'Sniff' What is that smell Han? Luke I think that's the smell of a sellout

DanTheTransitMan

Disney to make new 'Star Wars' films after buying Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion

Oct. 30, 2012, 5:48 PM EST

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A decade after George Lucas said "Star Wars" was finished on the big screen, a new trilogy is destined for theaters, since The Walt Disney Co. announced Tuesday that it was buying Lucasfilm Ltd. for $4.05 billion.

The seventh movie, with a working title of "Episode 7," is set for release in 2015. Episodes 8 and 9 will follow. The new trilogy will carry the story of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Princess Leia beyond "Return of the Jedi," the third film released and the sixth in the saga. After that, Disney plans a new "Star Wars" movie every two or three years. Lucas will serve as the creative consultant for the new movies.

"For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see 'Star Wars' passed from one generation to the next," said Lucas, chairman and CEO of Lucasfilm Ltd. "It's now time for me to pass 'Star Wars' on to a new generation of filmmakers. I've always believed that 'Star Wars' could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime."

Disney CEO Bob Iger said Lucusfilm had already developed an extensive story line on the next trilogy and that "Episode 7" was now in early-stage development.

The Walt Disney Co. announced the blockbuster agreement to buy Lucasfilm in cash and stock Tuesday. The deal includes Lucasfilm's prized high-tech production companies, Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound, as well as rights to the "Indiana Jones" franchise.

Lucas was hailed as a cinematic visionary when the original "Star Wars" came out in 1977. But he had become an object of often-vicious ridicule by the time he released 3-D versions of all six films in the "Star Wars" franchise earlier this year.

Read More:

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=771595

Thoughts? Personally I think these movies are going to suck big time, but I gotta wait until this comes out in theathers to make a judgement.

I am surprised by this move: Pixar, Marvel, and this? Who's left? Well I guess now they can use more of those brands for their theme parks... As long as they don't interfere much then it can't be that bad. Avengers was fantastic (though I dunno how much input Disney had over it). Lucas, as good as some of the star wars movies were, had his faults: creating the ewoks, jar jar, killing darth maul, killing jango and boba fett...

As long as Disney keeps up its hands off approach to their subsidiaries, like they do with Pixar films, LucasFilms should be just fine.

I'd beg to differ, however, I may be slightly biased towards other studios/forms of media.

I guess I'm more optimistic here: Let's face it, Lucas isn't getting any younger and he wants his franchise in safe hands. Besides, they should've made episodes 7-9 instead of 1-3. I'm looking forward to seeing the next trilogy. I mean how much more can he keep milking the Clone Wars cartoon? Lucas wasn't any better with his own input as I posted before: "why kill your best villains the way they were killed?"

Archived