Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Railfan

Hurricane Sandy - Brighton Beach

As we all know this Historic storm , Hurricane Sandy, grounded all flights and suspended all Trains. Since i live minutes from the beach, i decided to visit and see what's up. These are taken a few hours before the High tide/Highest Storm surge occur. Also, keep in mind Brighton beach is located in Zone A, which is a Mandatory evacuation zone. Enjoy:

Kx8N6.jpg

BkAjm.jpg

9gf3d.jpg

1uoHD.jpg

uZDuo.jpg

BRZ8J.jpg

aMwoK.jpg

brtrO.jpg

5oaPU.jpg

GeybL.jpg

c00w2.jpg

2zZH9.jpg

SqxEc.jpg

SqxEc.jpg

1P96Q.jpg

yHZss.jpg

HuafV.jpg

oHIZa.jpg

l1A8H.jpg

jcQbe.jpg

Edited by East New York
  • Upvote 6

Excellent storm coverage, Mr.Railfan, the StormChaser!

Did you got caught by News Reporter by the chance?

Did you saw ABC7's Live News, that there was one man on JetSki riding wave on East River.

Some one in Rockaway Beach almost got suck into water and he want to get photo up close.

Edited by FamousNYLover

Excellent storm coverage, Mr.Railfan, the StormChaser!

Did you got caught by News Reporter by the chance?

Did you saw ABC7's Live News, that there was one man on JetSki riding wave on East River.

Some one in Rockaway Beach almost got suck into water and he want to get photo up close.

Thanks and no i didn't run into the news crew as they where a few blocks down the boardwalk. I'm still amazed at all the people just walking on the Boardwalk and beach even though the area is under a Mandatory Evacuation zone. Also the Boardwalk and beach were taped off, but people just ripped it down so they can go on the beach.

I hope everyone made it out safe with this storm. I have finally moved out of the area and sending this from a family members house. I regret to inform you guys but about 2 hours after these shots , Con Ed cut the power to Coney Island and a huge storm surge affected the area. Now although i live at the Highest geographical point at Brighton beach the storm surge still hit the first floor of my apartment building. The storm surge moved in from sheepshead bay and from the Atlantic ocean and met at approximately Brighton beach avenue and Coney Island avenue. This leaved houses directly adjacent to the Bay under over 1 1/2 stories of water. I will upload a bunch of pictures when i can, but the area is in ruins with no power, gas or phone/internet service. If you have class at Kingsbroro Community college then i highly doubt you have will have any class this month as there is a Yacht stuck in the lobby of the building by the main gate. The water also surged Inland and reached a bit farther then avenue U in some parts. I also visited Sheepshead bay station and judging by the water marks on the walls, the lobby was in higher then the top of the Turnstyles (about 2 feet from the roof). I will upload pictures when i can but i wanted to let you guys know the area faced extensive damage.

Edited by Mr Railfan