NICE at Hempstead and SCT at Babylon

BM5 via Woodhaven

Awesome pics! How bad did Babylon get hit from Sandy?

Where was the pic of 8004 taken?

Was the last pic @ Amityville?

The next time you are in Amityville & want a treat go to the corner of Oak and Rt 110 and watch some of the 800x's on the S1 make that right turn, it's tight and people stopped at the light on Oak St are usually over the stop line.

I've always wanted to drive the S1, I went up 110 the other day from Amityville to about a mile past SUNY Farmingdale and couldn't help but feel those drivers. Traffic was even worse than usual and the lines for gas in the right lane were messing things up even more.

Awesome pics! How bad did Babylon get hit from Sandy?

At the time Babylon had some street flooding. All S27 buses went on Notmal route that day all day

Where was the pic of 8004 taken?

Walt Whitman Mall

Was the last pic @ Amityville?

Yes

The next time you are in Amityville & want a treat go to the corner of Oak and Rt 110 and watch some of the 800x's on the S1 make that right turn, it's tight and people stopped at the light on Oak St are usually over the stop line.

I've always wanted to drive the S1, I went up 110 the other day from Amityville to about a mile past SUNY Farmingdale and couldn't help but feel those drivers. Traffic was even worse than usual and the lines for gas in the right lane were messing things up even more.

The thing about the day also was that SCT stopped running at 6 PM. That cut my time short. I was gonna go to Patchogue, then WWM, but decided to be safe and not get stuck in Suffolk. The trip to Amityville was unexpected. the thing is that the n79 never came, which was my goal. Them take the 22L at Hicksville. Also you had to pay on SCT. It wasn't free.

Nice shots. Since when did SCT have Gillig Advantage BRTs?

since 2008, when the county joined a group of other county's in the state who brought Gillig Advantage BRTs the same year to show that they were thing of going green or something like that. They were used soley on the S1 until EBT took over Inter-County's old routes, now they are used on the S54, S63, S57. I'm not sure about the S29 or S33, but since EBT has run 40ft buses on those lines, my guess would be that they have been or could be used, I just have no record of them being used.

For the buses you have picures of that don't have their routes shown, do you happen to remeber what route they were on, I've been keeping a record of what buses have been used on what route since the system started in 1981 to see which one has used the most. The current route with the most buses used since 1981 may suprise you.

since 2008, when the county joined a group of other county's in the state who brought Gillig Advantage BRTs the same year to show that they were thing of going green or something like that. They were used soley on the S1 until EBT took over Inter-County's old routes, now they are used on the S54, S63, S57. I'm not sure about the S29 or S33, but since EBT has run 40ft buses on those lines, my guess would be that they have been or could be used, I just have no record of them being used.

For the buses you have picures of that don't have their routes shown, do you happen to remeber what route they were on, I've been keeping a record of what buses have been used on what route since the system started in 1981 to see which one has used the most. The current route with the most buses used since 1981 may suprise you.

5024 I never knew since it was on layup for more than an hour

9920 was on the S25

1040 and 1002 were on the S40

5023 was a S23 who eventually left as an S29 at WWM

1042 was on the S54

I would love to see a pic of that as I have only seen the 800x's on the S1... I did see one in Commack at the begining of the year with "not in service" displayed so I don't know what the story is with that (although I'd love to know)...

Sometimes at night (as in not anytime SCT would be operating) I will see a BRT parked on the side at Amityville RR by the Fire Dept. I figure the driver must live near there or parks it at the RR to avoid the mess in the morning at EBT. I know EBT allows drivers to keep their school buses at home overnight.

5024 I never knew since it was on layup for more than an hour

9920 was on the S25

1040 and 1002 were on the S40

5023 was a S23 who eventually left as an S29 at WWM

1042 was on the S54

9920 couldn't have been on the S25, the S25 is operated by EBT, #9920 is operated by Suffolk Bus Corp.

I would love to see a pic of that as I have only seen the 800x's on the S1... I did see one in Commack at the begining of the year with "not in service" displayed so I don't know what the story is with that (although I'd love to know)...

I haven't discovered any pictures of the 80xx's on any other routes, mostly because everyone that takes pictures don't like to travel east to much. I do though have multiple accounts from two reliable sources about 80xx's being used on the S54 and S63. EBT however doesn't always assign the same bus to the same route or run everyday, I believe since taken over the S63 they have don't only a handful of times.

Sometimes at night (as in not anytime SCT would be operating) I will see a BRT parked on the side at Amityville RR by the Fire Dept. I figure the driver must live near there or parks it at the RR to avoid the mess in the morning at EBT. I know EBT allows drivers to keep their school buses at home overnight.

EBT still allows their drivers to keep school buses off site, alot of companies, Suffolk Transportation Service Inc (Sister company to Suffolk Bus Corp) being a notable one, has stopped the practice after the Department of Homeland Security sent a letter out to all the companies to advise them that they should stop the practice.

I wonder why they didn't buy Orion VII hybrids instead of Clean diesels.

The order that became the Orion VII's was always slated to be clean-diesels, even when the county brought the Hybrid Electic Gilligs. I think the only reason why the county got them was to show that they would consider Hybrid-Electric buses, to please the eviromentalist. Though that is my guess. Besides the need for 40ft buses for the S1.

I haven't discovered any pictures of the 80xx's on any other routes, mostly because everyone that takes pictures don't like to travel east to much. I do though have multiple accounts from two reliable sources about 80xx's being used on the S54 and S63. EBT however doesn't always assign the same bus to the same route or run everyday, I believe since taken over the S63 they have don't only a handful of times.

ould stop the practice.

Was this recently or more near the beginning of this year when things were all over the place? I wonder if EBT was testing them on other routes or maybe drivers who came over from inter county wanted to try them out?

I wonder why the 800X are predominantly on the S1? Especially considering that now they have a vast amount of 40 foot Orion's why the 800x aren't exposed to more routes instead of being sheltered on the S1...?

Are buses assigned to the driver or do they just assign what is available? I do see the drivers get the same bus everyday on the S1, I was also talking to a driver a while ago who told me her pick has her doing the S1 as well as the S54 I(at least one day a week). So if the driver does the S1 one day and the S54 on another day and is assigned the same bus that would explain why a 800x could be on the S54...

Was this recently or more near the beginning of this year when things were all over the place? I wonder if EBT was testing them on other routes or maybe drivers who came over from inter county wanted to try them out?

I wonder why the 800X are predominantly on the S1? Especially considering that now they have a vast amount of 40 foot Orion's why the 800x aren't exposed to more routes instead of being sheltered on the S1...?

Are buses assigned to the driver or do they just assign what is available? I do see the drivers get the same bus everyday on the S1, I was also talking to a driver a while ago who told me her pick has her doing the S1 as well as the S54 I(at least one day a week). So if the driver does the S1 one day and the S54 on another day and is assigned the same bus that would explain why a 800x could be on the S54...

From what I can tell it started after EBT took over Inter-County's routes. The S1 drivers could be assigned the same bus since techaniaclly the S1 should be using only 40ft buses, and EBT only has 13 of them, so it could be easy to assign them to the same run everyday.

Proof of a change of assigned is shown by the fact 1052 was caught on the S27. 1052 under ICMC was assigned to the S63, and in the months since Janurary 1052 was used on that route only a handful of times.

Here has been the 40ft assignments since EBT has taken over ICMC Routes.

S23- 0

S25- 0

S27- 1003-1004

S29- 1007

S35- 0

S54- 8001-8004,1001-1009 (1001 was involved in a fenderbender a few months ago on the S1)

S57- 1007, 1009

S63- 8001-8002,1001-1009

As for how the buses get assigned to a driver, it could be use to the company to how its done. EBT could have it all planed out for all or some of the routes, or they could do it by a driver takes the first bus that is avilible, or the driver with the most seniority gets to pick.

I also have no idea how EBT does their driver schudules either. I heard that One S63 run changes drivers, and possibly buses, at the IRS Center in Holtsville. The other S63 run changes at Smith Haven.

Also heard that a S54 driver does the route to near lunch time, leaves for a few hours and then comes back and does the route in the evening. I have no idea if this is everyday or once a week.

From what I can tell it started after EBT took over Inter-County's routes. The S1 drivers could be assigned the same bus since techaniaclly the S1 should be using only 40ft buses, and EBT only has 13 of them, so it could be easy to assign them to the same run everyday.

Are you sure about this? Where did you get this info? There are regularly phantoms on the S1, I see a lot more 40ft'ers but see phantoms and non 40 foot Orion's on the S1 (and I've seen these Phantoms & non no 40 foot phantoms last week when I was on 110)...

Personally, I think that Suffork needs to look into merging all the depots into one, perhaps build a new depot to house 160 buses or so. Would the unions even allow that?

You can't be serious!

I mean you are going to have Long Deaheads from routes that operate on the forks as well as the routes from the west. And I think the current setup is good.

The thing about the day also was that SCT stopped running at 6 PM. That cut my time short. I was gonna go to Patchogue, then WWM, but decided to be safe and not get stuck in Suffolk. The trip to Amityville was unexpected. the thing is that the n79 never came, which was my goal. Them take the 22L at Hicksville. Also you had to pay on SCT. It wasn't free.

S54 unlike most lines runs past 6PM. S40 goes untill 10PM. If you don't trust it use LIRR.

Are you sure about this? Where did you get this info? There are regularly phantoms on the S1, I see a lot more 40ft'ers but see phantoms and non 40 foot Orion's on the S1 (and I've seen these Phantoms & non no 40 foot phantoms last week when I was on 110)...

From a friend who worked for one of the operators. Suffolk County tells the companies what routes to assign the buses when they first came. Thats why the 40ft buses were only assigned to the S1, S33, and S92 and nowhere else. Since the contract change however, the companies seem to run what ever bus on what ever route as they please.

S54 unlike most lines runs past 6PM. S40 goes untill 10PM. If you don't trust it use LIRR.

Suffolk Transit shut the system down exactly at 6pm the Friday and Saturday after Hurricane Sandy hit, due to saftely concerns with almost all the county with out power, besides flooding in some reas. The LIRR though was bearly running out to the eastern section of Suffolk County.

Personally, I think that Suffork needs to look into merging all the depots into one, perhaps build a new depot to house 160 buses or so. Would the unions even allow that?

Suffolk doesn't a) have the money do that, and b) if the last change they wanted to make to the system, which wasn't implamented until the start of this year, is any indercation the crret operators would probably sue the county again.

As for unions, there is the TWU 252 which supports drivers and machanics at Suffolk Bus Corp,and a Teamsters Local that supports workers at Sunrise Coach. I have no idea what union Supports drivers at EBT, and I heard that Hampton Jitney workers don't have a union. I heard that CBS Lines had a poor union, and ICMC had a Teamsters local as well, but it wasn't the same local that Sunrise workers had.

Archived