R62As returning to the 6 - why so much backlash?

RPTA

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No.

Us UES riders will get pissed off. We have nice, modern subway cars with audible announcements. We don't want to go back in time and get those old subway cars.

The announcements are perfectly fine on the (3), and those trains are older than me

We want AUDIBLE announcements. There's nothing worse than being on one of those old trains on the (1), not understanding anything the conductor says, and bam we're suddenly on the express tracks and half the train's cursing out the MTA because we all missed our stop. I have nothing against the actual train cars, I just want to be able to understand the conductor. I haven't ridden these lines lately, but a few years back on the (1)(3) there would be many times where either the intercom system was broken in the car, or the conductor just wasn't saying a word.

And all these anti-UES arguments are completely out of line and irrelevant. The thread title is "R62As returning to the 6 - why so much backlsh?" and I'm just answering the question. Just because I'm from the UES and say I dislike something doesn't make me an rich, arrogant elitist. Grow up. If that's the only argument you have against what I've said then that's sad.

And all these anti-UES arguments are completely out of line and irrelevant. The thread title is "R62As returning to the 6 - why so much backlsh?" and I'm just answering the question. Just because I'm from the UES and say I dislike something doesn't make me an rich, arrogant elitist. Grow up. If that's the only argument you have against what I've said then that's sad.

I completely agree with this statement. I don't see what's so special about the Upper East Side. I'll bet that the richest people who live there don't even ride the subway right now. That's just a guess.

I think that if you pulled the NTTs from just about any line, somebody would be upset. Yes, it's true that wealthier people generally have higher expectations, but I'm just saying that the (6) line complainers aren't necessarily any richer than those elsewhere.

Call me a foamer or Mr. MTA if you want but I truly feel that I'm comfortable with the current car assignments we already have.

Broadway-7th Avenue:

R62A (1), R142 (2), and R62 (3)

Lexington Avenue:

R142/142A (4), R142 (5), and R142A (6)<6>

Flushing:

R62A (7)<7>

Eighth Avenue:

R46 (A), R32 (C), and R160 (E)

Sixth Avenue:

R68/68A (B), R68 (D), R160 (F) and (M)

Brooklyn-Queens Crosstown:

R68 (G)

Nassau Street:

R42/160 (J)(Z)

14th Street-Canarsie:

R143 (L)

Broadway:

R160 (N) and (Q), and R46 (R)

I really love railfanning on the Flushing Line. I love seeing the (C) being the home for the R32s mostly year round and railfanning on the (A) express and the Rockaway Line with them in the summer and other times if needed. And I love seeing the Lexington Avenue Line 100% NTTs. I'll miss what I grew up with but understand reality and the aforementioned reasons, facing them along the way. Just showing my hearts for the NYC subway.

Right. It may not be the wealthiest UES residents who complain about losing the R142As. Hell, it may be (6) line riders from Parkchester or Sound View who complain the loudest. But it is going to be Pelham R142As that get coverted to R188s and transferred to Corona. The easiest thing to do is to just send Corona's R62As to Pelham Yard. Or they may do a three-way switch between Pelham, Corona and Jerome Yards. We'll find out in few months.

The average person does not know the difference between an R62/A and an R142/A.

Lol you're joking.

To the average person, it's the nice new subway car with automated announcements compared to the old crappy ones that you can't make out anything. Besides that, they're so visually different. I think you meant to say "the average person does not care about the difference between an R62/A and an R142/A," which I wouldn't necessarily agree with either.

Lol you're joking.

To the average person, it's the nice new subway car with automated announcements compared to the old crappy ones that you can't make out anything. Besides that, they're so visually different. I think you meant to say "the average person does not care about the difference between an R62/A and an R142/A," which I wouldn't necessarily agree with either.

Yep and I think it's a disgrace that they're putting those trains on the (6) line on the heaviest used line in the system (Lexington Av line). Keep those trains on the (7) or get them all new cars! Lexington Av deserves better.

The backlash is because the riders on the (6) are experiencing a DOWNGRADE in their equipment.

The argument that back in the early 2000s era where the (6) were using 62As is just plain stupid. Are we back in the late 1990s to early 2000s? No. Plus, it was refreshing to see rolling stock other than the old generation of SMEEs which is why people appreciated the trains back then because it was an UPGRADE.

I refuse to take sides in this argument because I frankly do not care whether what I ride on is an R142A or an R62A, but I do understand why Pelham/East Side riders would be outraged at this change.

The backlash is because the riders on the (6) are experiencing a DOWNGRADE in their equipment.

The argument that back in the early 2000s era where the (6) were using 62As is just plain stupid. Are we back in the late 1990s to early 2000s? No. Plus, it was refreshing to see rolling stock other than the old generation of SMEEs which is why people appreciated the trains back then because it was an UPGRADE.

I refuse to take sides in this argument because I frankly do not care whether what I ride on is an R142A or an R62A, but I do understand why Pelham/East Side riders would be outraged at this change.

Yep I agree... I don't live on the Upper East Side and I'm most certainly against having those R62As return back to the (6). Hell I'd even sign a petition to keep them off of the (6). Keep them on the (7) where they belong. I'm sure those folks enjoy those cars anyway. The Lexington Av line is the most used line in the system and as such the cars take on an enormous wear and tear not to mention that we should be showcasing the best cars on our heaviest used lines for the tourists and such. It's like running beat up Q32 buses on 5th Avenue. I mean come on!! Before these cars there were those crappy Redbirds, so (6) riders have had enough old cars.

We want AUDIBLE announcements. There's nothing worse than being on one of those old trains on the (1), not understanding anything the conductor says, and bam we're suddenly on the express tracks and half the train's cursing out the MTA because we all missed our stop. I have nothing against the actual train cars, I just want to be able to understand the conductor. I haven't ridden these lines lately, but a few years back on the (1)(3) there would be many times where either the intercom system was broken in the car, or the conductor just wasn't saying a word.

Look - the removal of the R62As from the Flushing is imminent, and whether you like it or not there is a very high chance that they will go on one of the Lexington Avenue lines. No amount of whining or petitions will make the MTA change their minds, so save your breath and time.

Well, I don't see Flushing or 7th Avenue riders complaining that they don't have NTTs, the 2 train being the exception. It's not the end of the world if you get old trains, so stop acting like it is.

One can only imagine what you guys would do if they gave you R32-like cars.

Lol you're joking.

He's not mistaken.

Most of the people I know don't know the difference between old and new. My mom only recognizes the R32s from the rest of the trains by the fact that they squeal and sway so much on points and curves.

Yep and I think it's a disgrace that they're putting those trains on the (6) line on the heaviest used line in the system (Lexington Av line). Keep those trains on the (7) or get them all new cars! Lexington Av deserves better.

1. The (7) needs to be refitted to CBTC, a system which it wouldn't be cost effective to equip the 62As with, if they even can be.

2. If Lex gets new trains, then the 62As will be useless. Why would the MTA junk cars that aren't even 30 years old yet?!

I have news for you. The PA/IC/Radio mics on the 142s fail as well, and they often don't get noticed as fast since they don't get used as often. Riding a 142 doesn't guarantee perfect announcements. How many times have you been on one, hears the PA ding, and then silence?

I have news for you. The PA/IC/Radio mics on the 142s fail as well, and they often don't get noticed as fast since they don't get used as often. Riding a 142 doesn't guarantee perfect announcements. How many times have you been on one, hears the PA ding, and then silence?

I'd say there have been at least 2 times when a (1) randomly switched to the express track without me realizing it; one of those times causing me and a bunch of other riders to miss our stop, and once I was on a (3) train I believe and it just went local (although that's not as bad). I've never had an issue like this on the (4)(5)(6).

Nothing's perfect, but based on my experiences the R142s are much more reliable in terms of announcements than the R62s.

Also, the automatic announcements for stops always work on the R142s (except sometimes for that glitch at 59th/Lex with the transfer to the F train one). The ones on the R62 are hard to understand, and one time there just weren't any announcements at the stops at all.

The anti-UES arguments are completely in line, because you guys are being pompous and sounding entitled!!! In the wake of a disaster where people have lost everything and you guys are complaining about a goddamn subway car? What more do you want??? The R62 announcements are audible... they are no worse that your stupid NTT's, and you just need to get over it already and stick this whining up your ass... because the (MTA) doesn't care, and neither do we.

I'm sorry if any of that sounded rude, but it was necessary.

40, not 30.

The R62A's aren't even 30 years old yet, what are you talking about?

I'd say there have been at least 2 times when a (1) randomly switched to the express track without me realizing it; one of those times causing me and a bunch of other riders to miss our stop, and once I was on a (3) train I believe and it just went local (although that's not as bad). I've never had an issue like this on the (4)(5)(6).

Nothing's perfect, but based on my experiences the R142s are much more reliable in terms of announcements than the R62s.

Also, the automatic announcements for stops always work on the R142s (except sometimes for that glitch at 59th/Lex with the transfer to the F train one). The ones on the R62 are hard to understand, and one time there just weren't any announcements at the stops at all.

Not only that but those R62s are just dark and depressing and I hate the overhead handles too... All greasy and gross feeling, hence why I hate riding the (1) train. The AC on those cars suck too.

Not only that but those R62s are just dark and depressing and I hate the overhead handles too... All greasy and gross feeling, hence why I hate riding the (1) train. The AC on those cars suck too.

If you aren't going to ride a subway car because it is "depressing" and "dark", then you need to lower your expectations so much... <_<

Nothing's perfect, but based on my experiences the R142/142As are much more reliable in terms of announcements than the R62/62As.

All NTTs are always reliable in terms of announcements than the SMEEs. But R62/62As and R68/68As are reliable in terms of high MDBFs right behind the R142/142As, R143s, and R160s. So the (4) and/or (6) won't be that bad if they get R62As from the (7).

Archived