MTA Working To Restore Transit Service In Wake Of Historic Storm

Harry

Gov. Cuomo Declares Transportation Emergency

BY KEN LOVETT

"Gov. Cuomo tonight declared a transportation emergency in the wake of Hurricane Sandy..

As a way to encourage people to take mass transit, Cuomo ordered that the fares for all subways, commuter rail roads and buses be waived tomorrow and Friday.

"The service in many cases is limited, the service in many cases will be crowded," Cuomo said at a light night press briefing at his New York City office.

Traffic today in Manhattan, he said "was very high and the gridlock was dangerous."

One reason, he said, is people needed to get back to work so they brought their cars into Manhattan, which created "an intolerable and dangerous situation."

Carpool restrictions are being placed on the city and state bridges coming into Manhattan.

The Midtown, Brooklyn-Battery, and Holland tunnels remain closed due to flooding.

Cuomo did say all roads in the metro area have been cleared of debris caused by the storm.

Starting tomorrow morning, the Army Corps of Engineers is bringing in 250 high-speed pumping devices to help clear out the water from the tunnels.

Meanwhile, there will be hourly service on the Long Island Rail Road from Pronoun into Penn Station as well as hourly services into Penn from Port Washington.

MTA Chairman Joe Lohta said the Metro North lines from Mount Kisco to Grand Central Station will be on a regular schedule tomorrow as will the New Haven line. The two lines service about half of Metro North's daily riders, he said.

In Brooklyn, Lohta said, three of the seven tubes have been cleared of water, but are still at the inspection and cleanup stage, so no trains will be running.

There will be three locations with limited subway service. One will be at the Barclay Center, where buses will be available to get to midtown Manhattan. Another will be at Metro Tech at he Jay Street Terminal and one in Williamsburg.

As announced earlier, there will be 33 buses shuttling people back and forth to Brooklyn.

There will be limited subway service from Queens, Bronx and northern Manhattan that twill terminate at either 42nd Street or 34th Street, Lohta said. The lines can't go further because of a lack of power in lower Manhattan."

Source:

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/node/133915

Earlier New York Daily News article on the return of the subways.

Read down to the comments there. It includes one who says he's an employer who will fire employees who failed to show up for work Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday because of Sandy. To me, as I said in my earlier comments, even with THIS STORM being as bad as it was, it's only a matter of time before someone is fired because of failing to show up for work through no fault of their own and suing the (MTA) and the Governor and State for shutting down the transit system. It would not shock me if it's a company (if this is true) that has to deal with clients in foreign countries who never have to deal with hurricanes (I actually dealt with some people who are from Spain and never dealt with a hurricane before in my job) and in some cases, are used to being so cutthroat they feel people have to risk their lives to be at work at all time, which is sadly how some people think.

Absolutely ludicrous situation if that is true given what we now know (I wrote everything I did on this prior to Sandy hitting).

Not this crap again. You won't be happy until the South Ferry loop opens for customer service, there's an interlocking installed between every 2 stations in the city, and somebody tries to sue the MTA for getting fired.

All I wrote about someone suing was BEFORE Sandy hit, and as I noted that is simply my observations. I have dealt with people over time from other countries who expect unrealistic things of people they think they are superior to, and that is a problem that will never change no matter how hard you try with some. These comments (in the NY Daily News article) were clearly post-Sandy and reflect the unrealistic views that sadly some have.

As for interlocking, as said in the other thread on that, I would increase interlocking in order to provide greater flexibility in the event of emergencies as more of them are bound to happen over time, even if not on the scale of Sandy.

Which would also increase those "do to signal/switch problems...." service changes. The interlocking south of Rector St was removed because a new one was installed north of South Ferry, and that was one less interlocking to worry about maintaining. I'm sure when that plan was made, nobody was expecting both South Ferries to flood.

This was already discussed in the first thread on this.

Shut up already. Like I said, Harry runs this site. he can post whatever he wants, whenever he wants to. don't like it, T.S.

Anyway, the MTA site says 1 and 2 service has been extened one stop to Penn station.

And, oddly, Railroad.net has crashed.

SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Too many connections [1040]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.

with Subchat AWOL since monday (Larry should really reconsider his server setup), this is the last functioning of the three transit message boards I use.

Archived