Almost 10 years later. the retirement of the redbirds

R33WF

As per Wikipedia on the R27s...

"Retirement of the R27s started with the arrival of the R68 & R68As from 1986-1989 and was completed by 1990."

And the R16s...

"The R16GEs were replaced by the R46s in 1977, but reactivated due to the R46 truck issues and remained in service until 1983. The R16WH cars were replaced in 1987 by the R68 fleet..."

And the R10s...

"The R10s were replaced by the R68 and R68A car classes."

...so you're both right

Did the R68/A's replace the R27s?

The 27s and unrebuilt 30s as Fresh Pond said were replaced by R68/As. Those cars were also prematurely retired as many of them were in their late 20s or about to hit 30 years of service (to the best of my knowledge none of them hit 30 years in service). At that time fewer people were riding the subway and this also led to the retirement of the rebuilt R30s. Since fewer people were riding less trains were needed until the Metrocard was introduced, but by then it was too late to salvage any of the R30s as ridership went up again. The cars not having A/C also played a role in their retirement as well as the abuse they went through in the 70s and 80s. The R143s were essentially the rebuilt R30's replacement.

Next year in 2013, it will officially be 10 years since the retirement of the Redbirds. I remember riding them each time I rode on the (2) when I visited NYC. The (2) is the line I have ridden on more than any other line.

To pay tribute to them after 10 years without them, I personally came up with an interesting idea: introduce red wraps for select IRT trains. The red wraps should placed on select trains that serve lines traditionally served by the Redbirds - the (2), (4), (5), (6), and (7).

So, how does anyone like this idea? The R142/R142As would look beautiful in red.

Next year in 2013, it will officially be 10 years since the retirement of the Redbirds. I remember riding them each time I rode on the (2) when I visited NYC. The (2) is the line I have ridden on more than any other line.

To pay tribute to them after 10 years without them, I personally came up with an interesting idea: introduce red wraps for select IRT trains. The red wraps should placed on select trains that serve lines traditionally served by the Redbirds - the (2), (4), (5), (6), and (7).

So, how does anyone like this idea? The R142/R142As would look beautiful in red.

If you can come up with the money to apply that to some of the R142/142As, the MTA would happily do it.

It's a neat idea but I doubt the MTA would want to pay respects to departed cars - it hasn't happened to such cars as the 'Arnines', which, it could be argued, are more important - being the first of the R-type cars for one thing.

Plus, you will get Redbird haters whining about how "they shouldn't desecrate their beloved NTTs with the paint scheme of such junky cars".

It's a neat idea but I doubt the MTA would want to pay respects to departed cars - it hasn't happened to such cars as the 'Arnines', which, it could be argued, are more important - being the first of the R-type cars for one thing.

Plus, you will get Redbird haters whining about how "they shouldn't desecrate their beloved NTTs with the paint scheme of such junky cars".

It's a wrap. Like has been said before, ride a different line or don't ride the subway at all...

how about just run them on a fan trip instead of the wrap idea, and the R68/A's replaced the R10,16 and most of the R27's, the R30's were retired due to cuts and the (MTA) being such retards, The R143 Replaced the R30's basically just 7-8 years later, the R30's had no A/C that was one reason why they retired them, but they did waste money overhauling them just to scrap them, a few cars got scrapped with WET paint

One fan trip compared to a wrap on them the whole year... which would be better?

a fan trip, why would you want to wrap abunch of R142's, a fan trip would make sense, plus next year would be the perfect time to run them in a fan trip since they are being fixed up and repainted

a fan trip, why would you want to wrap abunch of R142's, a fan trip would make sense, plus next year would be the perfect time to run them in a fan trip since they are being fixed up and repainted

Because the R142's replaced them... the 142's were originally supposed to be painted red....

It was a reference to both sides. OTT lovers will want nothing but wrapped trains, and OTT haters will not want to have the NTT's used to pay homage to the Redbirds.

they wouldn't want both, they would want the actual train plus it would help since they WOULD pay for it if was in a fan trip

trust me, i know since im friends with alot of older railbuffs, they wouldn't want to see that, i already know whats gonna happen in 2013 anyway

I highly doubt that.

And why are we debating this here... it probably will be a fan trip...

I have this feeling that I am probably going to still have way into 2013 that some sort of fantrip may take place involving the cars located at Unionport. Don't know if anything will be done with those cars, but that is a year away. So for now I will play the waiting game.

I love the idea. It would be awesome if the (MTA) would do this but like what was said earlier, where's the money? Plus there are other things that they need to do to those trains but that's for another topic altogether but it would be sweet to see a red wrap or some kind of color on the R142/A's.

I love the idea. It would be awesome if the (MTA) would do this but like what was said earlier, where's the money? Plus there are other things that they need to do to those trains but that's for another topic altogether but it would be sweet to see a red wrap or some kind of color on the R142/A's.

They're always wrapping the GC shuttle cars, inside and out. But I guess that's bringing in money for advertising. I guess if someone developed a largely red ad wrap. I could see Target doing something like that.

(Also reminds me of how those Monroe ads basically brought back the blue stripe. Now, I don't think they even have those anymore. Never did use them on a 44 or 46).

Archived