Why can't there be 10 min headways for the two Queens branches on the (A)?

RollOver

I'm very sure that the (MTA) had scheduled the (A) to run every 10 minutes outside of rush hours.

Yes of course. In fact I actually checked the schedule for that very reason because I find the (A) to run like ****. The schedule may say every 10 minutes, but waiting there is another story. Based on the schedule though the service seems fine, so the question is reliability.

You do realize the order has been placed on the R179's to replace the R32's?? You got your wish.... there is no money to retire every single SMEE car at once.

Yeah I know, but I doubt the average customer doesn't know that. All they know is that they see an old car coming their way each and every day...

They can make it a priority to see that those cars are delivered as quickly as possible. I can assure you that the (C) will continue to be ranked as the worst line for years to come until that line gets new cars. Mark my words. :lol:

So you want them to RUSH the order, making shit cars which will be plagued with similar problems to the R44's and R46's, which were rushed for the same reasons.

They can make it a priority to see that those cars are delivered as quickly as possible. I can assure you that the (C) will continue to be ranked as the worst line for years to come until that line gets new cars. Mark my words. :lol:

It takes a long longer to assemble a rail car than it does a bus, especially because of all the new fangled technology on them.

Mind you, R32s isn't the only reason the (C) gets a low ranking. No overnight service, poor frequencies (still not as bad as the weekend (2) though; that has NTTs so in theory it should have better frequencies, no?) and crappy looking stations along the line can all contribute to a poor grade.

Yeah I know, but I doubt the average customer knows that. All they know is that they see an old car coming their way each and every day...

It was publicly announced on all local news channels. If the general public spends more time following celebrities and not issues that actually matter, that's not the MTA's problem.

It was publicly announced on all local news channels. If the general public spends more time following celebrities and not issues that actually matter, that's not the MTA's problem.

Yes, idiots follow the stupid Kardashians and then wonder why they're clueless about the MTA... :lol:

So you want them to RUSH the order, making shit cars which will be plagued with similar problems to the R44's and R46's, which were rushed for the same reasons.

Not at all... Prioritizing and rushing are two different things.

It takes a long longer to assemble a rail car than it does a bus, especially because of all the new fangled technology on them.

Mind you, R32s isn't the only reason the (C) gets a low ranking. No overnight service, poor frequencies (still not as bad as the weekend (2) though; that has NTTs so in theory it should have better frequencies, no?) and crappy looking stations along the line can all contribute to a poor grade.

A long longer?? Anywho, yes you're right about the other parts, but I think crappy looking stations somehow can be somewhat "tolerable" if that makes sense if the trains are newer. I feel like that when I take the (L) in Brooklyn.... Morgan Av is a ****hole but the new trains takes my eye away from the crappy station. :lol:

Not at all... Prioritizing and rushing are two different things.

The order is Bombardier's priority... they are doing the best they can... I don't know what more you want.

Continuing about the R46 thing... the TA was in a hurry to retire the Standards, and some of the later cars, such as the early Arnies, so they had Pullman and St. Louis hurry the orders. The old cars had to be put back into service because the frames were out of place and the rollsigns jammed often. Do we want a repeat of that?

The order is Bombardier's priority... they are doing the best they can... I don't know what more you want.

Continuing about the R46 thing... the TA was in a hurry to retire the Standards, and some of the later cars, such as the early Arnies, so they had Pullman and St. Louis hurry the orders. The old cars had to be put back into service because the frames were out of place and the rollsigns jammed often. Do we want a repeat of that?

IIRC (I know you and few others around here love those acronyms ;)) wasn't the Bombardier workers on strike or threatening to strike recently?

A long longer??

Indeed. Theoretically, an entire bus fleet could be delivered in a month (it happened to the TTC's 1990 D40s) but rail cars take longer. Let me point you to the R143s, to put it in a modern perspective; the contract was awarded in December 1998, but deliveries didn't commence until late 2001. That is a three year gap, and unless I'm much mistaken the R179 contract was only awarded in recent times as well (don't quote me on that, though, I know little about this stuff).

IIRC (I know you and few others around here love those acronyms ;)) wasn't the Bombardier workers on strike or threatening to strike recently?

Didn't hear about that... only strike I heard about was Hostess...

Even so, design drafts are being made. The (MTA) only awards the order, they have no control over what happens at Bombardier.

People just have to be patient. That's all... (I can imagine you in 20 years calling the R142's old... :lol:)

Didn't hear about that... only strike I heard about was Hostess...

Even so, design drafts are being made. The (MTA) only awards the order, they have no control over what happens at Bombardier.

People just have to be patient. That's all... (I can imagine you in 20 years calling the R142's old... :lol:)

You know something I believe those cars are now over 10 years old in some cases. I remember being in college up by Montréal and coming down to the city and seeing some of the first R142s on the (2). Even saw some on trucks being driven in and remember seeing some being tested up in Plattsburgh by the Bombardier plant. I think those cars are in decent shape. I just hope they keep them tidy looking and clean. <_<

I actually was complimenting the cars... <_<

---

So has anyone heard about any of the residents making a stink about the frequencies to Lefferts?

Didn't sound like that... it sounded like you were taking it as a matter of luck they stayed tidy this long...

-----

They are pretty poor... 15 minute frequencies at rush can't satisfy anyone...

I haven't but I really wanted to know if Howard Beach, Ozone Park, and the Rockaway Beach crowds warranted the service.

Well the frequencies aren't terrible, but since the commute is so crappy, I think some would argue that any increase in service could help. Of course frequencies aren't determined by how crappy the commute is... I did hear that fast ferries are being run temporarily down in the Rockaways at a discounted price....

I haven't but I really wanted to know if Howard Beach, Ozone Park, and the Rockaway Beach crowds warranted the service.

All three warrant the service... but then you get this issue...

The reason the (A) only has 20 TPH rush hour frequencies for one hour is because of balancing issues... you'd have too many trains on the main branch... plus... the (A) and (C) together in Cranberry would be 26-28 TPH... not enough of a margin for any reroutes or issues.

While the technical cutoff is 30 TPH, you don't want to go that high because the subway is so unpredictable.

Didn't sound like that... it sounded like you were taking it as a matter of luck they stayed tidy this long...

-----

They are pretty poor... 15 minute frequencies at rush can't satisfy anyone...

I don't think they're that high. I think the Lefferts (A) actually runs more frequently than the (C) during rush hour (going off the schedule anyway)

Archived