Why can't there be 10 min headways for the two Queens branches on the (A)?

RollOver

(A) Trains didn't have a problem when I saw them at Lefferts the other day. Only thing different is less layover time and morew trains. The (A) doesn't need 10 minute headways because the areas it terminates in have bus routes covering them. If you have the Q22, Q52, Q53, Q112 plus express buses there is no need for the line to be very frequent. Now lets say those bus routes are slow, unreliable, or don't cover the area the A will be more used.

service improves for both branches that way so nuff BS. Do you use the (A) @ off peak?

yes I have used the (A) off peak and those lefferts trains aren't exactly empty either. I don't care if all this bs is because u have some sort of disagreement with me, but look at art vandalay's post and see how wrong your idea of shafting lefferts is.

More like saying that the Dyre Avenue branch of WPR should get inferior service just because it only has four stops....

Not really. The Dyre has substantially less ridership than WPR.

Lefferts and the rockaways are fairly similar in ridership levels.

Dyre does get inferior service, but it gets enough when it's needed, and that's all that counts. The Lefferts trains aren't empty as there isn't any great other option in the area, it's the only low-cost thing around. I'm sure that Q10 are still packed and dollar vans have shown up to take people to the Rockaways and/or the airport especially now that the bridges are free. The idea is to have enough trains for the area to bring people in, there is no need to turn at Euclid (as said before) when there are more crews than usual at Lefferts, and more trains, and more people in that matter. I can see the (C) returning in some form to terminate at 145 if in fact Cranberry and related areas are ready to handle that amount of service. Do remember, that WTC needs less service than it used to being that PATH was flooded severely (not sure of the status of that tunnel).

(A) Trains didn't have a problem when I saw them at Lefferts the other day. Only thing different is less layover time and morew trains. The (A) doesn't need 10 minute headways because the areas it terminates in have bus routes covering them. If you have the Q22, Q52, Q53, Q112 plus express buses there is no need for the line to be very frequent. Now lets say those bus routes are slow, unreliable, or don't cover the area the A will be more used.

Err Q52 does not go all the way to far rockaway so 2 buses and a train is a good alternative?

Also, with additional (A) trains to decrease the headways, the Central Park West Line will not have the trains go in the right order (A), (D), (A), (D), etc. because there will not be an equal amount.

I highly doubt that...All they have to do is view and maintain the entire routes of the (A)(B)(C)(D)(E). Having the (A) run every 5 minutes, that's two (A) trains, one (C) train and one (D) train, all within ten minutes. I'm referring to the interactions too. Two trains on a route within ten minutes is 5 minute headways...

Not really. The Dyre has substantially less ridership than WPR.

Lefferts and the rockaways are fairly similar in ridership levels.

And sending a train to the Rockaways is much more expensive than sending a train to Lefferts. Not only would reducing Lefferts to a shuttle give Lefferts riders worse service, it would also cost the MTA significantly.

If the MTA is going to spend money, I'd rather see that money spent making service better, not worse.

Not to mention you have a fair share of riders on Lefferts Blvd taking the Q10 to the (E) or (F) at Kew Gardens for the direct ride to Midtown and Northern Queens.

The (A) is usually used to reach Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan.

Also, with additional (A) trains to decrease the headways, the Central Park West Line will not have the trains go in the right order (A), (D), (A), (D), etc. because there will not be an equal amount.

Not necessarily. I think on the weekends, there's 2 (4) trains for every (5) train because the (4) has to deal with Jerome Avenue and service between Brooklyn & Lexington Avenue by itself.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish we had 10 min headways! But I don't see it happening. As mentioned, between hoyt and canal, you'll see 2 As and a C all within 10 mins. Then factor in the 5 Rock Pk trains during the rush, the merge with the D on CPW. Then God forbid there's a block requiring a merge with the F from Jay to W4. Its a lot of trains with very little margin for error.

I guess Far Rock Depot is right. Ever since I first rode the (A), I did seen quite crowed (not packed) trains through Manhattan and Brooklyn aside from rush hour.

EDIT: I also think Howard Beach needs the service as well and the Far Rockaway station. To early to tell though.

Some of the issues around this issue do revolve around the current pick patterns, too. Explain later.

That's true? O.O I always believe 207th Street has flexibility like Flatbush Avenue, Ditmars Boulevard etc etc. An (A) coming from Far Rockaway can be sent out as a Lefferts Boulevard train and vice-versa. I think it will work. Sorry if that wasn't what you meant. Remember that the (A) runs every 3-5 minute headways at rush hour (Manhattan-bound in the AM Rush and Queens-bound in the PM rush) while off-peak it runs at 10 minute headways.

EDIT: I also think Howard Beach needs the service as well and the Far Rockaway station. To early to tell though.

Howard Beach, yes. Far Rockaway, not so much. Don't forget a lot of people on Far Rockaway also take the LIRR so it doesn't need a hell of a lot of (A) service. Just normal headways.

I also believe that Aqueduct would need the service, you know the racing days and the proposal of the new convention center. And with more Beach crowds in the summer, I think 10 minute headways should be needed more on the Rockaways through those times. Heck, they can even build a southbound platform at the Racetrack station for the new convention center and have all trains stop there at all times.

Howard Beach, yes. Far Rockaway, not so much. Don't forget a lot of people on Far Rockaway also take the LIRR so it doesn't need a hell of a lot of (A) service. Just normal headways.

Not that it really disproves your point, but the people out in Far Rockaway don't use the LIRR.

How about eliminate the C and run the (A) more often?

And what serves the local stations?

How about eliminate the C and run the (A) more often?

The (A) wouldn't handle Fulton Street and 8th Avenue by itself and furthermore, Ozone Park and Rockaway residents demand for a faster ride to Manhattan. The (A) is the longest line in the entire subway system and eliminating the (C) will cause a huge riot.

You can't base that on Far Rock alone. There's 5 other stops on the line as well. And the LIRR doesn't see that many riders as you may think. Trust me, I know.

The (A) wouldn't handle Fulton Street and 8th Avenue by itself and furthermore, Ozone Park and Rockaway residents demand for a faster ride to Manhattan. The (A) is the longest line in the entire subway system and eliminating the (C) will cause a huge riot.

Maybe run the same (A) trains that are express now.And the remaining trains run local like the (C).Might be a little confusing at first but then people would get used to it .

I know it probobaly dosent.but I was thinking if people want more service from Rockaway than this would be it.

But then they would have to run more and more trains on the entire (A) line, that's way too expensive and more car-intensive, hence the (C) being the local version of the (A) to supplement and share ridership...

I know it probobaly dosent.but I was thinking if people want more service from Rockaway than this would be it.

There are two issues... #1 folks know the (A) as the express and the (C) as the local. It's been this way for years so why get folks all confused now? Second, the (A) already has enough branches as it is. The only way to give more service to Rockaway is to simply run more (A) 's to cover that branch. For what it's worth though, I think both lines run like utter ****. The (A) always seems to be delayed as well as the (C).

Archived