R62As returning to the 6 - why so much backlash?

RPTA

Wow, this sure seems to not be getting anywhere...

@ttcsubwayfan

I don't understand what you mean but as far as I know, they won't retire subway trains after 30 years of service....Either up to or past 40 years.

Maybe you need to reread his post more carefully. He said right now the trains are ~30 yrs old. Meaning they are 10+ yrs short of the ideal 40 yr mark.

The oldest R62As are from 1984, which was 28 years ago.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who the f**k said anyone is supposed to have the best transit system in the world? We have the largest system, which makes it all the harder to keep in in good condition.

We're New York. Everyone comes here because we're supposed to have the greatest of everything including a transit system...

We're New York. Everyone comes here because we're supposed to have the greatest of everything including a transit system...

I would have you know that NO ONE comes here for the subway. Who's the foamer now? <_<<_<<_<

Yeah, YOU have the best of everything, not everyone.

Maybe because we're supposed to have the best transit system in the world being New York.

That is quite possibly the most absurd thing I have ever heard.

As much as I know, Toronto had the best transit system in North America up until 1995. I was told by people much older than me that the TTC was the envy of every North American transit system, and later its place was taken by Montreal.

Just because a city is large and popular doesn't mean it has to have the best system.

I would have you know that NO ONE comes here for the subway. Who's the foamer now? <_<<_<<_<

Yeah, YOU have the best of everything, not everyone.

Um... Yeah and that's why I see hoards of tourists taking photos of the subway.... <_<

That is quite possibly the most absurd thing I have ever heard.

As much as I know, Toronto had the best transit system in North America up until 1995. I was told by people much older than me that the TTC was the envy of every North American transit system, and later its place was taken by Montreal.

Just because a city is large and popular doesn't mean it has to have the best system.

Excuse me but New York City isn't a city, it's the city. We're the financial capital of the world, known for fashion, art, culture, cuisine and our transit system. Now if we could get it up to where it should be we'd be doing things. As for Montréal, I've been there several times... Beautiful city... Their transit system is also very clean, very much like the city... Not surprised that folks would envy them. Outside of the city center, Montréal is spotless.

I completely agree with this statement. I don't see what's so special about the Upper East Side. I'll bet that the richest people who live there don't even ride the subway right now. That's just a guess.

I think that if you pulled the NTTs from just about any line, somebody would be upset. Yes, it's true that wealthier people generally have higher expectations, but I'm just saying that the (6) line complainers aren't necessarily any richer than those elsewhere.

Nothing special at all, it's just about the same with the West side.

There's been mainly the same 2 people here against the move even though it's already been set in stone by the MTA since they wanted CBTC implemented on the (7). Would it be better to wait another decade to set up CBTC? Perhaps. But it's happening and people will just have to deal with it. Plus look on the bright side, the (7) is getting refurbished second hand cars. When the R62As are slated to retire, brand new trains will be built for Lexington av again. And then all this bitching will be for nothing.

Yep and I think it's a disgrace that they're putting those trains on the (6) line on the heaviest used line in the system (Lexington Av line). Keep those trains on the (7) or get them all new cars! Lexington Av deserves better.

Because of CBTC, they need the R142As on the (7), so right now the (4)(6) are the only 2 lines running them. Of course it's a step down, but for god's sakes, it isn't the end of the world. I mean it's not like the (7) was running redbirds and sending those to the (6) in return for the R142As. Or a B division example: It's not like the (Q) is giving up its R160s for the (C)'s R32s.

Um... Yeah and that's why I see hoards of tourists taking photos of the subway.... <_<

Excuse me but New York City isn't a city, it's the city. We're the financial capital of the world, known for fashion, art, culture, cuisine and our transit system. Now if we could get it up to where it should be we'd be doing things. As for Montréal, I've been there several times... Beautiful city... Their transit system is also very clean, very much like the city... Not surprised that folks would envy them. Outside of the city center, Montréal is spotless.

Your arrogance appals me. I'm sure the #1 reason for those tourists coming here wasn't the subway. When you visit new places, you take pictures of EVERYTHING!!!! And there are so many other cities that could be called "the city"...

Just sit the hell down... you're just blowing steam now... <_<

Yep I agree... I don't live on the Upper East Side and I'm most certainly against having those R62As return back to the (6). Hell I'd even sign a petition to keep them off of the (6). Keep them on the (7) where they belong. I'm sure those folks enjoy those cars anyway. The Lexington Av line is the most used line in the system and as such the cars take on an enormous wear and tear not to mention that we should be showcashing the best cars on our heaviest used lines for the tourists and such. It's like running beat up Q32 buses on 5th Avenue. I mean come on!! Before these cars there were those crappy Redbirds, so (6) riders have had enough old cars.

We had the crappy redbirds too (I loved them!), so where is our NTT's?!? I ride the 7 everyday, we enjoy them only because we have to - or else we wouldn't have trains. Think before you type about my 'hood, will you?

Not only that but those R62s are just dark and depressing and I hate the overhead handles too... All greasy and gross feeling, hence why I hate riding the (1) train. The AC on those cars suck too.

Dark and depressing my @ss. They're just as bright as any other train - and if you care so much about lighting, well, then that's something....

And guess what - the NTT's have overhead handles as well, and they're greasy and gross as well - 'cause I know there's bacteria in those handles as in every other train - NTT or SMEE! As for the A/C, well the R142's are better, the R62A's aren't that bad - they can be cool.

NO.

Nobody comes to New York for the subway. Not even me. For me, the subway is just a bonus, and I imagine that is the attitude of most tourists.

Excuse me but New York City isn't a city, it's the city. We're the financial capital of the world, known for fashion, art, culture, cuisine and our transit system. Now if we could get it up to where it should be we'd be doing things.

The 'demon' OTTs are the least of the subway's issues. There's NFW that the subway will be considered the ultimate transit system while it has deteriorated IND local stations, hellhole Sea Beach stations and the large amounts of lowlifes and weirdos that hang out there.

Your arrogance appals me. I'm sure the #1 reason for those tourists coming here wasn't the subway. When you visit new places, you take pictures of EVERYTHING!!!! And there are so many other cities that could be called "the city"...

Just sit the hell down... you're just blowing steam now... <_<

Oh please... Everyone knows that New York is the center of everything, so stop kidding yourself.

We had the crappy redbirds too (I loved them!), so where is our NTT's?!? I ride the 7 everyday, we enjoy them only because we have to - or else we wouldn't have trains. Think before you type about my 'hood, will you?

Dark and depressing my @ss. They're just as bright as any other train - and if you care so much about lighting, well, then that's something....

And guess what - the NTT's have overhead handles as well, and they're greasy and gross as well - 'cause I know there's bacteria in those handles as in every other train - NTT or SMEE! As for the A/C, well the R142's are better, the R62A's aren't that bad - they can be cool.

LOL... Seems like you're contradicting yourself... On the one hand you say that those trains aren't dark and depressing, yet on the other hand you say that you folks only use them because you have to, so if you guys don't want them, what makes you think we want those crappola trains on the (6)??? :lol:

Oh please... Everyone knows that New York is the center of everything, so stop kidding yourself.

I know something that you think it's the center of... <_<

I think the point has been made. At least when the R62A's go to the (6), it'll be one less arrogant prick on the subway. :rolleyes:

LOL... Seems like you're contradicting yourself... On the one hand you say that those trains aren't dark and depressing, yet on the other hand you say that you folks only use them because you have to, so if you guys don't want them, what makes you think we want those crappola trains on the (6)??? :lol:

Well, since we have to ride 'em, we got used to 'em. Nothing like being forced to like 'em, ya know, and growing a little fond of 'em! Guess IRT Pelham/East Side riders will have to do so as well.

o·pin·ion/əˈpinyən/

Noun:

• A view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

AND he liked my post... nice to know VG8. :ph34r:

I don't think your statements were supposed to come off as opinions...

Well, since we have to ride 'em, we got used to 'em. Nothing like being forced to like 'em, ya know, and growing a little fond of 'em! Guess IRT Pelham/East Side riders will have to do so as well.

Too many 'em's... :lol:

Archived