The RTS Fleet

Harry

Okay the three companies that made the RTS are novaBus, TMC, and GMC. The GMC ones have all retired. Half of the fleet of TMC reitred. The fleet is numbered 8000-8396. 8400 is part of the New York Police. The TMC runs on both the (MTA) bus and (MTA) NYC Transit. They are mainly widespread around the depots. The second TMC are 8401-8703 i believe and they do no incorporate the black window on the back. The buses are not retired and only in Brooklyn do they are scattered. The third kind is by NovaBus. they are numbered 8704-9249, 9250-9349 (Suburban, some buses with coach seats taken down, and some converted to platform seats found in queens) and 4900-52xx, 9350, 9699. They are all over the city. There are also old TMC buses that are on the (MTA) bus that were not bought by them. they are form the following companies: Queens Surface, Triboro, Jamaica Buses, Command Buses, and Green Line buses.

\

Command's TMC RTS buses are gone. Both Command and Triboro had CNG powered TMC RTS buses. (NYCT) tested 3 (8397-8399) and then sold them to Command. There was also an RTS Hybrid tested by (NYCT). (MTA) Bus had sent the Triboro CNG RTSes to Spring Creek before they were retired so they could take the CNG lines out at LGA. From what Ive heard, they leaned on turns worse then Flxibles did.

Okay the three companies that made the RTS are novaBus, TMC, and GMC. The GMC ones have all retired. Half of the fleet of TMC reitred. The fleet is numbered 8000-8396. 8400 is part of the New York Police. The TMC runs on both the (MTA) bus and (MTA) NYC Transit. They are mainly widespread around the depots. The second TMC are 8401-8703 i believe and they do no incorporate the black window on the back. The buses are not retired and only in Brooklyn do they are scattered. The third kind is by NovaBus. they are numbered 8704-9249, 9250-9349 (Suburban, some buses with coach seats taken down, and some converted to platform seats found in queens) and 4900-52xx, 9350-9699. They are all over the city. There are also old TMC buses that are on the (MTA) bus that were not bought by them. they are form the following companies: Queens Surface, Triboro, Jamaica Buses, Command Buses, and Green Line buses.

\

Don't forget about MTS, the current RTS design holder. They've only delivered like 5 buses, but they are still alive for the time being. MCI also produced the bus for a few months during the transition from GMC to TMC. 8397-8399 were CNG's that were sold to Command. The bulk of the 8401-8703 series is is Brooklyn, but there are some in Manhattan and 6 are in Queens at Baisley Park Depot. 5249 was the last in the series. When you say black back window, are you talking about the pork chop windows on the TMC re-powers and old GM's? (8000-8399 and everything prior)

Command's TMC RTS buses are gone. Both Command and Triboro had CNG powered TMC RTS buses. (NYCT) tested 3 (8397-8399) and then sold them to Command. There was also an RTS Hybrid tested by (NYCT). (MTA) Bus had sent the Triboro CNG RTSes to Spring Creek before they were retired so they could take the CNG lines out at LGA. From what Ive heard, they leaned on turns worse then Flxibles did.

They actually tested 2 hybrids. 9900, and 6360.

Don't forget about MTS, the current RTS design holder. They've only delivered like 5 buses, but they are still alive for the time being. MCI also produced the bus for a few months during the transition from GMC to TMC. 8397-8399 were CNG's that were sold to Command. The bulk of the 8401-8703 series is is Brooklyn, but there are some in Manhattan and 6 are in Queens at Baisley Park Depot. 5249 was the last in the series. When you say black back window, are you talking about the pork chop windows on the TMC re-powers and old GM's? (8000-8399 and everything prior)

ugly prok chops

Into my GIF collection I go.

LBPTCrts01right.gif- RTS-01 (1977-1978) / RTS-02 (1978-1979)

GBLrts01right.gif- RTS-03 mistakenly labeled as an RTS-01 (1978-1980)

JBLrts04right.gif- RTS-04 and GM RTS-06 (1981-1987)

NJTAexNYCTrts06aright.gif- TMC RTS-06 (1987-1995).

NYCTrts06bright.gif- Nova RTS-06 (1995-2003)

TMC RTS-07 Experimental T-Drive. 2 Demos for Detroit. Never put into full production. (1992)

TMC RTS-08 WFD Essentially an RTS-06 with a wide front door and wheel chair lift. Renamed RTS-06WFD upon Nova take-over. (1989-2003)

NJTrts06legendright.gif- MTS RTS-09 "Legend" Re-born RTS-07 (2006-present)

Don't forget about MTS, the current RTS design holder.
Ah yes. If only NJT didn't screw up with them, and did it right. The demos NJT had were great.

DSC00244.jpg

At least they're doing good service at Foxwoods.....

NJTrts06legendright.gif- MTS RTS "Legend" (200?-200?)

2006 to now.

THanks for the input guys. What depot(s) are the majority of the RTS fleet kept?

MTA Bus:

Baisley Park, Far Rockaway, JFK, LaGuardia, Spring Creek (All in Queens except Spring Creek which is in Brooklyn)

NYCT:

126th Street (Manhattan), East New York (Brooklyn), Flatbush (Brooklyn), Fresh Pond (Brooklyn), Grand Avenue (Brooklyn), Jamaica (Queens), Manhattanville (Manhattan), Michael J. Quill (Manhattan), Queens Village (Queens), Ulmer Park (Brooklyn), West Farms (Bronx), Yukon (Staten Island)

MTA Bus:

Baisley Park, Far Rockaway, JFK, LaGuardia, Spring Creek (All in Queens except Spring Creek which is in Brooklyn)

NYCT:

126th Street (Manhattan), East New York (Brooklyn), Flatbush (Brooklyn), Fresh Pond (Brooklyn), Grand Avenue (Brooklyn), Jamaica (Queens), Manhattanville (Manhattan), Michael J. Quill (Manhattan), Queens Village (Queens), Ulmer Park (Brooklyn), West Farms (Bronx), Yukon (Staten Island)

cool. but he said majority

Okay the three companies that made the RTS are novaBus, TMC, and GMC. The GMC ones have all retired. Half of the fleet of TMC reitred. The fleet is numbered 8000-8396. 8400 is part of the New York Police. The TMC runs on both the (MTA) bus and (MTA) NYC Transit. They are mainly widespread around the depots. The second TMC are 8401-8703 i believe and they do no incorporate the black window on the back. The buses are not retired and only in Brooklyn do they are scattered. The third kind is by NovaBus. they are numbered 8704-9249, 9250-9349 (Suburban, some buses with coach seats taken down, and some converted to platform seats found in queens) and 4900-52xx, 9350, 9699. They are all over the city. There are also old TMC buses that are on the (MTA) bus that were not bought by them. they are form the following companies: Queens Surface, Triboro, Jamaica Buses, Command Buses, and Green Line buses.

\

Actually 8500 and 8510 is at Baisley Park...Also I see the RTS just as much as Hybrids on the Q111/113, I hate when I get them RTSs since the rear seats always burn your butt off...

I remember bee line had those buses,they look so wired with the back design

That's cause the A/C came after they bought those buses. Plus they were 96 inches wide (IINM)......That back door was the best on those old Bee-line RTSs......

Into my GIF collection I go.

LBPTCrts01right.gif- RTS-01 (1977-1978) / RTS-02 (1978-1979)

GBLrts01right.gif- RTS-03 mistakenly labeled as an RTS-01 (1978-1980)

JBLrts04right.gif- RTS-04 and GM RTS-06 (1981-1987)

NJTAexNYCTrts06aright.gif- TMC RTS-06 (1987-1995).

NYCTrts06bright.gif- Nova RTS-06 (1995-2003)

TMC RTS-07 Experimental T-Drive. 2 Demos for Detroit. Never put into full production. (1992)

TMC RTS-08 WFD Essentially an RTS-06 with a wide front door and wheel chair lift. Renamed RTS-06WFD upon Nova take-over. (1989-2003)

NJTrts06legendright.gif- MTS RTS-09 "Legend" Re-born RTS-07 (2006-present)

I updated your visual aid. Thanks for posting!

According to some sources, Boston had ordered (or is ordering) a set of Low Floor RTS buses

http://gmtblog.blogspot.com/2005/10/new-rts-order-from-boston.html

The RTS is still alive folks, just in a slightly different shape.

Thats the RTS-09 Extreme Low Floor they ordered, but the order fell through and was awarded to the lower bidder. New Flyer. To date, no one else has ordered the Low Floor.

Archived