Superstorm Sandy: After the Storm: NYC Bus Service

Threxx

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, it's quick and easy, but I just didn't feel like looking.

But since apparently you lack the mental capacity to do an internet search (and do basic math). I'll do you a favor: http://www.ibo.nyc.n...taugust2011.pdf

One thing says $10.88 billion, but my calculations say it's $11.72 billion (though they say $10.88 billion was for 2010, so maybe it is $11.72 billion).

In any case, 1.5% of 42% is 0.63%. That would be about $73 million (if we're using $11.72 billion). But again, there are billions of dollars in damage that taxpayers will be burdened with as a result, so $73 million is a drop in the bucket, especially considering the MTA will likely be reimbursed by the federal government.

Well $73 million is a drop in bucket when you don't pay any taxes so yeah I'd say it's nothing too...

As bad as the short term loss of no revenue is, the overall shutdown of the city would be more costly. As least if people can get to work, that's money spent and could be sent back to the state via taxes. Iirc (in 2006) San Francisco alloted 3 free days a year for 'air quality control'.

San Francisco I'm sure allotted for 3 free days and planned... That's the difference here. Making the local buses free I can understand, but the main thing that you do is force folks to have 3-4 in a car that choose to drive... That's what will make the difference. If people need to get to work they're going to pay for it because it is a necessity, not an option. Therefore the LIRR, MetroNorth and the express bus should not be free. You're already providing free local buses AND shuttle buses. That's good enough as far as I'm concerned.

Well $73 million is a drop in bucket when you don't pay any taxes so yeah I'd say it's nothing too...

Says who? I work part-time and pay taxes, my parents pay taxes, and aside from that, there's taxes on everything we buy. Everybody pays sales tax and cell phone taxes and all that.

Aside from that, when I get out of college and get a full-time job, I'll be paying even more taxes.

My point is stop acting like you're this high-and-mighty person and you're the only one who pays taxes. You're not. I don't care what you say about your $1,100 coats and $100, you're just a wannabe. You're just an average guy, the same way we're average people, and so I highly doubt your tax bill is that much higher than ours, so spare me.

San Francisco I'm sure allotted for 3 free days and planned... That's the difference here. Making the local buses free I can understand, but the main thing that you do is force folks to have 3-4 in a car that choose to drive... That's what will make the difference. If people need to get to work they're going to pay for it because it is a necessity, not an option. Therefore the LIRR, MetroNorth and the express bus should not be free. You're already providing free local buses AND shuttle buses. That's good enough as far as I'm concerned.

It's not just about getting to work. People need to get back and forth from their home to zones with power, check on relatives, and so on.

Says who? I work part-time and pay taxes, my parents pay taxes, and aside from that, there's taxes on everything we buy. Everybody pays sales tax and cell phone taxes and all that.

Yeah so what... You're not running your own household... That's my point. It has nothing to do with how much I make or you make. Mommy and daddy are supporting you and putting a roof over your head and food in your stomach. When you start paying your own way like I do without mommy and daddy you can come back to me and talk about paying taxes. Until then please. I've been working since I was 15 and certainly way more than you have. At the end of the day I pay my own way, period with my own money.

Speaking of stealing money, I'm glad someone else noticed the games the (MTA) plays...

http://www.sheepshea...ing-your-money/

People should really speak up more about this crap. Imagine how much they make off of people this way... You know what I think I'm going to contact a few representatives about this. This should not be allowed and they should be stopped from ripping people off like this.

This is why you should be responsible and keep track of your money on PPR or do what most ppl already do go unlimited.

I agree with Lhota. The fares should be in place, especially for the express bus, MetroNorth and the LIRR. They can keep the local bus free but the premium fare services should have the fares restored after Friday.

I can see having the free local bus, but not MetroNorth, LIRR and the express bus. Those are premium services that are expensive to provide in comparison to the local bus.

STOP BEING ARROGANT many people have no power and gas and you have the nerve to talk this ARROGANT SHIT ABOUT PREMIUM SERVICES PLZ STFU!!!!!! TRY being in their shoes without power I however got lucky and still have power but still many in CT and upstate are suffering F OFF and sit down before speaking arrogant heartless BS like this.

The free rides, express buses and railroads included, will come back to the city from the disaster relief funds. The MTA does not need to worry about losing money For these days.

Right now, all government agencies are not just looking after themselves, like they normally do. All departments are working together (as much as possible) to help recover. Tis means that the MTA is giving free rides so that people can get to work and get the economy and clean up going, and fewer people are in cars stressing the roads and bridges. It means people who need food can travel on their own to the trucks giving out food, so the government does not need to come to each house. It saves monet overall, and in bloomberg's words, just makes sense. Frankly, this should happen more often, instead of having every department looking only after its own bottom line.

Stop thinking about this In terms of how much money each department is losing. W will get a ton of money from FEMA and split it up accordingly. Trust me, all those beurecreats will be calculating just how much money their departments are entitled to. The MTA is doing its part, just like every other city and state agency,

>>>Therefore the LIRR, MetroNorth and the express bus should not be free. You're already providing free local buses AND shuttle buses. That's good enough as far as I'm concerned.<<<

<_<

You just don't wan't homeless types being near you and your "Eye-tahl-yen" gloves. :rolleyes: NYC is recovering from a major storm and all you can focus on are your petty prejudices. Honestly, I don't know how people even tolerate you. Circumstances can make you a "homeless type."

Anyway, glad to see bus service is up and running. Another message board I posted at was predicting the worst after the storm including the subway not running for months.

Yeah so what... You're not running your own household... That's my point. It has nothing to do with how much I make or you make. Mommy and daddy are supporting you and putting a roof over your head and food in your stomach. When you start paying your own way like I do without mommy and daddy you can come back to me and talk about paying taxes. Until then please. I've been working since I was 15 and certainly way more than you have. At the end of the day I pay my own way, period with my own money.

And how the hell do you know that? Stop acting like you have a personal window into everyone's life. Until you have some facts, sit down and behave... seriously.

>>>Therefore the LIRR, MetroNorth and the express bus should not be free. You're already providing free local buses AND shuttle buses. That's good enough as far as I'm concerned.<<<

<_<

You just don't wan't homeless types being near you and your "Eye-tahl-yen" gloves. :rolleyes: NYC is recovering from a major storm and all you can focus on are your petty prejudices. Honestly, I don't know how people even tolerate you. Circumstances can make you a "homeless type."

Anyway, glad to see bus service is up and running. Another message board I posted at was predicting the worst after the storm including the subway not running for months.

We don't.

<_<

STOP BEING ARROGANT many people have no power and gas and you have the nerve to talk this ARROGANT SHIT ABOUT PREMIUM SERVICES PLZ STFU!!!!!! TRY being in their shoes without power I however got lucky and still have power but still many in CT and upstate are suffering F OFF and sit down before speaking arrogant heartless BS like this.

Lhota believes that fares should be charged because the (MTA) can't afford the free rides... I support the (MTA) getting monies that it desperately needs in a time of fiscal crisis. Nothing arrogant about that at all. The only reason the local buses should be free is because there is limited subway service.

And how the hell do you know that? Stop acting like you have a personal window into everyone's life. Until you have some facts, sit down and behave... seriously.

He stated he works part time... Not very hard to figure out.

Lhota believes that fares should be charged because the (MTA) can't afford the free rides... I support the (MTA) getting monies that it desperately needs in a time of fiscal crisis. Nothing arrogant about that at all. The only reason the local buses should be free is because there is limited subway service.

So you worked full-time when you were 15? Whatever you say...

I'm SO HAPPY that Riverdale is fine. It would have been a f**king TRAGEDY if a leaf fell off of one of the trees... smh

I have to say this is a TERRIBLE idea. On paper I understand it but you've got homeless types getting on the buses! Tonight there was some nut job that came on the bus with tons of milk crates and God knows what else and stunk like I don't know what. Now how is it that the buses are free but they're charging for MetroNorth & the LIRR???

You could capitalize on this and mess with them you know, de-incentivise from getting on. I personally like to make holes in coins, and tie a string through the hole. Then I ask them if they need any help, and if they say yes I drop the coin in their hands ,while holding on to the string of course. Finally when they are getting adjusted to the money they just recieved and thanking me for what a kind person I have been, I yank the coins right out of their hands. You should see the looks on their faces. Try it, works wonders.

You could capitalize on this and mess with them you know, de-incentivise from getting on. I personally like to make holes in coins, and tie a string through the hole. Then I ask them if they need any help, and if they say yes I drop the coin in their hands ,while holding on to the string of course. Finally when they are getting adjusted to the money they just recieved and thanking me for what a kind person I have been, I yank the coins right out of their hands. You should the looks on their faces. Try it, works wonders.

LOL!! :lol:

My point is that you have to stop with this BS about taxes. You're acting like you make a ton of money and pay so much more in taxes compared to everybody else. You say I'm not supporting myself so I shouldn't have a say in the matter? Then fine. How come my parents have no problem with the free fares? (And they're not even using the buses & subways yet to take advantage of them). Because they're not selfish like you and understand that free fares will help the situation. "Oh, help me Lord, I have to share a bus with "homeless types"", like it's the end of the damn world. <_< We just got through a natural disaster. Free express bus rides are the least of our concerns.

Hell, you don't think any of the other members here pay taxes? How come you don't see any of them complaining about the free rides? Gorgor lives on the Upper East Side. I'm sure he pays a lot in taxes. Why isn't he complaining? I'm sure some of the conductors & B/Os here pay a lot of taxes. Why aren't they complaining?

And just so you know, there are still subway lines out of service in the outer boroughs, like the Brighton Line & Dyre Avenue Line. (Not to mention the ferry was out before, though I think they got it running by now). With the limited subway service they have, they're trying to compensate by running express buses. Are there areas where the subway was fixed up and is running decently and is a reasonable alternative to the express bus? Yes, but why complicate matters by saying that the fare is restored on specific routes?

This is why you should be responsible and keep track of your money on PPR or do what most ppl already do go unlimited.

More people use PPR than Unlimiteds.

LMAO. Notice how he doesn't respond back.

I'm SO HAPPY that Riverdale is fine. It would have been a f**king TRAGEDY if a leaf fell off of one of the trees... smh

My point was that when he starts paying his own way without mommy and daddy supporting him then he can come to me and tell me about taxes. I'm not concerned about what other people think about their money. I'm concerned about my tax dollars, and how much I earn or pay in taxes is irrelevant. I'm also not sure what Riverdale or any other neighborhood for that matter that I don't reside in has to do with this conversation... Seems like anytime you disagree with someone you start talking about where you think they live... Completely irrelevant.

My point is that you have to stop with this BS about taxes. You're acting like you make a ton of money and pay so much more in taxes compared to everybody else. You say I'm not supporting myself so I shouldn't have a say in the matter? Then fine. How come my parents have no problem with the free fares? (And they're not even using the buses & subways yet to take advantage of them). Because they're not selfish like you and understand that free fares will help the situation. "Oh, help me Lord, I have to share a bus with "homeless types"", like it's the end of the damn world. <_< We just got through a natural disaster. Free express bus rides are the least of our concerns.

Hell, you don't think any of the other members here pay taxes? How come you don't see any of them complaining about the free rides? Gorgor lives on the Upper East Side. I'm sure he pays a lot in taxes. Why isn't he complaining? I'm sure some of the conductors & B/Os here pay a lot of taxes. Why aren't they complaining?

And just so you know, there are still subway lines out of service in the outer boroughs, like the Brighton Line & Dyre Avenue Line. (Not to mention the ferry was out before, though I think they got it running by now). With the limited subway service they have, they're trying to compensate by running express buses. Are there areas where the subway was fixed up and is running decently and is a reasonable alternative to the express bus? Yes, but why complicate matters by saying that the fare is restored on specific routes?

As I said before, I don't care who makes what. I'm concerned about my tax dollars. If Gorgor and whoever else is fine with what goes on with their tax dollars, that's their business and it certainly isn't my business, nor does it have anything to do with how I should feel about my tax dollars. In the end what other people think about their tax dollars isn't my concern. I'm concerned about my tax dollars, period, and that's what everyone else should be concerned with. I'm entitled to speak out upon what is done with my money, just like everyone else is and just because others disagree doesn't mean I'm not entitled to my opinion.

How does this turn into an economical debate?

Ask that elitist thing above you.

My point was that when he starts paying his own way without mommy and daddy supporting him then he can come to me and tell me about taxes. I'm not concerned about what other people think about their money. I'm concerned about my tax dollars, and how much I earn or pay in taxes is irrelevant. I'm also not sure what Riverdale or any other neighborhood for that matter that I don't reside in has to do with this conversation... Seems like anytime you disagree with someone you start talking about where you think they live... Completely irrelevant.

Do you realize that everything you say in any thread is irrelevant... pot calling the kettle black...

As I said before, I don't care who makes what. I'm concerned about my tax dollars. If Gorgor and whoever else is fine with what goes on with their tax dollars, that's their business and it certainly isn't my business, nor does it have anything to do with how I should feel about my tax dollars. In the end what other people think about their tax dollars isn't my concern. I'm concerned about my tax dollars, period, and that's what everyone else should be concerned with. I'm entitled to speak out upon what is done with my money, just like everyone else is and just because others disagree doesn't mean I'm not entitled to my opinion.

Good. Then have your opinion. And we have every right to criticize it.

Seems like anytime you disagree with someone you start talking about where you think they live... Completely irrelevant.

Well maybe if you weren't rubbing it in everybody's face, he wouldn't bring it up.

Guys, I just want to make something clear.

When you disagree or argue with someone you should try and prove that they're wrong BASED ON WHAT THEY SAY, not based on where they live.

I could easily go and say that Threxx's ideas don't mean crap because his profile says he lives in Bed-Stuy, which I believe is a poor ghetto neighborhood with gangs, but I don't. Even though I may associate that neighborhood with that, I treat him as I would anyone else because that information is completely irrelevant in this discussion. Also, just because a neighborhood may have an undesirable trait in your eyes associated with it, doesn't mean that every single person living there fits that profile. I have absolutely no problem if you dislike me or criticize me, so long as it's based on what I post, and not where I live.

(Threxx, just using you as an example, no offense intended at all)

You can't be serious right?

What point of disaster relief fund do you NOT understand. MTA will get fully reimbursed for all of this. Plus due to the storm express bus and LIRR/MNRR are the only means of transport for many people. Those who live in queens now must use buses like QM4,5/6 and 1 and QM21 and x63 ect those in bay ridge must use X27 or X28 there is no other option! Many in the Bronx must use BXM6&7 if you thought they had high ridership before then dear god you have not seen nothing yet!!! Luckily QM5 &6 run frequently along with QM2 and 20 which are now the Only means of getting to MANHATTAN along with the LIRR get your head out of your ass and wake up. Your tax dollars do not mean shit now. Better idea do not comment in this thread again you will only anger more people here that lack my patience.

Better grammar for you gorgor?

I wonder what kind of drugs you are smokin?

What point of disaster relief fund do you NOT understand. MTA will get fully reimbursed for all of this. Plus due to the storm EXPRESS BUS AND MNRR ARE NOW THE ONLY WAY TO REACH MANHATTAN for many people who live in queens now must use buses like QM4,5/6 and 1 and QM21 and 63 sct those in bay ridge must use X27 or X28 there is NO CHOICE!!!!!! Many in the bronx HAVE TO USE BXM6&7 if you thought they had high ridership before ohh god you have not seen nothin yet!!! Luckily QM5 &6 run frequently along with QM2 and 20 which are now the ONLY MEANS OF GETTING TO MANHATTAN along with LIRR get ur head out of your ass and wake up. Your tax dollars do not mean shit now. Better idea do not comment in this thread again you will only anger more people here that lack my patience.

Dude, what patience?

I agree with you that those are the only options for some people coming into Manhattan, but you need to relax. The lack of grammar and unnecessary and excessive capitalization makes you look retarded and I, as well as everyone else, can't take you seriously. And starting off with "I wonder what kind of drugs you are smokin?" is not only rude, but shows your level of immaturity. Your argument is good and I agree with it, but in reality it's you who looks like they're smoking drugs.

Dude, what patience?

I agree with you that those are the only options for some people coming into Manhattan, but you need to relax. The lack of grammar and unnecessary and excessive capitalization makes you look retarded and I, as well as everyone else, can't take you seriously. And starting off with "I wonder what kind of drugs you are smokin?" is not only rude, but shows your level of immaturity. Your argument is good and I agree with it, but in reality it's you who looks like they're smoking drugs.

Edited it you killed the joke but oh well. It is in perfected English now.

Archived