Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
nyctransit

Port Washington line , which car doors open?

I am planning to start using the LIRR for commute as we have family plans to move close to Murray Hill. So I could use the Flushing main-street station or the Murray Hill station on the Port Washington line.

Do all the doors open at both these stations(Penn station to Port washington bound trains)? Whenever I have used the LIRR, I hear announcements about which car doors would open but I wasn't attentive to those announcements as they did not concern me on that route.

P.S.: My question may sound silly but I return home from work at 1 AM. So I definitely do not want to take any chances :)

At Murray Hill, it matters what car you're in. Whether you're going eastbound or westbound, you have to be in the first four cars or the last four cars. I forget which direction is which. It would be easier to use Flushing because that station serves all cars.

Thanks Brett. I have experienced LIRR a couple of times but I'm little paranoid about using the system. Just used to the subway and my car :) . Nut I guess I will get used to LIRR too.

So Flushing-main street (both directions)always has all car doors open? I will have to take the 11:48 PM train from Penn.

Thanks Brett. I have experienced LIRR a couple of times but I'm little paranoid about using the system. Just used to the subway and my car :) . Nut I guess I will get used to LIRR too.

So Flushing-main street (both directions)always has all car doors open? I will have to take the 11:48 PM train from Penn.

Flushing is a 10 car platform so more often then not yes, all cars will platform (unless it's a 12 car train). And there are always announcements about which cars open where so if in doubt, listen or ask the conductor when he comes for your ticket.

Going westbound, first 4 open cars. Going eastbound, rear 4 open cars.

Flushing is a 10 car platform so more often then not yes, all cars will platform (unless it's a 12 car train). And there are always announcements about which cars open where so if in doubt, listen or ask the conductor when he comes for your ticket.

It is extremely rare (almost never) for 12 car trains to run on the PW line since the only station that has a 12 car platform is Woodside.

Going westbound, first 4 open cars. Going eastbound, rear 4 open cars.

There it is! Thanks for refreshing my memory.

It is extremely rare (almost never) for 12 car trains to run on the PW line since the only station that has a 12 car platform is Woodside.

Not really true. They run 12 car trains often during rush hour and it's not uncommon to see 12 car sets during off peak hours.

Not really true. They run 12 car trains often during rush hour and it's not uncommon to see 12 car sets during off peak hours.

Not as often as you think. It wouldn't be sensible.

Thanks. And what happens if we are in a car that does not open? Basically I'm screwed right?

Yes, verrrrry rare. Only trains 401, 402, 405, 406, 408, 411, 414, 415, 421, 425, 426, 434, 435, 438, 447, 452, 456, 459, 467, 471 are scheduled to run 12 car MUs. So only 22 times a day, and that's not even counting the Great Neck trains. But hey, there are also some offpeak trains which run with 6 cars.....

Why don't you try actually LISTENING to the announcements so you don't get screwed?

• Upvote 3

nyctransit: I agree with Snowblock: listen to the announcements and when you board, count the number of cars from the rear and board one that will platform. Otherwise, you'll have to get off later and backride.

Everyone else: 12 car trains can and do run on the PW, whether scheduled (like Snowblock listed) or unscheduled (ie late turns or equipment shortages forcing a different set of equipment on a particular run). If a 12 car set ends up there off peak, there are most likely closed cars in the consist, so not all 12 cars are open.

The only lines which can't run 12 car trains are the Atlantic Branch into Flatbush, Far Rock Branch, and West Hempstead (limited to 8 cars), 12 car trains must use the tk 2/3 platform at Port Washington (west 2 cars won't platform, but will clear the switch), the tk 4/5 platform at Long Beach (same deal), and 12 car trains must use tk 8 at Hempstead (12 cars on the Hempstead branch ARE a very rare sight!!), The diesel equipment is also restricted from Long Beach, due to clearance issues with the engines and the canopies, as well as tk 18 in NYP (NJT's multilevels are restricted from tk 18 too).

Edited by Snowblock

That's why I never bother with the 12 car trains, because the front two cars are usually locked.

That's why I never bother with the 12 car trains, because the front two cars are usually locked.

What does that even mean?

So you're standing on the platform (presumably at Douglaston) and a 12 car train pulls into the station. Do you just go, "Nah, I can't be bothered with this 12 car train, I'll wait for the next one."

I think she means that she'll just count every train as max 10 cars because the 12 cars trains are really 10 cars due the locked cars.

I think she means that she'll just count every train as max 10 cars because the 12 cars trains are really 10 cars due the locked cars.

lol

What does that even mean?

So you're standing on the platform (presumably at Douglaston) and a 12 car train pulls into the station. Do you just go, "Nah, I can't be bothered with this 12 car train, I'll wait for the next one."

No, it means I never realize that the train is 12 cars because it always overpasses the station by a bit. You know what I mean.

Are you looking for a fight? If you are, keep it up. We'll see who has the last laugh Edited by Brett

No, it means I never realize that the train is 12 cars because it always overpasses the station by a bit. You know what I mean.

Are you looking for a fight? If you are, keep it up. We'll see who has the last laugh

um wtf

• Upvote 1

um wtf

wtf you ask? Ok, that wasn't meant to be serious, but when did I become a she? Edited by Brett

Wow, take it easy. I'm not looking for a fight. I just typed 'she' and 'she'll' by mistake. I shouldn't be typing when I'm tired lol.

Anyway, I'm sorry for the typo and I hope you accept my apology.

I have a question: speaking of the Murray Hill station, I wonder why the LIRR didn't opt to build an island platform and close the side platforms when they did the [much-needed] renovations there a few years ago. The spacing between the tracks can easily support it unless it was an unintended side effect of the grade elimination from the 1920s and never intended to include an island platform. I guess simply extending the existing platforms is simply not possible or not feasible. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable about Murray Hill can chime in.

I have a question: speaking of the Murray Hill station, I wonder why the LIRR didn't opt to build an island platform and close the side platforms when they did the [much-needed] renovations there a few years ago. The spacing between the tracks can easily support it unless it was an unintended side effect of the grade elimination from the 1920s and never intended to include an island platform. I guess simply extending the existing platforms is simply not possible or not feasible. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable about Murray Hill can chime in.

Probably the ridership didn't warrant a full length station or any renovations to make it so. During the middays, every other train skips Murray Hill.

I remember years back Aurburndale had a small platform too but they lengthened it.