Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Mr Railfan

Hurricane Sandy - Brighton Beach - The Aftermath

No words can epitomize the destruction Hurricane Sandy brought.

Here are 30 pictures starting from the incredible storm surge to the aftermath in the Brighton Beach, Sheepshead bay areas. This is stuff you won't see in the news. Since there is an image limit i cherry picked some images , here's the full album of about 50 images: http://imgur.com/a/9C1Se

So the night of the storm i decided to go out and see the storm surge for myself. Here's the entrance to the Boardwalk. At this position i'm at the top of the stairs which lead down 6 to 7 feet down to the boardwalk entrance.

25.jpg

As i waited, a huge wave crashed down and cowered me to the hip in water. Literally, i was scared shitless because the water was up to my hip and there was no lights as Con Edison cut the electricity to the area about an hour before hand. I took this as a cue to get the hell out of there.

SMcid.jpg

As i started going back to my home, the surge water started coming in from the other way from sheepshead bay, which is over a 10 minute walk from this area! This is literally the highest the water has ever been in this area.

26.jpg

A few minutes later the surge from Sheepshead bay met with the Atlantic ocean, right infront of my house, thus flooding and short circuiting our family car. Luckily the waters did not go any higher.

27.jpg

In the morning i ventured out to see the damage. This is the same set of stairs as seen in the first picture. As you can see it's filled with sand.

28.jpg

The boardwalk is suppoed to go down about 6-7 feet but is completely covered in sand. 29.jpg

Destruction on the beach.

30.jpg

Jacuzzi washed up

KuAGv.jpg

Brighton beach.

rLlEo.jpg

Looking from the boardwalk to a local residency.

32.jpg

Bathrooms flooded and covered in sand

33.jpg

Oceana residency flooded.

34.jpg

One last look at the boardwalk

35.jpg

Cars ruined. there is a car park behind those doors, just filled with cars and completely underwater.

oC7Zi.jpg

walking towards Brighton beach avenue with the el overhead. This area was completely underwater overnight.

36.jpg

Another shot looking towards the Brighton el. This area was underwater .

37.jpg

A car moved out towards the bay by flood waters.

40.jpg

A car seat ripped out from a car and laying next to the bay .

41.jpg

Stranded yachts. Overnight they jumped over the canal bridge which was submerged under water.

42.jpg

Owner of a yacht surveying the damage near the ruined canal bridge.

44.jpg

A ruined canal bridge

45.jpg

A car plowed into this deli with surge waters

47.jpg

A street lays in ruins.

48.jpg

54.jpg

Sheepshead Bay station lobby. It was flooded to the top of the turnstyles.

nbngV.jpg

The seaport Buffet destroyed.

YTPZY.jpg

The wrath of this storm is catastrophic

22.jpg

21.jpg

20.jpg

Exclusive photo's of the belt parkway.

10.jpg

Edited by Mr Railfan
  • Upvote 8

These pictures showed me how lucky I was in this storm as I live very close to where the major flooding occurred in Sheepshead Bay. The pictures of the Sheepshead Bay Station and the sorrounding area after the storm cannot be described to anyone except in pictures such as yours. I can just think what happened to the Waldbaums store on the other side of the Belt Parkway on Ocean Avenue where I shop every so often.

Thank you for your work.