because it's just 3 stations, then Lefferts should be given the short end of the stick because someone looked at the map and judged those stops as insignificant.

Edited by Grand Concourse
  • Upvote 3

Its like saying the Jamaica Center branch of QB should get inferior service compared to Hillside because it too is only three stops...

• Upvote 4

More like saying that the Dyre Avenue branch of WPR should get inferior service just because it only has four stops....

Not really. The Dyre has substantially less ridership than WPR.

Lefferts and the rockaways are fairly similar in ridership levels.

My mistake. :lol:

Lefferts can't handle all (A) trains. Expect a lot of shortturning at Rockaway Blvd and even Euclid Avenue.

Lefferts can't handle all (A) trains. Expect a lot of shortturning at Rockaway Blvd and even Euclid Avenue.

It should be able to. The (A) has less of a TPH than the (6), and both Lefferts and Pelham are designed the same way.

10 minute headways for either Lefferts Boulevard or Far Rockaway can handle it. The (A) already runs 38 trains at rush hour.

Edited by RollOverMyHead
  • Upvote 1