Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
R33WF

Almost 10 years later. the retirement of the redbirds

Last Run World's Fair R33/R36 cars made their last run in revenue service on the morning of 11/3/2003, with cars (E)9564-9565-9309-9582-9583-9584-9585-9617-9616-9587-9586(W). Left Time sq at 10;30AM making Local stops to Willets Point Shea Stadium

Red=scrap

green= still around

• Upvote 13

Last Run World's Fair R33/R36 cars made their last run in revenue service on the morning of 11/3/2003, with cars (E)9564-9565-9309-9582-9583-9584-9585-9617-9616-9587-9586 (W). Left Time sq at 10;30AM making Local stops to Willets Point Shea Stadium

Red=scrap

green= still around

I missed those Red Birds. T_T

Redbirds 4 LIFE! Grew up with them, love the colors, the interior, exterior, noise, etc! Heh even the smell of it too!! My #1 fav Subway Car series. (R26-36)

God do I hope for another Train of Many Color fan trip in the future someday. Went to the 08/09 one and hope for another!

img_3909.jpg

Edited by mark1447
  • Upvote 2

Ah yes, the good ol' Redbirds. Sadly, I have never been on one, except the R33 in the Transit Museum. :(

If it makes you feel any better the ride wasn't that different than the R32 and R38s.

Riding the Redbirds was almost like riding a smaller IRT sized R32, but instead of sliver they were red :P

Also just to throw this out it's also ten years ago to the last run of the R26/28/29 cars, which all took place in October of 2002. The R26/28s went in October 7th of 2002 while the R29s were gone by October 24th of the same year. http://nycsubway.org/wiki/A_Historic_Perspective_of_the_R-26,_R-28,_and_R-29

It's been quite a while since I've seen those cars and they were a blast to ride when they were around. My unfortunate thing is not riding them on the (6) or the (7), but I am grateful I rode them on the (2) were they dominated the line throughout the 1990s and into the early 2000s.

The R15-R38s were the RTS's of the NYCT subway!

Those were the fishbowls (new looks) of the subway. I thought of the R44-6 as the ADB's (RTS/Grumman), of the subway, (and the 62-68 would be like the TMC version). Both were the "new" vehicles that came around the same time (within 10 years apart) after becoming familiar with nearly identical older vehicles. (In retrospect, I would say the R40's and 42's would be more like the AM Generals of the subway; a sort of transition between old and new.
  • Upvote 1

The R142/A's and the R143's are the Orion 7 of the subway, with the R160's totaling out as the LFS. Then the R188's will be the Xcelsior's.

• Upvote 1

The R142/A's and the R143's are the Orion 7 of the subway, with the R160's totaling out as the LFS. Then the R188's will be the Xcelsior's.

No, the R142/A/S's, R143's AND R160A/B's are the Orion VIIs. The R211s will be the XD40s. Edited by Chargerdodge9

Those were the fishbowls (new looks) of the subway. I thought of the R44-6 as the ADB's (RTS/Grumman), of the subway, (and the 62-68 would be like the TMC version). Both were the "new" vehicles that came around the same time (within 10 years apart) after becoming familiar with nearly identical older vehicles. (In retrospect, I would say the R40's and 42's would be more like the AM Generals of the subway; a sort of transition between old and new.

Was there any reason why no trains orders (besides the R110A/B's) were made in the 1990s?

Was there any reason why no trains orders (besides the R110A/B's) were made in the 1990s?

The first sets of the R142 and R142A came in 1999, most of the Redbirds was just about turning 40 around that time... perfect timing.

Also, money problems (they did need some cars as the R30's were forced into retirement, causing a bit of a shortage); plus, the 110's had just arrived, and were the test for the NTT generation, so they took the time to test them, and adjust the final design of the NTT's, which then started arriving at the end of the decade.