Post Sandy (Storm)MNRR/LIRR News

nostalgia

Does anybody have any information on how badly Lead Drawbridge (Long Beach branch LIRR) was damaged?

I'm hearing all signals and switches has to be built up from scratch. They are using a scoot for the time being. I would to see a shot of the diesels heading into Long Beach.

The 7:36 AM from West Hempstead, due Penn Station at 8:29 AM, is being diverted to Hunterspoint Avenue. Customers for Penn Station must transfer at Jamaica.

Man, a West Hempstead to Hunters Pt train......never thought I'd see THAT happen!

I think they've done that before. Not sure how long ago, but probably the last time was when an Amtrak train derailed in one of the East River Tunnels.

What was interesting with the recovery schedules last week were the Hicksville<->Hunterspoint and Hunterspoint->Freeport local runs. Never thought I'd see those either.

Aren't the C3s restricted from Long Beach due to clearance issues?

They ran a test diesel train to Long Beach last night to see if it would fit in LB station and it did...

On the news they showed footage of those LIRR diesels in the Long Beach station and running in service along the line..

So all of a sudden there ISN'T a clearance issue? Or did they remove the canopies?

Not sure but I think they got torn down somewhat since a lot of stations on the branch have been damaged.

The only branch that has clearance issues like that is Port Washington, since the one crossover at Great Neck like inches from the top of the M7s.

There is also a clearance issue at the Long Beach branch.

As we recover from Sandy, I know it's good to have some train service as opposed to none at all (and for that I am grateful) however, I think the LIRR's service planning department may need to revaluate the trains they've canceled/combined as well as the stopping patterns they've assigned to others. For example...how could one think it was possibly even SAFE, to combine the already overcrowded 5:22 Express to Ronkonkoma, with the already at capacity 5:41, I've observed this train a few nights last week..and its literally crush loaded. Same with the 5:46 and 6:08 trains to Hungtington, you've combined 2 runs that are normally crowded themselves. Every train from Penn that passed through Jamaica was severely packed, but some of the Mainline and Huntington trains looked dangerously beyond capacity. Perhaps with combined trains, need to come revised stopping patterns,I'm sure at this point people will take transferring at Jamaica as opposed to being forced to uncomfortably stand all the way to Suffolk county. Something should be done to make sure all trains have safe, even loads...(i.e remove Hicksville from the 5:41 express to Ronkonkoma, have only Oyster Bay trains stop at New Hyde Park/Merillon Av etc..whatever it takes to evenly distribute the demand amongst equipment east of Jamaica) I certainly hope whats in place now this isn't the new "norm".

It can also fit on all Port Washington tracks except track 5 per special instructions.

That I have to question, that bridge at Great Neck is just enough to fit an M7 and I've heard diesels are restricted on the Manhasset viaduct. The only time I have ever seen diesel equipment on the port washington line was the 1999 fan trip for the retirement of the p72s and older diesel stuff.

What the hell is preventing Amtrak from getting into the other tubes, rats? They should have been able to drain at least one of the other tubes out, because these holiday trains get dangerously crowded.

I was unable to find a press release that specifically dealt with the ER tubes. There was a power substation problem in Jersey that limited trains in the Hudson tubes. Since Amtrak has a lot of through trains, there might have been more congestion than usual at Penn

That I have to question, that bridge at Great Neck is just enough to fit an M7 and I've heard diesels are restricted on the Manhasset viaduct. The only time I have ever seen diesel equipment on the port washington line was the 1999 fan trip for the retirement of the p72s and older diesel stuff.

Apperantly it's not restricted: http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=70221

Apperantly it's not restricted: http://www.railroad....hp?f=63&t=70221

I have a LIRR ETT May 2009, GO 101 with the following restrictions:

Long Beach: All station platform tracks: E-15, DE30,E-20, DM30, C3 equipment coaches

Port Washington: Station Platform tracks 4 and 5 only: E-15, DE30,E-20, DM30

Since this seems like the most appropriate place to post this, its been announced by the Governors office that electric service on the Long Beach line will be restored Sunday.

Source

Governor Cuomo also announced that the Long Island Rail Road is restoring electric service on the Long Beach branch for Sunday.

The Long Beach branch will operate a regular weekend schedule Sunday, with four extra holiday trains running in each direction.

On Monday, four a.m. peak trains and four p.m. peak trains will be canceled due to reduced capacity out of two of Amtrak's East River tunnels following Sandy.

But to quote Mr. Spock: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." My friends in East Rockaway were tired of the bus and infrequent service.

How often did the weekend bus run anyway? The MTA site made no mention of headways.

curious why? any further insights?

Archived