R62As returning to the 6 - why so much backlash?

RPTA

And for the umpteenth time, R62as are not even 30 yrs old. How about being more concerned with replacing the R32/42/46s first which are much older? You can't seriously believe that with all the older trains around that replacing still serviceable trains because some people thinks they are 'old' is a smart use of limited funds do you?

If you think it's bad with a current base fare of $2.25, watch that go up by double or more to cover the costs of the expenses. What will you do if they made express buses $10 per ride? Is all that worth it because one segment is that dead set against riding older trains? Nothing is free. You want something nice, you better be prepared to pay for it,

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And for the umpteenth time, R62as are not even 30 yrs old. How about being more concerned with replacing the R32/42/46s first which are much older? You can't seriously believe that with all the older trains around that replacing still serviceable trains because some people thinks they are 'old' is a smart use of limited funds do you?

If you think it's bad with a current base fare of $2.25, watch that go up by double or more to cover the costs of the expenses. What will you do if they made express buses $10 per ride? Is all that worth it because one segment is that dead set against riding older trains? Nothing is free. You want something nice, you better be prepared to pay for it,

I have no problem paying more for my service. In fact I've always said that. If the express bus went up, I would pay for it just like I am now, but the question is always what sort of quality am I getting for said monies?

As for your other point, I thought I was clear before in saying that they should be replacing as many old trains as possible, but they should not be sending 20 something year old cars to a line like the (6)... The Lexington line is the most used line in the system and therefore they should have newer fleet. A breakdown on a line like that can be huge because of the amount of folks that use it.

As for your other point, I thought I was clear before in saying that they should be replacing as many old trains as possible, but they should not be sending 20 something year old cars to a line like the (6)... The Lexington line is the most used line in the system and therefore they should have newer fleet.

So...? The (7) is an isolated line with the oldest signaling system so what's being done by the (MTA) is being done. The riding public doesn't get to decide which line should have a newer fleet just because its "the most heavily used line" in the system. Please. <_< The (7) and (L) are very special lines, they are isolated so the (MTA) is giving those lines special treatment first. They are to automate the entire subway system but first with the isolated lines. Next stop is the IND Queens Boulevard Line. Nuff said...

So...? The (7) is an isolated line with the oldest signaling system so what's being done by the (MTA) is being done. The riding public doesn't get to decide which line should have a newer fleet just because its "the most heavily used line" in the system. Please. <_< The (7) and (L) are very special lines, they are isolated so the (MTA) is giving those lines special treatment first. They are to automate the entire subway system but first with the isolated lines. Next stop is the IND Queens Boulevard Line. Nuff said...

What do you mean so??? The (4)(5)(6) line is overcapcity as it is and they should be giving as much attention to the Lex line as possible. The (7) has been doing just fine with the R62A's, which BTW was an UPGRADE from the redbirds they had. The (MTA) has made mistakes before, so let's not sit here and act like they're Gods or something just because they've decided to do something that they may regret later on.

The (7) has been doing just fine with the R62A's, which BTW was an UPGRADE from the redbirds they had.

It has nothing to do with the fleet it runs. The signalling system is ancient, which is why it is being replaced by CBTC.

That is not true for Lexington, so they get to have OTTs, while their NTTs are converted and given to Flushing. Yaaaay!!! :):):)

It has nothing to do with the fleet it runs. The signalling system is ancient, which is why it is being replaced by CBTC.

That is not true for Lexington, so they get to have OTTs, while their NTTs are converted and given to Flushing. Yaaaay!!! :):):)

Yeah well even so, IIRC, they did a pretty big overhaul of those R62A's before sending them over to the (7) and now they're probably going to throw more money into them to send them elsewhere?? A perfect example of wasting money and why I say they could've just bought new cars instead.

Yeah well even so, IIRRC, they did a pretty big overhaul of those R62A's before sending them over to the (7) and now they're probably going to throw more money into them to send them elsewhere?? A perfect example of wasting money and why I say they could've just bought new cars instead.

The "big overhaul" is SMS, and IIRC to send them to Lex they'll only need to convert the singles into 5-car sets and activate the full width cabs.

And replacing 28 year old trains is NOT an option, so why would you even bring that up?

Actually if you read between the lines there, there was a hint of sarcasm in my post... My point was that in this day and age the (MTA) should be getting as many new trains with automated announcements and other technological features as possible. We're in 2012 now and soon to be in 2013. The (MTA) is very far behind in terms of upgrading the system in general and they should be looking to upgrade as much as possible when possible. Yes, I realize they're in a fiscal bind right now, but this is an investment for the future. Putting older cars on a line that has newer cars is simply not the answer... Older equipment usually means more break downs, and less reliable service amongst other things. They should be looking to see if they can add to the current orders they have and get a break on pricing. With the economy being in the tank I'm sure the companies building the trains would be willing to work with them to get the extra business.

I'm looking at this from a service perspective and from the perspective of the average customer outside of this forum in terms of quality service, not some foamer who doesn't want to see outdated trains go bye bye.

If you want better service start supporting it. Consider this. The MTA wasn't willing to try new technology during the 1980s when they purchased the R62 fleet as they did not want to go through a repeat of the R44/46s problems at a time where the subway was already at it's low point, so they went back to what worked before instead of trying something new.

As for whether the R62 fleet gets automated announcements is to be seen. You also have to sooner or later realize and yes this has been said to you and on this forum millions of times before and I will say it once more. Transit is not a luxury. You either ride it or you don't.

The "big overhaul" is SMS, and IIRC to send them to Lex they'll only need to convert the singles into 5-car sets and activate the full width cabs.

And replacing 28 year old trains is NOT an option, so why would you even bring that up?

If you want better service start supporting it. Consider this. The MTA wasn't willing to try new technology during the 1980s when they purchased the R62 fleet as they did not want to go through a repeat of the R44/46s problems at a time where the subway was already at it's low point, so they went back to what worked before instead of trying something new.

As for whether the R62 fleet gets automated announcements is to be seen. You also have to sooner or later realize and yes this has been said to you and on this forum millions of times before and I will say it once more. Transit is not a luxury. You either ride it or you don't.

Oh please with the luxury crap. I love how folks try to embellish things. Every time someone says that the system should be more advanced than what it is, people start talking about oh well don't use it. Give me a break. It's about time folks stop brown nosing the (MTA) and tell them the ugly truth. Yes, they've made strives, but they've got a long ways to go and they're behind. Whether folks want to accept that or not is another story but we need to be making investments where possible, whenever possible. Period. If stating the truth about our current transportation system pisses people off well then that's too bad. Outside of this forum, the general public would more than likely agree with me, so I have no problem with being the odd ball in these sorts of conversations.

Quite frankly there are some folks that would probably still like the redbirds to be running, even though they were falling apart and in desperate need of being replaced, so that's the sort of mentality that's out there and it's frightening.

Oh please with the luxury crap. I love how folks try to embellish things. Every time someone says that the system should be more advanced than what it is, people start talking about oh well don't use it. Give me a break. It's about time folks stop brown nosing the (MTA) and tell them the ugly truth. Yes, they've made strives, but they've got a long ways to go and they're behind. Whether folks want to accept that or not is another story but we need to be making investments where possible, whenever possible. Period. If stating the truth about our current transportation system pisses people off well then that's too bad. Outside of this forum, the general public would more than likely agree with me, so I have no problem with being the odd ball in these sorts of conversations.

There are far bigger issues in the subway than the trains. I believe I've said this already.

Oh, look, I have:

The 'demon' OTTs are the least of the subway's issues. There's NFW that the subway will be considered the ultimate transit system while it has deteriorated IND local stations, hellhole Sea Beach stations and the large amounts of lowlifes and weirdos that hang out there.

My God, this thread is really repetitive. It's like talking to a brick wall.

I probably shouldn't have insulted brick walls like that. :unsure:

LOL Most things involving VG8 are repetitive, its been like that forever. Tbh just give up, the guy is gonna go on for days like he always does... What he thinks is most important to him, and others opinions are not taken into his thoughts because they aren't "like him"..

LOL brick walls didn't need to be insulted like that, they aren't elitist :lol:

LOL Most things involving VG8 are repetitive, its been like that forever. Tbh just give up, the guy is gonna go on for days like he always does... What he thinks is most important to him, and others opinions are not taken into his thoughts because they aren't "like him"..

LOL brick walls didn't need to be insulted like that, they aren't elitist :lol:

When some users points don't hold up around here they have to repeat them over and over just because others don't see eye to eye with them. At that point many should just stop taking those users seriously. This thread IMO ran it's course and should be closed, but that's up to the mods to make that decision.

Quite frankly there are some folks that would probably still like the redbirds to be running, even though they were falling apart and in desperate need of being replaced, so that's the sort of mentality that's out there and it's frightening.

That is what you think and not everyone else. For what users say around here it's their opinion on whether they want old trains from the past running. If you don't like it you can feel free to leave whenever you want too or suck it up and deal with it.

What do you mean so??? The (4)(5)(6) line is overcapcity as it is and they should be giving as much attention to the Lex line as possible. The (7) has been doing just fine with the R62A's, which BTW was an UPGRADE from the redbirds they had. The (MTA) has made mistakes before, so let's not sit here and act like they're Gods or something just because they've decided to do something that they may regret later on.

Fine, I'm going to say what I meant.

The Second Avenue Subway will relieve overcrowding on the (4)(5)(6)<6>. I am not sitting on my ass, acting like the (7) and (L) or the (MTA) are Gods for your information...If that's what you meant.....

I may be pissed but whatever they are going to do is what they're going to do. They will convert all but like say 50 of Pelham's R142As into R188s. They will send those 64 R46s to the Staten Island Railway. They will send Corona's R62As back to the IRT East Side. They will replace the aging signals on the Flushing Line. They aren't going to regret nor cancel anything but its well...too late.

Once they do want they do, that's it. I have also pointed out a billion times that the "dark" and "depressing" R62/62As are not lemons. Here's a fact for you, while the announcements are poor, what about the Mean Distance Between Failures and age? Yes, older trains past 40 or 45 years of age means less reliability but the damn trains have about 10-15 more years to go.

Oh and before you tell me off, no, I'm not saying you have to like 'em like me. I'm giving you facts straight up that whatever the (MTA) will do, we just got to take it. I can't do nothing about it, neither can you or Gorgor or anyone else against the (7)'s R62As returning to the Lex. And besides, we will see improve when SAS opens and hey the (Q) will still use NTTs right? Since you or whoever dislike the old generation cars, ride the R160s on the (Q) and the R142/142As on the (5) (or the (4) or the (6) if either of them don't get the R62As). Wouldn't you still be happy for that at least or what...?

I don't care if the trains below 40 or 30 are "dark" and "depressing" with "suckish" A/C, as long as it breaks down less often and doesn't malfunction nor turn into a lemon, I'm good regardless of the announcements and displays showing the stops. Unfortunately, I do see that your disagreeable attitude has continued ever since you posted here. Like I said before, I'm not stuck up on any of your feelings/opinions and personality, I'm just saying that we still have to face incomes of what will happen (believe it or not...). Just like how we have to face reality, just like how we have to face actions and consequences. Nobody has a say of what they should do unless you know if it works based on operations' standpoint or riders' standpoint. I hope you see what I'm trying to say. Clear enough for ya...?

Alright folks, I've humored this stupid crap long enough. The 7 will get the new 188s and modified 142As some time next year and the displaced 62As will wind up on Lexington Avenue. I know Princelex said that the "get over it" mentality isn't exactly helpful here, but this is one of those "get over it" issues. The MTA can't buy brand new a full fleet of new tech trains to prematurely replace the 62As. They simply don't have the money for that. Remember that the original order for the 188s was to include more new cars as opposed to modified ones. And to anyone who says they'd pay a higher fare so the agency could potentially buy those new cars (even though it wouldn't make much difference unless the fare was raised dramatically), I'm going to go right ahead and call bullshit on that right now.

Thread locked. And don't continue this in the 188 thread as posts pertaining to this "issue" may be deleted as I see fit.

Archived