When will it ever take 45 minutes from Ronkonkoma or Babylon to Penn?

lawnguysland

on the hudson line YES IT DOES!!!!!!!! However I do believe NH needs more express trains or maybe a cross-honoring agreement with amtrak giving CT residents access to express trains at off peak hours. Realistically you will not pay $60 to go to NYP from NH. However I admit I have gotten an amtrak ticket to hartford from NYP for just $26 one way around the same cost to use MNRR and transfer yes shocking I know. Ronkonkoma line is fast takes 60 mins to reach jamacia from ronkonkoma a far cry from the embarrassing Port Jefferson line which is so slow has no right to even extend.

The "embarassing" Port jefferson line is not slow, its just the effect of switching to diesel/electric past Huntington and single track prevalence. 25 miles out of Jamaica puts you at wyandanch and huntington. The time difference of several minutes between the 2 lines can be attributed to KO being an express between Hicksville and Jamaica. If it ever was extended those problems would get addressed and give it plenty of "right" to being extended.

Some of the travel times from Penn to Port Jeff:

Dual Mode (no transfer) express Jamaica to Huntington: 1 hour 47 minutes

Dual Mode making all stops Jamaica, then New Hyde Park to Port Jefferson: 1 hour 56 minutes

Semi express to Hicksville, transfer to a Port Jeff train all local stops Syosset to Port Jeff: 1 hour 53 minutes

Local to Huntington, with a transfer: between 2 hours to 2 hours 15 minutes.

For comparison: Most trains to Ronkonkoma take an hour and 20 minutes. The super local train from Brooklyn, stopping at ENY, Jamaica, New Hyde Park and all stops to Ronkonkoma only takes an hour and 23 minutes.

The curves are what slows down the line. Also, a transfer doesn't slow down the line as much as a train making all stops.

I feel thats a gross over simplifcation. Ronkonkoma having 23 miles of track out from Hicksville and PJ 32 miles is kind of a big factor Port jefferson and ronkonkonma are also not equally effected by making stops as acceleration and stopping play to the strengths of Ronkonkoma's EMUs.

not during the off peak

on the hudson line YES IT DOES!!!!!!!!

The Hudson line has off peak express service.

There's a matter of opinion what's meant by express service. While the Hudson Line does have a certain level of off peak express service it's does not nearly compare to the peak express service.

During off peak most trains between GCT and Poughkeepse will go express between Harlem 125 and Croton Harmon (or at least make limited stops). During the peak hours there are trains that make no stops between 125 and Beacon (there are also some that skip 125 all together). There are also trains to and from Croton Harmon that only make Croton Harmon and Ossining.

The "embarassing" Port jefferson line is not slow, its just the effect of switching to diesel/electric past Huntington and single track prevalence. 25 miles out of Jamaica puts you at wyandanch and huntington. The time difference of several minutes between the 2 lines can be attributed to KO being an express between Hicksville and Jamaica. If it ever was extended those problems would get addressed and give it plenty of "right" to being extended.

I wasn't comparing KO to huntington line. I was comparing travel time from port jefferson to hicksville which is 1 hour to KO which is about an hour to reach jamacia from ronkonkoma.

There's a matter of opinion what's meant by express service. While the Hudson Line does have a certain level of off peak express service it's does not nearly compare to the peak express service.

During off peak most trains between GCT and Poughkeepse will go express between Harlem 125 and Croton Harmon (or at least make limited stops). During the peak hours there are trains that make no stops between 125 and Beacon (there are also some that skip 125 all together). There are also trains to and from Croton Harmon that only make Croton Harmon and Ossining.

Still, foxie said 'there is no express service during off-peak'. Doesn't matter if it's only half-express, express=express and thus foxie wasn't right.

Still, foxie said 'there is no express service during off-peak'. Doesn't matter if it's only half-express, express=express and thus foxie wasn't right.

what I meant was there was no express service that ran was the same distance as a theoretical Ronkonkoma to Penn express service. They have it in peak times, ones that run express after Beacon, but Croton on Hudson is closer to the city than Ronkonkoma

They have super expresses on all lines , and Jervis doesn't stop in Jersey so its a Express....The Usually run them from Stamford , Croton Harmon , sometimes Yonkers and North White Plains...

Dude your late we already established that.

I'd love to know how the (MTA) got past those braindead CAVEdwellers in NHP and Garden City.

Me too but I think braindead is too kind a word to describe those CAVEMEN!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

• 3 months later...

While all these other issues contribute, the OP is right. The switches around Jamaica are ancient. The express trains from Merrick take 45-50 to get to NYP because they CRAWL through Jamaica. 

Time to upgrade to high(er) speed switches!

DO NOT BUMP THIS!!!!!!! :deadhorse:  somebody please close this thread. :Lock:  :Lock:  :Lock:

Do not beat this dead horse anymore.

Archived