Superstorm Sandy: After the Storm: NYC Bus Service

Threxx

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will Staten Island and Brooklyn express buses be running into Manhattan tomorrow? Will they be fare-free as well since the subway is out? Or will they accept Unlimited Metrocard (at the $2.25 rate) in this emergency?

Earlier today, Governor Andrew M. Cuomo announced partial restoration of bus service, which began at 5 p.m. Buses are operating on a fare-free basis and on a Sunday schedule Tuesday. Attempts are being made to run as close to a full weekday schedule as possible on Wednesday. Rides will continue to be fare-free.

http://www.mta.info/

Earlier today, Governor Andrew M. Cuomo announced partial restoration of bus service, which began at 5 p.m. Buses are operating on a fare-free basis and on a Sunday schedule Tuesday. Attempts are being made to run as close to a full weekday schedule as possible on Wednesday. Rides will continue to be fare-free.

http://www.mta.info/

That still isn't clear though. As a express bus rider I can tell you that when they say "buses" it usually doesn't include express buses...

I would hope they'd cross-honor my Unlimited subway metrocard on the express bus from Bay Ridge/Bensonhurst or at least extend it by the number of days the subway is out? Otherwise I'd lose $3.46 * 3 days = $10.38 on my unlimited subway metrocard (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday) + lose an additional $5.50 * 2 = $11.00 (round-trip Wednesday express bus) = an additional $20.38 that I am paying?? (There is no feasible local bus alternative to Midtown from Bensonhurst if the subway is not running so "free local buses" are not a feasible alternative to extending the unlimited subway metrocard by several days.)

Many commuters can hardly afford the $2.25 fare as it is, have lost several days on their weekly/monthly metrocards, and simply cannot afford an additional $11 a day if they already paid what little money they had left for a weekly/monthly metrocard. Is the MTA asking these people to take a combination of 5 or 6 local buses plus a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge if they cannot afford the $11 fare if they won't accept their subway unlimited metrocard on an express bus in an emergency situation?

I would hope they'd cross-honor my Unlimited subway metrocard on the express bus from Bay Ridge/Bensonhurst or at least extend it by the number of days the subway is out? Otherwise I'd lose $3.46 * 3 days = $10.38 on my unlimited subway metrocard (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday) + lose an additional $5.50 * 2 = $11.00 (round-trip Wednesday express bus) = an additional $20.38 that I am paying?? (There is no feasible local bus alternative to Midtown from Bensonhurst if the subway is not running so "free local buses" are not a feasible alternative to extending the unlimited subway metrocard by several days.)

Many commuters can hardly afford the $2.25 fare as it is, have lost several days on their weekly/monthly metrocards, and simply cannot afford an additional $11 a day if they already paid what little money they had left for a weekly/monthly metrocard. Is the MTA asking these people to take a combination of 5 or 6 local buses plus a walk over the Brooklyn Bridge if they cannot afford the $11 fare if they won't accept their subway unlimited metrocard on an express bus in an emergency situation?

Maybe they aren't but I find it to be total BS that they didn't run any express bus service today which is why I'm calling my card company and asking for a credit back for the days I lost. If you're not going to run the service, fine, then extend my friggin days on my pass. Technically I paid $50.00 and really only used the pass one day fully on Saturday. Sunday part of the day and then nothing Monday and Tuesday. If they make them free tomorrow then I don't benefit from that since I already paid for it. They pulled that stunt last time too and I called up my card company and had them refund me for those days. They've giving free rides on my dime and whoever else paid for a pass so it isn't really free...

ouch I doubt they would make you do that but nothing surprises me. Besides if you cut out smoking you automatically can afford the express bus.

I did the same thing with my Direct TV. They're refunding me for the days that I'll be without service, so fair is fair. Shouldn't be any different for the (MTA). Today I was really hoping it ran too because I have stuff in the office to tend to and it would've been a pain getting car service with them charging riff off prices to go to the city so I just ran some errands here in the neighborhood and called it a day.

then you gotta pay, of course. Mta needs that money to pay for operational expenses ;)

Lol, don't worry, the MTA will get reimbursed by the Feds for all the "free" rides. From what I have seen in Queens, most runs have 2-3 people max so far tonight. I am sure the governmnet will reimburse them nicely for all of the empty runs.

Lol, don't worry, the MTA will get reimbursed by the Feds for all the "free" rides. From what I have seen in Queens, most runs have 2-3 people max so far tonight. I am sure the governmnet will reimburse them nicely for all of the empty runs.

Speaking of stealing money, I'm glad someone else noticed the games the (MTA) plays...

http://www.sheepshea...ing-your-money/

People should really speak up more about this crap. Imagine how much they make off of people this way... You know what I think I'm going to contact a few representatives about this. This should not be allowed and they should be stopped from ripping people off like this.

Good thing if I'm short on the fare I pay the rest in coins and ask for the transfer to another bus.

As for the express buses, turns out they won't be free after all... I hope there weren't many guys here planning a whole day around the express buses...

lol... And how did you find that out??

I'm just thinking like the (MTA) does... I mean hey they didn't provide any express bus service today and the "buses" were free, so why would they suddenly provide express bus service tomorrow and have the "buses" be free?? They didn't even make anything free before the storm. They cross honored MetroNorth and the LIRR but they still weren't free.

What folks don't realize is that the media thinks about express buses as an after thought, so when they say "buses" they usually mean local buses unless they specifically say "express buses". Staten Island and maybe a few other neighborhoods are the only places where they tend to include express bus info when talking about buses in general and even then they specifically say "express buses".

Express rides are NOT free....only LOCAL, LTD & SBS!

LOL.... Glad you clarified that... The problem is the media said "buses" but they just assumed everyone thought of local buses. I mean think about it... They should be free because if you use the subway you're going to need to spend much more time getting to your destination, so they'll eat the $2.25 but they're not going to eat $5.50. it's like giving away your premium service for free. In the 6+ plus years that I've been riding the express bus, I've gotten maybe 2 rides for free. The last one I got a while back ago heading home. The last bus was 20 minutes late and I called the depot and the dispatcher radioed into the B/O to tell him to let me on for free which worked perfectly because I was going to have to break in a new Metrocard since it was technically a new day but I didn't have to use it until the following day or whatever. They only give free rides when the express buses are really screwed up as in the driver f*cked up badly. It happened on the X16 years ago.. Two buses apparently bypassed the first stop there at Worth St and so we waited an hour for an X16. We went to the dispatcher and complained and he let us on the next bus for free, but that doesn't happen often at all.

QM1to6Ave can share his stories as well since he's an express bus rider too.

MTA press release states all buses including express buses are fare free. They are running Wednesday.

Local, Limited-Stop and Express Bus service will operate as close to a normal weekday schedule as possible today, as NYC Transit and MTA Bus continue efforts to restore service following Hurricane Sandy. As was the case yesterday, bus service will operate on a fare-free basis. Subway service remains suspended on all lines, as clean up and water remediation efforts continue, especially in underwater tunnels linking Brooklyn and Manhattan that were flooded during the storm.

http://www.mta.info/mta/news/releases/

I saw the Q25 run before 5:00PM. I saw the Q20/Q44 be rerouted via Horace Harding Expressway and Kissena Blvd. I believe the Q17 and Q88 are running and I never saw a Q64. I guess because of the subway problem or the streets being blocked. Why is the Q22 running isn't the rockaways evacuated and flooded?

I saw the Q25 run before 5:00PM. I saw the Q20/Q44 be rerouted via Horace Harding Expressway and Kissena Blvd. I believe the Q17 and Q88 are running and I never saw a Q64. I guess because of the subway problem or the streets being blocked. Why is the Q22 running isn't the rockaways evacuated and flooded?

Far Rockaway depot is in flood zone means no buses now. Plus the situation at the Rockaways is not yet stable by looking at the news outlets. things can change if they able to run bus service safely

good luck .

I don't need it but thanks. This nonsense happened last year and I called Amex and they took care of it. Now today I wanted to go the city and there was no express bus service so what I am paying for an express bus card for if I have to spend more money to get to the city in a quick fashion? That's complete robbery and I refuse to let them get away with it. In fact this is the second year they're pulling this crap and I just wrote to a Senator and a Assemblywoman who brought up this issue last year and am asking them to pass legislation to stop the (MTA) from being allowed to do this. There is no other place that I can think of that would be allowed to get away with this. Like I said I understand the situation but you have passengers paying for a service that they aren't getting so then you either refund them OR give them those days back on their pass. This isn't about money. It's about principle and doing what's right.

Far Rockaway depot is in flood zone means no buses now. Plus the situation at the Rockaways is not yet stable by looking at the news outlets. things can change if they able to run bus service safely

No buses were damaged, so if anything that shouldn't be a problem. The depots may be flooded but clearly if the buses weren't they must have moved them somewhere else.

No buses were damaged, so if anything that shouldn't be a problem. The depots may be flooded but clearly if the buses weren't they must have moved them somewhere else.

Buses are move to higher ground in their protocol.

MTA chairman says six bus depots are flooded. hopefully no serious damage to the depots or buses.

Buses are move to higher ground in their protocol.

MTA chairman says six bus depots are flooded. hopefully no serious damage to the depots or buses.

Right... Just the depots are damaged not the buses. Lhota confirmed this earlier this morning on various news stations. Subway cars are okay too.

Archived