Superstorm Sandy: After the Storm: NYC Bus Service

Threxx

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Gov Cuomo hasn't stole money from (MTA), all the exinct buses could have help relief crowds

Don't blame Cuomo. If it was not for his executive order, Lhota would have all of us paying for service now. I saw him on an interview on (I believe) NBC 4 right before Cuomo's announcement, and Lhota got pissed when the anchor asked if the free fares would continue. He said "no way, we need the money." I am sure the federal relief funds will pay for the free trips through the weekend because of the executiv order Cuomo signed.

Jesus talk about being dramatic... I'm sure you must have family somewhere or can find a hotel somewhere that you can stay in for a little while. The ones in the city can be pricey at $200 - 300 a night (I know from experience) but in the outer boroughs, I would imagine they would be more reasonable. Even so with all of the friends you have around the city, surely someone must have power where you can go and shower and sleep and such. As for my Italian gloves, they're from last year, as is my Italian coat... I buy quality so I don't believe in buying that stuff every year... With the warm weather I've barely used any of the three coats that I have so they're practically new... I was shocked walking on Park Ave this morning to see that I was the only one with gloves on esp. since it was nippy out.

P.S. Deerskin Italian gloves with a cashmere or shearling liner are the way to go... :D

There are no hotels and none of my family have power either. I'm actually not that badly spirited about this, I'm just annoyed that you're recommending killing all I have, which is the free bus.

The shuttles are quite something...every depot in the city, both NYCT and MTAB. Working okay so far.

Don't blame Cuomo. If it was not for his executive order, Lhota would have all of us paying for service now. I saw him on an interview on (I believe) NBC 4 right before Cuomo's announcement, and Lhota got pissed when the anchor asked if the free fares would continue. He said "no way, we need the money." I am sure the federal relief funds will pay for the free trips through the weekend because of the executiv order Cuomo signed.

I agree with Lhota. The fares should be in place, especially for the express bus, MetroNorth and the LIRR. They can keep the local bus free but the premium fare services should have the fares restored after Friday.

There are no hotels and none of my family have power either. I'm actually not that badly spirited about this, I'm just annoyed that you're recommending killing all I have, which is the free bus.

The shuttles are quite something...every depot in the city, both NYCT and MTAB. Working okay so far.

I can see having the free local bus, but not MetroNorth, LIRR and the express bus. Those are premium services that are expensive to provide in comparison to the local bus.

I can see having the free local bus, but not MetroNorth, LIRR and the express bus. Those are premium services that are expensive to provide in comparison to the local bus.

Not really today, though. With the subway out, people who would normally take the subway are taking these "premium services", and bringing down the cost per passenger.

On a side note, I wonder if there's any increase in the span/frequency of service on some of these lines. I could picture a line like the BxM4 or BxM11 being pretty crowded considering that they parallel the subway for most of the route.

Not really today, though. With the subway out, people who would normally take the subway are taking these "premium services", and bringing down the cost per passenger.

On a side note, I wonder if there's any increase in the span/frequency of service on some of these lines. I could picture a line like the BxM4 or BxM11 being pretty crowded considering that they parallel the subway for most of the route.

The fare is free across the board, so how exactly are they bringing down the cost per passenger?? I mean no one is dipping their Metrocard and there are no checkers so there is no way to track anything.

The fare is free across the board, so how exactly are they bringing down the cost per passenger?? I mean no one is dipping their Metrocard and there are no checkers so there is no way to track anything.

ahhhhhhh.gif

Cost per passenger is different from farebox recovery ratio.

If it costs (for example) $200 to make a trip on the bus, it doesn't matter whether there's 10 people on board, or 80 people on board. The cost is still $200. But if you have more passengers on board, the cost per passenger drops down. In this case, it would drop down from $20 per passenger to $2.50 per passenger. Revenue doesn't matter until you're calculating the farebox recovery ratio, which would be 0% no matter which mode you're talking about.

If you had those people taking a bunch of subway shuttles, the cost to transport them might be higher. Why? Because there's a cost involved with every vehicle they take. It might cost $1 per passenger for each of the 4 vehicles they take, compared to $2.50 for the express bus, because the express bus would likely be a little faster.

It doesn't matter whether there are checkers. The point is the people are being transported. It doesn't matter whether they're being counted.

ahhhhhhh.gif

Cost per passenger is different from farebox recovery ratio.

If it costs (for example) $200 to make a trip on the bus, it doesn't matter whether there's 10 people on board, or 80 people on board. The cost is still $200. But if you have more passengers on board, the cost per passenger drops down. In this case, it would drop down from $20 per passenger to $2.50 per passenger. Revenue doesn't matter until you're calculating the farebox recovery ratio, which would be 0% no matter which mode you're talking about.

If you had those people taking a bunch of subway shuttles, the cost to transport them might be higher. Why? Because there's a cost involved with every vehicle they take. It might cost $1 per passenger for each of the 4 vehicles they take, compared to $2.50 for the express bus, because the express bus would likely be a little faster.

It doesn't matter whether there are checkers. The point is the people are being transported. It doesn't matter whether they're being counted.

I think it was obvious that I was talking about the farebox ratio recovery if I mentioned cost. Why in the hell would I care if the cost per passenger went down if the (MTA) isn't getting any money during this period?? The (MTA) can't afford free fares and the State can't either. That's the point. You'll do anything to try to justify your free transit agenda. <_< Smh

I think it was obvious that I was talking about the farebox ratio recovery if I mentioned cost. Why in the hell would I care if the cost per passenger went down if the (MTA) isn't getting any money during this period?? The (MTA) can't afford free fares and the State can't either. That's the point. You'll do anything to try to justify your free transit agenda. <_< Smh

If you're going to be obnoxious about it, at least get the term right. It's farebox recovery ratio, not farebox ratio recovery, smart one. (Yeah, yeah, yeah, and then you're going to start with the "Oh, he's getting all technical and gets an ego boost out of proving people wrong" BS.)

Uh, if the cost per passenger goes down, that means the MTA is spending less money to transport the people who live in further out areas, smart one. So they're saving money as far as this specific time period is concerned.

Talking about free fares after a disaster has nothing to do with free fares year-round. So yeah, take that <_< and shove it.

If you're going to be obnoxious about it, at least get the term right. It's farebox recovery ratio, not farebox ratio recovery, smart one. (Yeah, yeah, yeah, and then you're going to start with the "Oh, he's getting all technical and gets an ego boost out of proving people wrong" BS.)

Uh, if the cost per passenger goes down, that means the MTA is spending less money to transport the people who live in further out areas, smart one. So they're saving money as far as this specific time period is concerned.

Talking about free fares after a disaster has nothing to do with free fares year-round. So yeah, take that <_< and shove it.

The fact still remains we can't afford it, period and even Joe Lhota confirmed that. He clearly isn't concerned with the cost per passenger like you are in this case. He cares about REVENUE which is my point.

The fact still remains we can't afford it, period and even Joe Lhota confirmed that. He clearly isn't concerned with the cost per passenger like you are in this case. He cares about REVENUE which is my point.

Yeah, he's talking about revenue for the system in general, not revenue coming from the express buses.

Look, this is only going to go on for two more days. Fares will be restored Saturday morning (and aside from that, we have another fare hike coming up). A week (actually less than that) of free service after a natural disaster isn't going to break the bank (especially if they receive some sort of federal funds).

Yeah, he's talking about revenue for the system in general, not revenue coming from the express buses.

Look, this is only going to go on for two more days. Fares will be restored Saturday morning (and aside from that, we have another fare hike coming up). A week (actually less than that) of free service after a natural disaster isn't going to break the bank (especially if they receive some sort of federal funds).

Uh huh sure... I'd like to know just how much this is costing the state to run free service for the LIRR, MetroNorth and the express bus and local bus? Cuomo was just on the news the other day talking about how broke the state is and now he's being "generous" with free service?? Please... These so called free rides will be paid for by us twice over through some sort of backdoor tax one way or another. It's nice to see how naïve you are on the issue, as if these free rides are going to pay for themselves.

Uh huh sure... I'd like to know just how much this is costing the state to run free service for the LIRR, MetroNorth and the express bus and local bus? Cuomo was just on the news the other day talking about how broke the state is and now he's being "generous" with free service?? Please... These so called free rides will be paid for by us twice over through some sort of backdoor tax one way or another. It's nice to see how naïve you are on the issue, as if these free rides are going to pay for themselves.

There are 52 weeks in a year. This free service lasted for less than a week. That means we're talking about something like 1.5% of the annual fare revenue (Not to mention the fact that the MTA gets revenue from other sources besides the fare).

It's a cost of the storm. What can we do? We have millions of dollars in damage throughout the system (and the city in general), not to mention the costs of preparing for the storm in the first place. The cost of the fare revenue they lost really isn't that much in the grand scheme of things.

There are much bigger costs to worry about than a little bit of fare revenue. Supermarkets had to throw out millions of dollars worth of food. There was probably billions of dollars in property damage, not to mention lost tax revenue because of tourism, businesses closing, employees having to take the day off (and not pay the taxes on a days worth of pay) and so on. We'll be paying for it one way or another.

There are 52 weeks in a year. This free service lasted for less than a week. That means we're talking about something like 1.5% of the annual fare revenue (Not to mention the fact that the MTA gets revenue from other sources besides the fare).

It's a cost of the storm. What can we do? We have millions of dollars in damage throughout the system (and the city in general), not to mention the costs of preparing for the storm in the first place. The cost of the fare revenue they lost really isn't that much in the grand scheme of things.

There are much bigger costs to worry about than a little bit of fare revenue. Supermarkets had to throw out millions of dollars worth of food. There was probably billions of dollars in property damage, not to mention lost tax revenue because of tourism, businesses closing, employees having to take the day off (and not pay the taxes on a days worth of pay) and so on. We'll be paying for it one way or another.

Very nice of you to dodge my question by minimizing things as usual when it comes to giving free rides. I asked a very simple question which is how much is it costing the State to provide free transportation for some 8 million riders daily across the system? Supermarkets I don't care about because supermarkets are private. The (MTA) isn't hence the difference. The fact that we've lost so much money already is exactly why these services should not be free.

Cuomo can't say on the one hand that we're broke and then turn around and give out free rides. I mean which is it?? That's like someone saying they're broke and then going out and blowing a **** load of money all in the same breath. Yeah we're broke but let's provide free rides for over 8 million riders.... Smh Lhota was right to respond how he did otherwise it would put into question just how legitimately "broke" the (MTA) is. A broke agency doesn't give out free rides and neither does a "broke" NY state.

If you were broke, but you ended up in a bad accident and had to pay the hospital bill, you'd get whatever medical care that's necessary and worry about the costs later. It's the same thing here. With power out in many areas of the city and people still having to get back to their homes (after having evacuated) or checking on relatives or whatever, having free transit helps the situation.

Aside from that, I'm sure the federal government will provide assistance, so it isn't just going to be on the state and MTA.

And yes, I did answer the question: I said about 1.5% of the annual fare revenue. I'm sure if I dove into the MTA books, I'd find the exact number, but I don't see the need to do that.

Um hmm.... Spend now and worry about the costs later which ultimately the taxpayer will pay for twice over... Very smart way of handling things... Exactly why the state and the country for that matter is broke now... I'd rather not get free rides if it means that I'll be seeing back door taxes in the near future which I can assure you taxpayers like myself will get. You don't have to pay taxes yet so you wouldn't care either way.

It's interesting how finding facts is so quick and easy for you usually but not in this case... 1.5% of the annual revenue which is what? That's the big question....

Um hmm.... Spend now and worry about the costs later which ultimately the taxpayer will pay for twice over... Very smart way of handling things... Exactly why the state and the country for that matter is broke now... I'd rather not get free rides if it means that I'll be seeing back door taxes in the near future which I can assure you taxpayers like myself will get.

It's interesting how finding facts is so quick and easy for you usually but not in this case... 1.5% of the annual revenue which is what? That's the big question....

Oh, it's quick and easy, but I just didn't feel like looking.

But since apparently you lack the mental capacity to do an internet search (and do basic math). I'll do you a favor: http://www.ibo.nyc.ny.us/iboreports/mtareportaugust2011.pdf

One thing says $10.88 billion, but my calculations say it's $11.72 billion (though they say $10.88 billion was for 2010, so maybe it is $11.72 billion).

In any case, 1.5% of 42% is 0.63%. That would be about $73 million (if we're using $11.72 billion). But again, there are billions of dollars in damage that taxpayers will be burdened with as a result, so $73 million is a drop in the bucket, especially considering the MTA will likely be reimbursed by the federal government.

Archived