T/O Test 8098. On the fence about taking the job. Advice from Motormen?

uptown

I took the test in 2009 and scored pretty high (List # in low 200's). I was called in a few weeks ago and gave urine. I have since been contemplating whether or not to take the job if I pass the medical. I currently have a job that pays pretty well and I like it, but it does not have a pension, so so job security and the benefits suck, however, I leave home most days very excited about going to work. I am a hard worker, hightly motivated and enjoy reliable. My question to any current T/O's that are willing to assist me is simple. Is the job interesting, exciting, boring, mind numbing? Please chime in. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

I am not a T/O but I do work for NYCTA so I feel that I am qualified to answer your question. In regards to the job, it is going to be pretty tough when you first start out. You'll most likely be on what is called the Extra List when you come on board. This usually means that you are assigned a different job everyday which means reporting and clearing at all times of the day (your social life and relationship with a significant other may deteriorate which is rather unfortunate) the plus side of the list is that you may make a ton of money due to being on what is called report (you weren't assigned a job so they have come in and cover what ever opens up on the last minute) and then picking up a run so you get paid for the time you were on report plus how ever much the run may pay (which is never less than 8 hours!). Your RDO's (Regular Days Off) are NOT going to be weekends when you first start out unless you luck out and pick an XL slot with Sat/Sun RDO's or VR (Vacation Relief) where you might get one or two Sat and Sun's throughout the pick. All of these "negatives" in my eyes will be outweighed by what the job has to offer; great pay, job security, tax deferred retirement accounts (401k and 457b) and a pension...for now at least lol. I am a Bus Operator and I have fun with the job it's all what you make it!

One more thing, this is a safety sensitive title so you must be well rested and fully alert while on the job...remember....there is no such thing as, "I'm Sorry" in this business when folks get hurt. Any questions you may have feel free to PM me.

I am currently working

what do u do now? ill give u a more tailored answer.

I am currently in information Technology. I work for a small company and it is a very comfortable job, but the company itself is young and the technology field in general is not conducive to individuals looking for job security. It is usually best to learn a lot and prepare to use that new found knowledge as a bargaining tool for the next company that you work for. What I do like about it is the variety, but when I see mid 50 year old guys that started after me, with no pension and no foreseeable end to their work life, it scares the crap out of me. I just do not want to find myself bored for the next 25 years

I am not a T/O but I do work for NYCTA so I feel that I am qualified to answer your question. In regards to the job, it is going to be pretty tough when you first start out. You'll most likely be on what is called the Extra List when you come on board. This usually means that you are assigned a different job everyday which means reporting and clearing at all times of the day (your social life and relationship with a significant other may deteriorate which is rather unfortunate) the plus side of the list is that you may make a ton of money due to being on what is called report (you weren't assigned a job so they have come in and cover what ever opens up on the last minute) and then picking up a run so you get paid for the time you were on report plus how ever much the run may pay (which is never less than 8 hours!). Your RDO's (Regular Days Off) are NOT going to be weekends when you first start out unless you luck out and pick an XL slot with Sat/Sun RDO's or VR (Vacation Relief) where you might get one or two Sat and Sun's throughout the pick. All of these "negatives" in my eyes will be outweighed by what the job has to offer; great pay, job security, tax deferred retirement accounts (401k and 457b) and a pension...for now at least lol. I am a Bus Operator and I have fun with the job it's all what you make it!

One more thing, this is a safety sensitive title so you must be well rested and fully alert while on the job...remember....there is no such thing as, "I'm Sorry" in this business when folks get hurt. Any questions you may have feel free to PM me.

youngblaze, thank you so much for your input. That really puts things into perspective and makes me feel better. My father retired from transit. He was a bus operator and was miserable, but I have come to realize that we are completely different people. I am outgoing a social and he generally does not like the public (possibly as a result of his career?) I am fine with all of the inconveniences as long as the work that I do is rewarding and interesting. My fiance will understand LOL

Thank you again for your input and I may PM you with some specific questions. Just wanted to shout you out publicly

I do feel the bus operator's answer while biased, is generally correct. Transit has been one of the major ways (along with NYC public sector) to allow people with modest education to get a decent job and salary. In other words its a scapegoat for those who didn't have a direct drive in adolescense and beyond (due to various circumstances in or out of their control). Thats why I asked you what you did.

Where he went arwy is that he was thinking of the railfan's perspective of staying around trains and buses forever. Most people on here have no problem operating a train for 30 years once they get old enough to take the test and do so. With your (rather) superior education, T/O would be a good move. Not because of staying in T/O and retiring as one or a dispatcher or supervisor titles immediately above it, but to get your foot in the door. Once the year is complete which consists of or 6 months training and the rest mostly unsupervised operation, you can look at other jobs within transit, which hires just about every job title imaginable. You will have strong preference for insider IT jobs the public doesn't get to see and those listed for the public. Since IT pays well, u can still be in IT, but only do it for the MTA, and get a superior compensation package to what can be found in the private sector (pension, better health and vacation benefits, comparable pay as well just like the B/O said).

That's the route I would go - just do the probation operating, and looking for a way out. There are many ways out, from dedicated announcer (those robotic sounding voices that make station announcements, they're actaully people trained to speak like those you hear on R142 and up equipment) and other office jobs open up from time to time. There is life beyond RTO and MaBSTOA, that is trains and buses.

Ive been a conductor on the numbered lines for 3 years, a tower operator for a year on numbered lines, and a train operator on the letter lines for 2 years. I recently accepted a job offer for a sister agency. Its just a better job over there. I'm still working on my BA, which I'll get in another year so I have flexibility and can really look at high paying supervisor and managerial jobs in the company.

Just becareful because for the MTA in transportation is a rude awakening to the IT field as far as crazy work hours,social life has to be adjusted and working holidays is the norm. Plus dealing with the elements and physical aspects of the job. As far as walking on tracks ,walking over third rails and climbing equipment. I remember doing track training at the RR and the first day someone raise there hand ask do we have to walk over third rails and the instructor said they will be a part of everyday routine of being there and the guy quit on the spot. I'm not trying to scare but it is a job not for the faint heart and some of my friends who work for transit as T/O tell me some eye opening stories about the tunnels and its inhabitants. But just think it over and if you like what you do and probably the freedom it gives then don't leave. I tell you when the MTA got you it doesn't matter what agency, they really got you until you get some years. Good Luck.

You really think one spot is gong to make a difference when you pick a job?

It sure as hell does, all you have at the TA is your seniority. The person ahead of you will always be able to pick that job you wanted, get the vacation days you wanted and so on. That's why I was going to go to motors at PATH after being a conductor for 2 weeks on the road (because of Sandy the class as been pushed back). I'm going to be there for almost 30 years, why not get as much seniority as I can?

I'm surprised your father never told you this....

IF I was 10 slots ahead in senuiority from where I am now, I would still be in the EXACT same position. And if I was 45 slots ahead in seniority, I would be in a WORSE position because then I would have had to pick a job instead of getting to stay extra. And yes, in some cases, it is better to have less seniority. THat's something very few people tell you. My goal is to be right behind the person who picks the very last job, not in front of them. And certainly not in their place.

• 2 weeks later...

All I can say is do what you think is right. I loved being a T/O and did it for 6 Years. However just keep in mind working Holidays, Nights and weekends is part of the job and working up to 12-14 hours when you start in any part of the city will be routine. However also long as you do your job the right way your paycheck will always be waiting for you every 2 weeks.

All I can say is do what you think is right. I loved being a T/O and did it for 6 Years. However just keep in mind working Holidays, Nights and weekends is part of the job and working up to 12-14 hours when you start in any part of the city will be routine. However also long as you do your job the right way your paycheck will always be waiting for you every 2 weeks.

I would like to thank everyone for their replies as they were all in some ways useful in me making my decision. Pelham Bay Dave, I found your reply to be not only useful, but encouraging. That is all that I needed to hear..that someone actually enjoys the job. I was in management, retail and ran my own business before IT, so I am not intimidated by the holidays, nights and weekends. I am also not intimidated by demanding and hard work...The only thing that frightens and intimidates me is boredom. Your inspiring statement has helped me to make up my mind, that if given the opportunity, I will in fact pursue the train operator position. My appointment for medical and final processing was on Tuesday, but I could not make it due to the short notice and being on assignment at my current job. The young lady on the phone told me that I would have to restore my name on the list at DCAS. DCAS says that I have to wait until they receive notice that I am no longer on the list before I can go down. Hopefully the process will be painless and I will be able to be a part of the January or February class.

How long does someone have to be extra extra after 6 months of training? Is being extra extra only for 6 months after training? In 1 year someone can pick their own routes? Also, is it easy to get vacation time the first year? I guess vacation time can't be taken during school car training.

Archived