Post Sandy (Storm)MNRR/LIRR News

nostalgia

Metro-North Resumes Hourly Service on the Lower Harlem at 2 PM

As of 2 PM, Metro-North will be able to restore limited service on its Harlem Line between North White Plains and Grand Central Terminal. The service will operate every hour. See the special schedule. Today, off-peak fares will be in effect.

All Metro-North customers should hold onto their October monthly and weekly tickets; they will be valid for travel through Monday, November 5.

Grand Central Terminal will reopen to the public by 2 PM as well.

Before service can be restored to other areas of the railroad, there are a number of challenges that must be addressed.

The right-of-way on the Upper Harlem Line between North White Plains and Wassaic, has been cleared of trees. Two critical substations near Bedford Hills and Katonah were flooded and are not operating. We are working with the power supplier, New York State Electric and Gas Company, to get these critical substations on line as soon as possible.

Damage on the New Haven Line between Stamford and New Haven remains significant. There is significant damage on 2 of the four tracks because of the track of the storm. Numerous trees have to be removed and catenary and signal wire has to be rehung all along the route. All the moveable bridges had been submerged during the storm; they must be fully inspected and repairs made. Additionally, there is significant track damage in the area of Fairfield. Service also remains suspended on all 3 Branch Lines, as crews still have a tremendous amount of work to do removing trees and restoring power in those areas as well.

I heard the Port Washington line cannot be used yet because of flooding at Mets-Willets Point.

New schedules

Ronkonkoma Schedule http://alert.mta.info/sites/default/files/pdf/RonkonkomaBrooklynTT_Nov1.pdf

Port Washington Line: http://alert.mta.info/sites/default/files/pdf/PortWashingtonTT_Nov1.pdf (Only as far as Great Neck and Penn)

Here website. I think off peak fares are in effect all day.

http://www.mta.info/

Governor Cuomo Announces Free Transit For Thursday and Friday Because of Transportation Emergency

Governor Andrew Cuomo announced that the MTA's subway, bus and commuter rail services will be free for Thursday and Friday, to encourage the use of mass transit as the region slowly recovers from the devastating effects of Hurricane Sandy.

The free service will take effect Thursday at 12:01 a.m. until 11:59 p.m. on Friday, and will allow for free rides on the NYC Subway and Bus network, Long Island Rail Road, and Metro-North Railroad. Free travel will also be available on Access-a-Ride.

“The gridlock we experienced today shows that the New York metropolitan region is in a transportation emergency,” Governor Cuomo said. “To get people out of their cars and onto mass transit, I immediately authorized the MTA to suspend transit fares through the end of the work week

My question. I don't understand why can't the MTA have shuttle buses replace Upper Hudson Line service say between at least Beacon and the city? And also have Coach USA/Shortline cross honor MNRR passes as well. Maybe Truckie or someone else can explain?

This exact reason I don't know but I can speculate that to run buses the 60 or so miles back and forth from Beacon to GCT would be a huge undertaking. Any time they have run bustitution is either when a branch is down or there's a circumstance that trains can't get between stops. Availability of buses would be an issue not even being able to think how many buses would be needed.

As far as Coach USA/Shortline cross honoring, Coach USA/Shortline would have to agree to it. Being they have their own passengers to worry about and now your going to add a few thousand of ours over the course of the day? I don't think Coach USA/Shortline would have the resources if they even agree to it.

My question. I don't understand why can't the MTA have shuttle buses replace Upper Hudson Line service say between at least Beacon and the city? And also have Coach USA/Shortline cross honor MNRR passes as well. Maybe Truckie or someone else can explain?

Probably a lack of available buses and drivers.

That great for Upper Harlem riders. What about the Upper Hudson stations between Croton and Poughkeepsie? This is my idea for service until Hudson Train service is restored. While sadly service at Local stations would be not provided, at least the major Hudson line stations would have service.

1)Lower Hudson/Bronx service. Run the BXM3 24/7 between Yonkers/Getty Sq. and Midtown.

2)Extend PABT-BOUND CUSA/rockland coaches to Tarrytown station.

3)Bus service between Peekskill/Croton-Harmon and NYC.

4)Coach USA/Shortline between Beacon/Newburgh and PABT.

5)NY trailways "cross honors" Poughkeepsie monthly/weekly pass riders at New Platz.

Reactions? Especially from Truckie. Not meant to be fanasty but an alternative till trains return.

I did end up riding MNR from Fordham to GCT today (no charge of course.) On the way down, it didnt look like anything was wrong with the world and actually had several open seats. After getting downtown on buses and coming back up to GCT for the return, I "illegally" took a much more crowded New Haven Stamford line train with only 4 or 5 cars back to Fordham. Since that train was leaving GCT first, I thought to myself "what were they going to do anyway, charge me the fare to Mt. Vernon?"

That great for Upper Harlem riders. What about the Upper Hudson stations between Croton and Poughkeepsie? This is my idea for service until Hudson Train service is restored. While sadly service at Local stations would be not provided, at least the major Hudson line stations would have service.

1)Lower Hudson/Bronx service. Run the BXM3 24/7 between Yonkers/Getty Sq. and Midtown.

2)Extend PABT-BOUND CUSA/rockland coaches to Tarrytown station.

3)Bus service between Peekskill/Croton-Harmon and NYC.

4)Coach USA/Shortline between Beacon/Newburgh and PABT.

5)NY trailways "cross honors" Poughkeepsie monthly/weekly pass riders at New Platz.

Reactions? Especially from Truckie. Not meant to be fanasty but an alternative till trains return.

I understand it's not a fantasy, your just trying to throw some solutions out there but the bottom line is still:

1) Trailways having the resources to accommodate the few thousand (?) people that would all the sudden show up on their buses over the course of the day. Expecting any outside company to provide that many buses is extreme.

2)Trailways has no obligation to honor our passes.

Now 2 weeks after the storm, most MNRR/LIRR service restored with the exception. Updates as of 11/10/12.

Limited Pt Jervis service including 'free shuttle' buses between Middletown/Town of Walkill station & Beacon and also between Tarrytown and Harriman station. However Pascack Valley station is still knocked out.

http://www.mta.info/...Nov 10 2012.pdf

And on LIRR, Long Beach branch service remains suspended. Meanwhile weekdays LIRR is opearting on basically an "expanded Saturday Schedule" due to the East River still recovering from flooding.

http://www.mta.info/...edules11-12.htm

The 7:36 AM from West Hempstead, due Penn Station at 8:29 AM, is being diverted to Hunterspoint Avenue. Customers for Penn Station must transfer at Jamaica.

Man, a West Hempstead to Hunters Pt train......never thought I'd see THAT happen!

There was a November 5 recovery schedule which has been replaced by a Nov 12 timetable.

Archived