NJT to get Help from SEPTA

MarkD329

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20121103_SEPTA_sending_buses_to_help_shuttle_riders_to_NYC.html

With PATH still out of service, NJT needs lots of buses to shuttle passengers to NYC. NJT has borrowed 30 buses from SEPTA to help out with the shuttles.

One question is: What routes did NJT establish on the shuttle lines?

At least one shuttle line has to go to Lower Manhattan, and another will probably go to Midtown or the PABT.

Bus Fans Alert: Try to get photos of the SEPTA buses [mostly Nabis, Flyers and maybe a couple of Neoplan Artics in action] either in NJ, or in Lower Manhattan.

Finally a question to the moderator: Why was my previous post on this subject removed from this board? I am quite upset on this matter.

Wow, I'm spending the night in PA right now and I must say I'm really shocked.

Wait a minute... the Port Authority uses Coach USA for PATH shuttles don't they? Why the hell is NJT operating these shuttles?

EDIT: Whoops, read in the news article that Suburban will be operating the buses. Guess CUSA requested that NJT get additional buses since they couldn't handle the PATH shuttles 100% with their RTSs NABIs and MCIs, which really doesn't make sense to me since their MCIs don't see that much use on the weekends.

The articles are implying that they will be used to move passengers to Manhattan.

http://www.phillybur...d6a5f5355a.html

SEPTA to loan 30 buses to NJ Transit

SEPTA will loan 30 buses to NJ Transit, which was severely impacted by Hurricane Sandy.

The buses are needed for NJ Transit's rail service into New York City, which is still undergoing impact from the storm.

Thousands of New Jersey residents cannot get into Manhattan because there is not enough service.

The SEPTA "loaner" buses will augment the remaining fleet of NJ Transit's operable vehicles, said SEPTA Director of Media Relations Jerri Williams.

SEPTA General Manager Joe Casey said regular SEPTA customers should not experience problems.

"We do not anticipate that this slight reduction of our bus fleet will cause bus passengers to experience any inconvenience or overcrowding," he said. "I'm confident that our riders will agree that helping our neighbors in New Jersey, who have limited public transportation options, is the right thing to do."

A convoy of 31 buses will leave SEPTA's depot at 10 a.m. Sunday and travel to New Brunswick, about 62 miles away. The 31st bus will bring the SEPTA drivers back home.

oh if only the NOVA LFS artics came to SEPTA a little earlier, then you would've seen both NOVA LFS buses from MTA and SEPTA in lower Manhattan

Also, i wonder what kind of destination signs will be programmed to say? just Shuttle, Special or anything specific pertaining to the shuttle routes? they can't say SEPTA

oh if only the NOVA LFS artics came to SEPTA a little earlier, then you would've seen both NOVA LFS buses from MTA and SEPTA in lower Manhattan

I doubt SEPTA would have sent their newest buses to another operator.

It could be Neoplan artics or NABI's since NJT operators are familiar with driving both types.

I've been trying to find some solid information regarding the routes that these buses will run on, but I can't find it on either NJ Transit or PATH. I did find out that the US DOT is planning to have 200 buses ready for service into Manhattan as a replacement for the rail lines.

http://www.app.com/v...ortation-system

Feds pledge $10M, 200 buses to help N.J.'s transportation system

NEWARK — After inspecting flood damage to NJ Transit’s Newark City Subway, two federal lawmakers and U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood pledged $10 million and 200 buses Friday to get the state’s transportation system back on its feet.

Hood said the federal Department of Transportation will provide 200 buses to get passengers to expanded trans-Hudson ferry service and through the Holland Tunnel to lower Manhattan.

That service could start Monday, or as soon as possible, from emergency park-and-ride facilities at the Meadowlands sports complex, the Izod Center and Liberty State Park, in addition to existing ferry facilities, said James Weinstein, NJ Transit executive director.

The $10 million is from an emergency highway fund that will be used for repairing or replacing bridges and roads damaged by Hurricane Sandy, LaHood said.

That money was secured in the latest federal transportation bill authorization through the work of U.S. Sens. Frank Lautenberg and Robert Menendez, who accompanied LaHood on his visit to storm-damaged places and transportation facilities Friday.

Lautenberg and Menendez sent a letter requesting FEMA help in working with NY Waterway and other ferry providers and private bus companies to expand service to lower Manhattan, similar to what was done after the 9/11 terrorist attacks took out PATH rail service to lower Manhattan.

“We responded to the request for buses to deliver people while infrastructure is inspected,” LaHood said.

The good news was a request for rail cars didn’t have to be honored, because inspections showed NJ Transit’s train fleet came through the storm in good shape, LaHood said.

Weinstein said Amtrak is close to clearing a second Hudson River tunnel tube for use, allowing NJ Transit to run trains on a weekend schedule to New York.

North Jersey Coast Line and Raritan Valley Line trains also could run on modified routes on Monday, with the Coast Line running from Woodbridge north, and RVL running from Somerset County to Newark Penn Station.

SeaStreak Ferry also will resume limited operation from its Connor Highlands dock on Monday, and NY Waterway will run a full schedule of boats between Belford and New York.

FEMA money for transit will take legislation, for which Lautenberg said he hopes to get bipartisan cooperation.

Some of the federal DOT buses could be used to substitute for the Coast Line south of Raritan Bay and other locations.

“We should have everything back in four to five weeks — can’t say we’ll be at levels of service before the storm,” Weinstein said. “It’s not all finalized, it’s a work in progress.”

Damage assessments are being done on the Raritan Bay drawbridge, which was struck by two tugboats, Weinstein said. No total damage estimate has been done, but he said it could run into the “10s of millions of dollars.”

I have a little more information now:

http://www.metro.us/philadelphia/local/article/1155468--photos-septa-loans-30-buses-to-n-j-transit-to-help-shuttle-riders-to-nyc

PHOTOS: SEPTA loans 30 buses to N.J. Transit to help shuttle riders to NYC

9e54b4d14f5ab2b097c3cba76da6.pngMetro Philadelphia City Desk

ALEX WIGGLESWORTH

Published: November 04, 2012 1:04 p.m.

Last modified: November 04, 2012 2:22 p.m.

SEPTA has loaned buses to N.J. Transit to help the state's remaining operable vehicles shuttle riders between New Jersey and New York City. Jersey's transit system – especially its light and commuter railways – were hard-hit by Hurricane Sandy, leading to statewide service suspensions.

5a64fa8147c68b6f13af050c6be4.jpg

The convoy of 31 SEPTA buses departed from the 1500 block of Alan Wood Road in Conshohocken at 10 a.m. this morning and is making the 62-mile journey to New Brunswick, N.J. via the Pennsylvania Turnpike, the N.J. Turnpike and I-95. The fleet is comprised of eight buses from each of SEPTA's eight bus districts, all of which recently passed a 3,000-mile maintenance inspection.

90fa09d242bbbc8b301ebe054e8e.jpg

The buses will be dropped off at Suburban Transit on the 700 block of Somerset Street in New Brunswick. Bus drivers with the commuter and charter company that services Mercer, Middle and Somerset counties in New Jersey will operate the 30 SEPTA buses for N.J. Transit. Thirty of the donated buses will be used as "loaners," while one bus will used to transport the SEPTA drivers manning the fleet back home.

a1ad78ce4fc296c7f28919af7a15.jpg

SEPTA officials said they don't expect the act of charity to impact local transit riders. "We do not anticipate that this slight reduction of our bus fleet will cause bus passengers to experience any inconvenience or overcrowding," General Manager Joe Casey said in a statement. "I'm confident that our riders will agree that helping our neighbors in New Jersey, who have limited public transportation options, is the right thing to do."

f5da82a74cf3a35687cba7898624.jpg

I just saw SEPTA Facebook Photo album. Photo Courtesty goes to SEPTA.

Post-Hurricane Relief: SEPTA Loans 31 Buses to New Jersey Transit

Updated 10 minutes ago

In the wake of Hurricane Sandy, SEPTA has loaned buses to N.J. Transit to help the state's remaining operable vehicles shuttle riders between New Jersey and New York City. The convoy, led by SEPTA Police and Pennsylvania and NJ State Troopers, traveled to Suburban Transit in New Brunswick. Bus drivers employed by Suburban Transit will operate the 30 SEPTA buses for NJ TRANSIT.

533514_555926144423692_1287398817_n.jpg

486281_555926101090363_2131197446_n.jpg

305553_555926134423693_1710406392_n.jpg

197170_555926161090357_161169380_n.jpg

Even DART will provide New Jersey Transit with buses, too:

http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/the-feed/item/46529-dart-to-provide-20-buses-to-nj-transit?linktype=all_feedtop

DART to provide 20 buses to NJ Transit

November 5, 2012

By Shannon McDonald

First SEPTA, now DART — the still-recovering NJ Transit will get additional buses to boost its service while the rest of Hurricane Sandy's damage is cleared.

SEPTA announced over the weekend it would provide NJ Transit with 31 buses, and DART said this morning it will lend the NJ service 20 of its buses.

The line of buses will leave Wilmington at noon today and make their way to North Bergen, N.J. Twenty DART employees will make sure the buses arrive at their destination.

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20121105/NEWS15/121105014/1002

This is why I loved being a bus operator: the job isn't just to make money (though it's a good reason), but it is to help your fellow neighbor, friend, family, whomever, to get to where they need to go, to hopefully make their lives or just their day a bit happier. To see DART and SEPTA help NJT, it makes me smile and wish that I had some way to move back to North Bergen and help my brothers and sisters with trying to bring some normalcy back into NJ, even if it was a month. Hell, I'd do it for less than what NJT paid me before (as long as it's $10 a hour...lol). That's why I'm fighting hard to get the money to get a place and extra money aside for necessities as well as rainy day cash (you never know now these days when you might need it), and help NJT, MTA, or whoever that will take me and allow me to use my God-given talents and help others. I just wish I can get that opportunity back again.

So seeing that those SEPTA buses were handed over to Suburban Transit, and seeing how Suburban Transit will operate only in New Jersey, I guess they won't be making an appearance in New York...

My question though is will we see Academy use it tour/charter fleet in the NYC-NJ emergency shuttle service since the demand for charter/tour market will be down.

Archived