Superstorm Sandy: After the Storm: NYC Bus Service

Threxx

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wed will be free till the evening rush, so it still applies.

I guess it makes sense if it's the SI express buses being free since it's that or the ferry (which I don't think is running yet). But this is where the B51 and B39 would be good to have right now...

Where exactly did you hear that the fare will start being enforced at 5 pm? The MTA's site mentions nothing of the sort.

I think it's like a miracle because the express bus I got on this morning was free, but God this can't go on much longer. Talk about obnoxious people! I hope they raise it to $6.00!! The traffic is horrible of course. Got into the city around 09:20 and still stuck in traffic, but it beats walking...

Delays Posted: 10/31/2012 8:38AM

All Queens local bus service has resumed with limited service except for the Q22, Q26, Q35, Q53, Q76 buses.

Some routes may be operating with minor detours due to street conditions, customers are advised to look for signage at bus stops.

Bus service sucks, lots of people waiting on the bus stops for more than 2 hours. Some stops are skip and not picking up passengers since there is no room. Lots of ambulances, traffic, NYPD cars, trucks,etc. Very messy day from my point of view in the Sunset Park/ Bay Ridge neighborhood of Brooklyn.

103112NYCtrsafficSandyatermath141503--525x600.jpg

4th Avenue in park Slope....Traffic is clear. :)

Express buses should be free for now also. Let's say that there's a family of 5 living in Brooklyn and they really need to visit their elderly/disabled relatives who are without power in Lower Manhattan If they had to pay for express bus fare then they may not want to spend $55 roundtrip just to visit, but if it's free then it's a no brainer. This helps everyone out all around.

Via, I completely understand what you mean, but this is a special case and we're still dealing with the direct effects of the hurricane.

Express buses should be free for now also. Let's say that there's a family of 5 living in Brooklyn and they really need to visit their elderly/disabled relatives who are without power in Lower Manhattan If they had to pay for express bus fare then they may not want to spend $55 roundtrip just to visit, but if it's free then it's a no brainer. This helps everyone out all around.

Via, I completely understand what you mean, but this is a special case and we're still dealing with the direct effects of the hurricane.

Yeah and then once the subways are back implement the fare back...

ouch I doubt they would make you do that but nothing surprises me. Besides if you cut out smoking you automatically can afford the express bus.

And if you don't smoke?

4th Avenue in park Slope....Traffic is clear. :)

Damn, is that an X7 in the pic? What the hell is it doing down there? I guess since the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel is flooded, it has to go over to the Brooklyn or Manhattan Bridge.

On a side note, free buses means a great chance to go busfanning. :P (Except that traffic is probably FUBAR all over the city)

Express rides are NOT free....only LOCAL, LTD & SBS!

My BM2 ride from East New York/Canarsie to Midtown this AM was FREE! So on the clarification, ALL (MTA) services including express buses are FREE (just for now), however the free ride won't last! ALL midtown BM2's were on crushloads. I was on the 6:30AM bus, got into midtown-23rd/Park on 8:10. and that's via the BQE, and a decent driver.

My BM2 ride from East New York/Canarsie to Midtown this AM was FREE! So on the clarification, ALL (MTA) services including express buses are FREE (just for now), however the free ride won't last! ALL midtown BM2's were on crushloads. I was on the 6:30AM bus, got into midtown-23rd/Park on 8:10. and that's via the BQE, and a decent driver.

Thank God for that... <_<

First of all... grammar, please.

Queens express buses are using the Queensboro, and I expect Brooklyn ones are using the Manhattan Bridge.

1/2 correct on the queens part. Spotted some College point buses on the Manhattan Bridge this AM via to FDR drive 1st Avenue and Downtown. Some are taking the BQE from Northern Blvd but most buses are taking the Queensboro bridge.

Would I be able to use my unlimited card on the Bus-Bridge shuttles?

It is free shuttle bus ride. No fare on the shuttle bus.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those who lived in Staten Island who uses Staten Island Ferry commute, latest update:

The city's Transportation Commissioner said that damage to both Staten Island Ferry terminals is the reason why ferry service has not yet been restored.

Janette Sadik-Khan said that in addition, there was damage to electrical components that operate the movable ramps.

"As we've cleaned the terminals around the clock and closely assessed and repaired each slip, we're getting closer to having all the pieces necessary to restore service safely," she said in a statement sent to the news media and ferry riders via email. "We still have more damage assessment and recovery left at St. George in particular before we will have a firm estimate on when service will resume, but we hope to make an announcement soon."

She said that the ferries themselves were securely moored throughout the storm.

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/10/city_hopes_for_announcement_so.html

from AMNY:

New Yorkers who live in downtown Manhattan have been without power for days, and also won't get any bus service at night.

The MTA stopped running its buses below 23rd Street because the lack of electricty was creating a "dangerous condition," the agency said Wednesday night.

“We suspended service south of 23rd street after dark due to the fact that there are no traffic agents or signals and conditions are not safe,” spokesman Kevin Ortiz said. He said the agency did the same on Tuesday night, and would continue canceling bus service at night below 23rd Street for as long as it took Con Edison to return power to the area.

A spokeswoman for Con Ed confirmed electricity had not been restored in Lower Manhattan, and said the company had no timeline for when it would be back on.

The MTA began running some buses Tuesday afternoon for the first time since a systemwide shutdown on Sunday night. It is planning to restore portions of its subway system Thursday at 6 a.m., officials said.

The MTA said buses would return in the morning.

http://www.amny.com/urbanite-1.812039/mta-stops-running-buses-below-23rd-street-1.4175448

Archived