R62As returning to the 6 - why so much backlash?

RPTA

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday when I was on that R62 (4) train there was a passenger complaining, though I could see why. The operator apparently wasn't well trained in operating R62 equipment, they would speed up then halfway to the next stop put on the brake full force, then crawl into the next station. At one point one passenger standing at the door said out loud "this is crazy man," referring to the "old train".

Then again, that was one passenger, and it was because the operator was not good at operating the train (every time the train would slow down people would practically be crashing into one another). Going back there were no complaints since it was a good operator.

I think most people who ride the subway can't even tell the difference between the types of trains, they just want to get from point A to point B. Ive also ridden NTT's that there is no announcement inside the car, the automated passenger announcements were turned off or the crew was in a rush and forgot to reprogram the train).

Who knows, maybe in a few years the R62A's will get those automated announcement things, so it won't be so bad after all.

Yesterday when I was on that R62 (4) train there was a passenger complaining, though I could see why. The operator apparently wasn't well trained in operating R62 equipment, they would speed up then halfway to the next stop put on the brake full force, then crawl into the next station. At one point one passenger standing at the door said out loud "this is crazy man," referring to the "old train".

Then again, that was one passenger, and it was because the operator was not good at operating the train (every time the train would slow down people would practically be crashing into one another). Going back there were no complaints since it was a good operator.

I think most people who ride the subway can't even tell the difference between the types of trains, they just want to get from point A to point B. Ive also ridden NTT's that there is no announcement inside the car, the automated passenger announcements were turned off or the crew was in a rush and forgot to reprogram the train).

Who knows, maybe in a few years the R62A's will get those automated announcement things, so it won't be so bad after all.

That's like saying that the average person can't tell the difference between a yellow cab and a livery cab...

The average person can easily tell the difference between an R62A and an R142. Whether they care which type of train they take is a different story however. The new trains just physically look so much different inside and out, and they definitely notice whether or not the train has automated announcements.

:lol::lol::lol: !!!!!!!

You're social circle must be filled with rtards if they can't tell the difference between the two trains. Almost EVERYONE can tell the difference between old equipment and new equipment unless they're visually impaired. It's whether or not they care that they're riding on a new train is what we're debating.

You're social circle must be filled with rtards if they can't tell the difference between the two trains.

First of all - my friends are not interested in transit.

Almost EVERYONE can tell the difference between old equipment and new equipment unless they're visually impaired.

You have to stop looking at this from a railbuff's perspective. The only differences the average rider may notice are little things like the interior color, announcements and stuff like that. And they're not going to be like "Hey, this is the train with the dark interior and piss poor announcements! I don't want to ride this!"

Sensible riders care about getting from point A to point B first and foremost, and little things about the vehicles they're riding second. The only people that will be whining incessantly about the 'downgrade' are the... individuals who know stuff about transit. Most riders do not.

People need to be grateful for what they have. Many riders on the (C) would love to switch places with people who get newer cars. A R62A on the (6) or any other line should be nothing to anyone. The only thing that should matter is if it can get you from Point A to Poimt B in one piece.

The thing you must recognize is that the (6) currently has the newest and best subway cars. Riders enjoy the automated announcements, the screen that shows what stops are coming up at, and being able to read what the next stop is, where the train's going, and what the time is from anywhere in the train. Switching R62As in would be going back in time and would be an annoyance to many because they lack the many features that we're used to in the R142s.

Using that logic, why don't we just replace all the lines with red birds that have a ton of graffiti on it, no working AC, and urine and feces everywhere? People need to be grateful for what they have. The only thing that should matter is if it can get you from Point A to Point B in one piece.

Then I guess as long as the R62 and R142 cars are well maintained in general and in good working order, it should work out in the long run. People using the Lex will have their transortation needs addressed with the Second Ave line eventually, while people in places like Corona and Flushing in Queens or the Hudson Yards area in Manhattan will have NTT trains for the sake of CBTC either way. It's a hefty compromise that many people across many neighboorhoods may need to make.

Riders enjoy the automated announcements,

Daily (6) riders should be able to remember what stop they need to get off at, and shouldn't need announcements to point them in the right direction. And if there's a service change, then the announcements on the 142As are going to be just as poor as the ones on the 62As.

the screen that shows what stops are coming up at and being able to read what the next stop is

There are maps in the 62As - find the station closest to where your train is and then go from there.

where the train's going

They should remember that they chose, for example, the Bronx-bound platform. They shouldn't need announcements to remind them where they're going.

and what the time is from anywhere in the train.

It's called a 'watch' or a 'phone'. Almost every rider owns at least one.

Switching R62As in would be going back in time

Count me in, then! I wanna go back to the 90s!! :lol::D

Using that logic, why don't we just replace all the lines with red birds that have a ton of graffiti on it, no working AC, and urine and feces everywhere?

Are the R62As clean? Do they have A/C? Are they unvandalized? Are they far younger than the Redbirds?

Yes?

Then why are you comparing them?

The thing you must recognize is that the (6) currently has the newest and best subway cars. Riders enjoy the automated announcements, the screen that shows what stops are coming up at, and being able to read what the next stop is, where the train's going, and what the time is from anywhere in the train. Switching R62As in would be going back in time and would be an annoyance to many because they lack the many features that we're used to in the R142s.

Using that logic, why don't we just replace all the lines with red birds that have a ton of graffiti on it, no working AC, and urine and feces everywhere? People need to be grateful for what they have. The only thing that should matter is if it can get you from Point A to Point B in one piece.

*coughR160cough*

Using your logic the UES is better than the rest of the city and you stuck up people deserve nothing but the best, since we're twisting around our words now. Unfortunately unlike you, I live in the real world and it doesnt work like that. Your income doesn't make you better than me and your neighborhood isn't more important than the rest of the city.

BTw, Im not stupid. I know what a R142A is and I am well aware of the fleet the (6) has, I've been riding it since I was born. And the R62/As arent dinosaur cars either. If you want to continue bitching about how you deserve NTTs then you should move to somewhere like Wakefield. Newest best subway cars guaranteed

Look, folks are going to have to get over it. The MTA has no intention to prematurely retire the 62As, nor do they intend on waiting 15 years for the 62As to reach their nominal retirement age. And even if they did want to replace the 62As with brand new cars, I'm pretty sure the FTA would want to have a word with the MTA since they front part of the cost for every car order.

Using your logic the UES is better than the rest of the city and you stuck up people deserve nothing but the best, since we're twisting around our words now. Unfortunately unlike you, I live in the real world and it doesnt work like that. Your income doesn't make you better than me and your neighborhood isn't more important than the rest of the city.

BTw, Im not stupid. I know what a R142A is and I am well aware of the fleet the (6) has, I've been riding it since I was born. And the R62/As arent dinosaur cars either. If you want to continue bitching about how you deserve NTTs then you should move to somewhere like Wakefield. Newest best subway cars guaranteed

So you're saying that my argument is invalid because I live on the Upper East Side?

Quit being a baby.

You spent nine pages of this thread complaining about how the R62As are old and Im the baby?

I'm actually taking the time to respond to the question of the thread which is "R62As returning to the 6 - why so much backlash?" whereas you're just being like "YOU LIVE ON THE UPPER EAST SIDE, THEREFORE YOU MUST BE SOME SPOILED BRAT, THEREFORE NOTHING YOU SAY MATTERS AT ALL."

What exactly makes the Upper East Side so special that they deserve to have NTTs and nothing older?

It's a train. Get over it.

I don't understand.

(6):

Bronx: 18 stops

Harlem: 5 stops

Upper East Side: 3 stops

Midtown: 7 stops

Lower East Side: 5 stops

I'm actually taking the time to respond to the question of the thread which is "R62As returning to the 6 - why so much backlash?" whereas you're just being like "YOU LIVE ON THE UPPER EAST SIDE, THEREFORE YOU MUST BE SOME SPOILED BRAT, THEREFORE NOTHING YOU SAY MATTERS AT ALL."

That's not what he said.

I don't understand.

(6):

And guess what? Only the people in bold are complaining, so the MTA won't give a crap about your whining.

You guys need to keep in mind that ANY community wouldn't like getting downgraded. You guys act like because he lives in UES he's an elitist or something. Also, since when is he a railfan? Last time I saw, he doesn't go around "foaming" and generally stays out of the What If? thread. We need to face here that he is​ an average rider who can tell the difference between an R62 and a R142.

One more thing, I feel as if you guys are only saying the R62's to the (6) because it's what those "rich UES'ers deserve".

Look, folks are going to have to get over it. The MTA has no intention to prematurely retire the 62As, nor do they intend on waiting 15 years for

the 62As to reach their nominal retirement age. And even if they did want to replace the 62As with brand new cars, I'm pretty sure the FTA would want to have a word with the MTA since they front part of the cost for every car order.

Pretty much what I am saying albeit for slightly different reasons. Really there's more important issues that needs to be considered here which I already tried to explain in vain.

You guys need to keep in mind that ANY community wouldn't like getting downgraded. You guys act like because he lives in UES he's an elitist or something. Also, since when is he a railfan? Last time I saw, he doesn't go around "foaming" and generally stays out of the What If? thread. We need to face here that he is​ an average rider who can tell the difference between an R62 and a R142.

One more thing, I feel as if you guys are only saying the R62's to the (6) because it's what those "rich UES'ers deserve".

Thank you.

The reason why I registered on this forum is that I'm interested in transit as a whole, more so from a management and operations perspective. I don't enjoy taking the subway, but it's the only way for me to commute without spending $20 on parking my car in a garage downtown. If I really was one of those rich Upper East Siders I would be taking a car service everywhere.

And regardless, my lifestyle should have no effect on my opinion here. I would be against replacing any line with older subway cars that currently has new technology trains, but it just so happens that it's affecting the line near where I live.

As far as I know, when the R32's swapped to the (A), people didn't complain... so why should they...

And when did ANYONE say that? Don't try to make them sound better than they are being...

Stop twisting our words to better your argument. It makes you look bad.

I don't understand.

(6):

LOL the UES should have NO real say so on what runs on the 6.... when out of the 21 stops in Manhattan it only 3 stops pertain to the UES ( 77th,86th,96th).... The Bronx should have REAL say so on what runs on the 6... but at the end of the day if its stated that the R62a's are returning to the 6 for the R142a's then its gonna happen and everybody who rides the Lex and Flushing lines will have to DEAL with it case closed

Archived