Superstorm Sandy: After the Storm: NYC Bus Service

Threxx

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would hope the subway shuttle buses to Atlantic Ave, Jay St and Hewes St will run all night tomorrow night (not stop at 8:30pm). Have traffic agents at every corner of Lexington Ave going downtown tomorrow night if necessary - those buses are critical as they are the subway replacement.

My BM2 ride from East New York/Canarsie to Midtown this AM was FREE! So on the clarification, ALL (MTA) services including express buses are FREE (just for now), however the free ride won't last! ALL midtown BM2's were on crushloads. I was on the 6:30AM bus, got into midtown-23rd/Park on 8:10. and that's via the BQE, and a decent driver.

Found that out earlier. On the site, they were being very stupid with what they were saying. At first they said local buses, then local/exp, then local again.

1/2 correct on the queens part. Spotted some College point buses on the Manhattan Bridge this AM via to FDR drive 1st Avenue and Downtown. Some are taking the BQE from Northern Blvd but most buses are taking the Queensboro bridge.

QM7s and QM8 went through the BQE, shot a QM7 earlier making a turn off of Jay Street.

First of all... grammar, please.

Stop trying to be a stinkin' grammar nazi you fool....

Bad News VG8. Gov. Cuomo extended the period for "free fares" for all NYC buses and subways including express buses until at least this Friday 11/2/12. Only Metro North/LIRR is charging but off peak/weekend rates.

I have to say this is a TERRIBLE idea. On paper I understand it but you've got homeless types getting on the buses! Tonight there was some nut job that came on the bus with tons of milk crates and God knows what else and stunk like I don't know what. Now how is it that the buses are free but they're charging for MetroNorth & the LIRR???

I have to say this is a TERRIBLE idea. On paper I understand it but you've got homeless types getting on the buses! Tonight there was some nut job that came on the bus with tons of milk crates and God knows what else and stunk like I don't know what. Now how is it that the buses are free but they're charging for MetroNorth & the LIRR???

Taken directly from mta.info.

Governor Andrew Cuomo announced that the MTA's subway, bus and commuter rail services will be free for Thursday and Friday, to encourage the use of mass transit as the region slowly recovers from the devastating effects of Hurricane Sandy.

The free service will take effect Thursday at 12:01 a.m. until 11:59 p.m. on Friday, and will allow for free rides on the NYC Subway and Bus network, Long Island Rail Road, and Metro-North Railroad. Free travel will also be available on Access-a-Ride.

Taken directly from mta.info.

Governor Andrew Cuomo announced that the MTA's subway, bus and commuter rail services will be free for Thursday and Friday, to encourage the use of mass transit as the region slowly recovers from the devastating effects of Hurricane Sandy.

The free service will take effect Thursday at 12:01 a.m. until 11:59 p.m. on Friday, and will allow for free rides on the NYC Subway and Bus network, Long Island Rail Road, and Metro-North Railroad. Free travel will also be available on Access-a-Ride.

Must be recent because earlier they were saying that the LIRR & MetroNorth would be charging the off-peak rates once service was up... Well that's good... Now I'll have request a refund for at least 5 days....

BROOKLYN - MANHATTAN SUBWAY SHUTTLE BUS STOPS:

Buses will depart from the Atlantic Av-Barclays Center (D)(R)(4)(5) LIRR, Jay St-MetroTech (A)(F) and Hewes St/Broadway (J). and will run along the Bowery and 3rd Avenue (contra-flow)

The buses will stop at

---Delancey St/Bowery (northbound), Spring St/Bowery (southbound).

--- 9th St

--- 14th St

--- 23rd St

--- 33rd St

--- 42nd St

--- 54th St.

----before turning around to 57th St

from: http://transportationnation.org/2012/10/31/partial-ny-commuter-rail-back-today-some-subway-service-tomorrow/

Channel 4 had a chopper over the shuttle bus setup @ Barclay Center and :o:o

There's like a 1,000 people out there and you have to wait on line to catch a bus, and they said the wait is quite long too

Also I seen a 6300 Orion V on the shuttle :D

From what I seen the shuttle is using Orion OG/NG hybrids, RTSs and Orion Vs.

I guess the depots that have artics are covering one of the other two shuttles

Fool, a big chunk of the city are what you call "homeless people," and I'm one of them. The bus has electricity and heat, unlike my pitch black ice-cold house. It gets me out of this apocalyptic disaster zone and back into powered civilization. My entire life is now being run from the bus, so it better stay free, cause I'm not paying for Con-Ed's failures. Keep it free until power's back.

Speaking of not stopping below 23rd street, tonight I saw two M7s with artics out of Quill I believe since I saw the flashing SBS blue lights and such and then I saw two M11s with artics over by Lincoln Center. Was quite the sight.

Yeah, artics are all over the Quill routes, M11 was the biggest surprise.

Fool, a big chunk of the city are what you call "homeless people," and I'm one of them. The bus has electricity and heat, unlike my pitch black ice-cold house. It gets me out of this apocalyptic disaster zone and back into powered civilization. My entire life is now being run from the bus, so it better stay free, cause I'm not paying for Con-Ed's failures. Keep it free until power's back.

It's free until Friday and after that who knows... In any event I wouldn't exaggerate and call myself "homeless" if I didn't have electricity. That's a bit of a stretch. I've been living in NYC almost all of myself outside of Europe and I know a homeless person when I see one. I actually got a ride in today and just walked the last 20 or so blocks to the new office. I got my Italian gloves out now because last night it was cold out and the wait can be long for buses so between that and having to walk it felt great out this morning.

It's free until Friday and after that who knows... In any event I wouldn't exaggerate and call myself "homeless" if I didn't have electricity. That's a bit of a stretch. I've been living in NYC almost all of myself outside of Europe and I know a homeless person when I see one. I actually got a ride in today and just walked the last 20 or so blocks to the new office. I got my Italian gloves out now because last night it was cold out and the wait can be long for buses so between that and having to walk it felt great out this morning.

I did a little comparison, it's not all that far. No electricity, no gas, no heat, no water. I haven't showered or shaved, I seek refuge in warm banks, I sleep in a coat because the house is so cold, I wear an outrageous amount of layers on the street because I'm used to the cold, I walk around carrying a flashlight, my clothes are inside out because I've run out...my list can go on here. It sucks. I'm glad you have your Italian gloves, maybe you can share them?

I did a little comparison, it's not all that far. No electricity, no gas, no heat, no water. I haven't showered or shaved, I seek refuge in warm banks, I sleep in a coat because the house is so cold, I wear an outrageous amount of layers on the street because I'm used to the cold, I walk around carrying a flashlight, my clothes are inside out because I've run out...my list can go on here. It sucks. I'm glad you have your Italian gloves, maybe you can share them?

Jesus talk about being dramatic... I'm sure you must have family somewhere or can find a hotel somewhere that you can stay in for a little while. The ones in the city can be pricey at $200 - 300 a night (I know from experience) but in the outer boroughs, I would imagine they would be more reasonable. Even so with all of the friends you have around the city, surely someone must have power where you can go and shower and sleep and such. As for my Italian gloves, they're from last year, as is my Italian coat... I buy quality so I don't believe in buying that stuff every year... With the warm weather I've barely used any of the three coats that I have so they're practically new... I was shocked walking on Park Ave this morning to see that I was the only one with gloves on esp. since it was nippy out.

P.S. Deerskin Italian gloves with a cashmere or shearling liner are the way to go... :D

After I left Diamond Royal Plaza Condo, I stopped by my old house at Warren St to check on guests and went to Junction Blvd & Roosevelt Av after checking stove are off.

I wrote memo to guest if anyone want to go to Manhattan, please stay there and I'll be back around 10:30.

I boarded Hybrid NG on Q72 Rego Park #3587 departed at 8:45, which was male operator who knows me.

It was not CROWDED.

Arrived Junction Blvd/Corona Av at 8:49.

Total time: 4 minutes.

Next, I got able to get on crowded RTS on Q58 Flushing Limited #9596 departed 8:50. Local passenger, properly NYC Subway users still doesn't got educated Q58 has limited also. Male B/O said, "It's been 3-years and they still don't get it."

Arived 41st Rd/Main St @ 9:09.

Total time on bus: 19 minutes.

Next, I rush to Roosevelt Av/Main St for NICE Bus, which was on Sunday schedule.

While I was waiting for 9:30 bus, I made announcement that no Hicksville. I completely forgot n22 and n24 buses were running, so I chase after two ladies that I gave them wrong information.

While they rush into Nova LFS Artic on Q44 Jamaica, I told them to get on n22/n24 Hicksville.

Next, I boarded Orion VII CNG on 9:30 n20 Roslyn #1587 departed two minutes late at 9:32.

At red light, I asked male B/O if lift was working and he said, yes. Announcement was also working.

Once bus got onto Northern Blvd, one Q20A/B passenger got on wrong bus and I gave her wrong direction by mistake. I call to her to take Q76 bus which goes to Jamaica.

Arrived City Line-Glenwood St at 10:01, 4 minutes late.

Total time: 31 minutes.

I saw oncoming bus, so I darted across red light (don't want risk missing NICE since Sun schedule.

Next I got on Orion VII CNG on 9:40 n20 Flushing #1587 departed 4 minutes late at 10:05. She also told me lift was working.

This female B/O pickup some few Queens riders as in favor of free-fare, arrived Roosevelt Av/Union St at 11 minutes late at 10:31.

Total time: 26 minutes.

While I rushed to get on Q66 or Q48 bus across Main St, I passed NICE Bus stop.

I made announcement, "ATTENTION! ALL NASSAU COUNTY BUS RIDERS GOING TO HICKSVILLE, ALL N20 BUSES ARE ONLY GOING TO ROSLYN. FOR SERVICE TO HICKSVILLE STATION, PLEASE TAKE Q44 OR Q17 TO JAMAICA FOR N22/N24 HICKSVILLE!"

While I got to Q19/Q66 bus stop, line was strechting over to Prince St.

While 2nd bus moved, we got close to near where I could see Q48. I left my bookrack in line and went to front of layover bus to check to see Q48 Bus was moving. At 10:49, when I was near 2nd Q66 boarding, I saw Q48 started to put engine on, so I checked both way and darted in front of oncoming truck. (Some riders chased to get on Q48 bus as well).

Got on Orion V on Q48 LaGuardia #6142 departed at 10:50. Male B/O said some subway might be running tomorrow.

Arrived Roosevelt Av/108th St @ 11;03.

Total time: 13 minutes.

I walked all the way to my old house in Warren St, made quick-you-know-what, then went back to Diamond Royal Plaza condo and get money for my mom's Whole Food errand.

After that, I went back to old house.

At 12:30, I caught our best car service, Dominacana Car Service, however receiptionist told us that taxi was SOLD OUT because of Hurricane Sandy. All the guests in guesthouse doesn't speak English, only Japanese.

With five of us, we tried to flag car service or yellow taxi, it wan't impossible.

There was one nice male TLC driver on yellow cab, who stop, even thought he is not suppose to accepting 5 passengers and four guests on rear told him, "Can you drop him at 82nd St station" and he said sure.

It was #1W39 departed Roosevelt Av/Main St @ 13:08.

Friendly male taxi driver told us, "some subways might be running tomorrow."

Arrived Roosevelt Av/82nd St @ 13:16.

Total time on taxi: 10 minutes.

I got off and one of passenger move to front seat and I lined up for Q32 bus, which was strenchted to nearside of 82nd St Subway Station's NW corner stair.

We got on 3rd bus, Orion V on Q32 Penn Station #6081 departed 13:21.

It was UNREALIABLE CHAOS TO HELL RIDE I have encountered.

After people got off at major stop, people are fighting to GET ON THE CROWDED Bus, and male B/O has to tell passengers, "Please do not lean on the door!!"

It was craziest and longest ride I ever encounter on local bus, which normally takes 45-60 minutes, however it took more than that.

I figured because of Queens-Midtown and Brooklyn Battery Tunnels closed, there were lots of folks going over to Ed Koch Bridge.

Some passengers got off near Sunnyside Yard and walk across the bridge properly.

Once we hit the bridge, TRAFFIC WAS MOVING QUICKER than overcrowded Queens Blvd, which were making us our bus ride into SLOWWWPOKE the Pokemon.

After the bridge, traffic was moving quick on narrow 60th St.

While Q32 bus was turning left at 5th Av, I was happy that TeamMaster Local 553 did not sent any Horse Carriages out aftermath Hurricane Sandy.

Arrived 5th Av/58th St @ 15:57.

Total time: 156 minutes (2 hours and 36 minutes)

Next, I was worried about my friend who work at MET Museum, even thought museum was closing in five fifteen.

I rush to Madison Av/57th-58th Sts bus stop, first M1 I saw was impossible, M3, two M4s impossible.

Finally, we were able to get on empty Hybrid on M1 Harlem #6376 departed 16:10.

At one of bus stop, people who were waiting long time for bus didn't give prioty for female disabled rider on wheelchair and she was angry at the bus operator, even thought it's not his fault because impatient passengers don't want to wait any longer and became OVERCROWDED.

Arrived Madison Av/83rd St at 16:30.

Total time on bus: 20 minutes.

Even thought Museum Cafeteria was closed, I went to kitchen to see any employees are going home by bus. Some employee friends are. I was able to get my lunch, sandwitch and SODA and I took that to go.

My museum friend told me some employees they stay inside the museum since Sunday storm. It was like shelter for museum employees. They offer lunch, and blankets.

After I helped my friend, I rush outside and stand on small island on 79th St Transverse Rd to see which buses might be good, 5th Av bus or M79 bus because I miss the first one I saw.

I was able to get onboard Nova LFS Artic on M79 Riverside Dr #5849 departed 17:22, arrived 81st St/Central Park West @ 81st at 17:25.

M79 bus was unsually not too crowded. First one I missed was not crowded, but next one was crowded.

Next, I waited for M10 57th St bus and I thought M10 wouldn't be crowded since it doesn't serve purpose of 7th Av area, however I was wrong.

Three of us were able to get on overcrowded Hybrid on M10 57th St #3836 departed Central Park West/81st St at 17:55, arrived Broadway/61st St @ 18:36.

Total time: 41 minutes.

I raced throught Columbus Circle Whole Foods Market because I didn't want to miss the last QM10 bus, so I quickly did my shopping errand like in "SUPERMARKET SWEEPS! with small cart, and put Olivia Organic's Baby Spinach from East Coast, Uncle Mott's Apple Juice, since there was no grapefruit of NSAYA Organic Tofu, then 395 Brand's Flag and Honey Twix Organic Cereal, then got frozen organic meet from MEET section and rush like Forest Gump to cashier.

Cashier (2) was taken, and I was able to get #8.

After I got my change, with two shopping bags, I rushed along Columbus Circle, 59th St, saw that SCARY CRANE THAT WAS STILL DANGLING ON BUILDING OF LUXURY BUILDING THAT WAS BEING BUILT, and rush to 6th Av/55th-56th Sts.

When I saw QM15 bus, I asked bus operator to see if QM15 meets Q23 bus, but I decided not to because Q23 is one of busy MTA Bus route.

When I saw QM12, I decided not to get on, even thought it doesn't go exactly to Q72 bus.

I patiently waited for QM10 Rego Park and MCI Coach on QM10 Rego Park #3003 was not fully crowded and departed 19:30.

This male B/O was very nice and I think he was last QM10 driver.

Male B/O who wanted to go to Rego Park open his door for passengers and passengers were happy.

At 57th St-Madison Av, some riders that were on QM10 exit the bus and try to get on QM24 Glendale, but not sure if LGA B/O picked them up, even few local passenger ended up.

Male B/O told us tunnels blackout from storm and all the traffics were going over the bridge.

Once we got on upper level, it was smooth ride and bus driver had to make quick rest stop (no restroom stop) nearside Van Dam St, because bus operator got little sick (properly from huge traffic).

Once we got on Long Island Expressway, SMOOTH FAST RIDE to Woodhaven Blvd exit, then finally got off at 62nd Drive/Queens Blvd @ 21:28.

Total time: 120 minutes. (2 hours)

Next, I got on Hybrid NG on Q72 LaGuardia #3731 departed 21:55, arrived Junction Blvd/Roosevelt Av @ 22:15.

Total time: 30 minutes.

I rush to guest house, used quick-you-know-what, then check to see if any Supermarket near my house has Nsayo Organic Tofu, however it wasn't sold at 37th Av/89th St, so I went home.

THE END.

Channel 4 had a chopper over the shuttle bus setup @ Barclay Center and :o:o

There's like a 1,000 people out there and you have to wait on line to catch a bus, and they said the wait is quite long too

Also I seen a 6300 Orion V on the shuttle :D

From what I seen the shuttle is using Orion OG/NG hybrids, RTSs and Orion Vs.

I guess the depots that have artics are covering one of the other two shuttles

Morning commute suck...

With no power or subway service in Lower Manhattan, Brooklyn residents had to rely on buses to get into the city.

Thousands of frustrated Brooklynites circled the brand-new Barclays Center and waited hours to board Manhattan-bound buses.

With such huge crowds, some bus operators picked up passengers at the back of lines, just to get some people rolling -- to the anger of commuters in the front of line.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/subways_creak_bridges_tunnel_service_FFZMzg4Qpjbls1tVzWAGuL

^^Wow that's something... A co-worker of mine lives in Brooklyn Heights and said it was a rather easy commute. I missed two express buses this morning and then another lady came to the stop I was at and a man came over and offered both of us a ride since he needed to have three people in a car so I asked the young lady if she agreed and she said why not? I actually got into the office almost 20 minutes early even with having to walk a good 20 blocks. :D

Archived