MLB Hot Stove and Off Season News Thread 2012-'13

Shortline Bus

Now with the 2012 season a wrap with the SF Giants winning the world series for 2nd time in 3 years, lets now focus on off season news right thru spring trainning next March of 2013.

Leading off, the first of the major 2012 awards were given a couple of days ago. Got overshadowed by the tragic events of Hurricane Sandy. It was the 2012 Golden Gloves Award Winners(IMO should be renamed either the Willie Mays or Ozzie Smith arguably the (2) best defensive players in modern MLB History(since)for MLB best defensive players. Here the list.

National League

1B Adam Laroche, Washington Nationals 2B Darwin Barney, Chicago Cubs SS Jimmy Rollins, Philadelphia Phillies 3B Chase Headley, San Diego Padres LF Carlos Gonzalez, Colorado Rockies

CF Andrew McCutchen, Pittsburgh Pirates RF Jason Heyward, Atlanta Braves

P Mark Buehrle Miami Marlins

3B

reactions? CF

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Astros unveiled their new logo

Yup Q43. I did not hear about it till today (busy with Hurricane Sandy)so looks they went back to their colors of the 1970's. Thus a retro look.

ap-astros-uniforms-baseball_005-4_3_rx512_c680x510.jpg?0f5c31de35bf4ef88a50c2e35ee3bc4da4bf3083

Oh forget to list the 2012 AL Golden Glove Award Winners.

P — (tie for co-winners)Jeremy Hellickson, Tampa Bay and Jake Peavy, Chicago White Sox

C — Matt Wieters, Baltimore

1B — Mark Teixeira, N.Y. Yankees

2B — Robinson Cano, N.Y. Yankees

SS — J.J. Hardy, Baltimore

3B — Adrian Beltre, Texas

LF — Alex Gordon, Kansas City

CF — Adam Jones, Baltimore

RF — Josh Reddick, Oakland

Read more: http://www.foxnews.c.../#ixzz2BIxZ10Vw

Yup Q43. I did not hear about it till today (busy with Hurricane Sandy)so looks they went back to their colors of the 1970's. Thus a retro look.

ap-astros-uniforms-baseball_005-4_3_rx512_c680x510.jpg?0f5c31de35bf4ef88a50c2e35ee3bc4da4bf3083

Oh forget to list the 2012 AL Golden Glove Award Winners.

P — (tie for co-winners)Jeremy Hellickson, Tampa Bay and Jake Peavy, Chicago White Sox

C — Matt Wieters, Baltimore

1B — Mark Teixeira, N.Y. Yankees

2B — Robinson Cano, N.Y. Yankees

SS — J.J. Hardy, Baltimore

3B — Adrian Beltre, Texas

LF — Alex Gordon, Kansas City

CF — Adam Jones, Baltimore

RF — Josh Reddick, Oakland

Read more: http://www.foxnews.c.../#ixzz2BIxZ10Vw

The new uniforms look excellent. Nice throwback to the early 70s Astros unis.

Yankee Speculation free agents that stay and go :

Swisher - is a good as GONE.. his NO SHOW BAT in Oct hurt his value but he can still play solid in the outfield and man a good 1st base when needed

Chavez - questionable... he did do very well this season playing 3rd when Alex was down... he doesn't have the same bat he used to have but that short porch in right could make this resign something to think about

Jones - GONE his bat completely disappeared the 2nd half of the season

Martin - Easy to say he's expected to return next season... above average defender and this season he hit the most HR's he's ever hit in a single season... hard to see the YANKS replacing his offensive output

Suzuki - was a gift for the YANKS last season and if they are smart they will resign Suzuki... he many not play everyday but his speed and ability to get down the line and cause havoc on base will be a great weapon for the Yankees for a full season.... 1 yr deal for Ichiro 10-13mill range

Pettitte - ball is always in his court... he did put up some decent numbers this season pitching to a 2.87 ERA in just only 9 games... if he still feels the urge to pitch... another 1 yr deal might be in the works for him

Rivera - Mo is Mo... 43yrs old best closer in the game period... he's coming back.. which means bye bye Soriano unfortunately

Feliciano - NEVER played a game in Pinstripes since signing his contract smh.... he's GONE

Garcia - decent out of the bullpen but theres a feeling that he wants to start again... he may not be the same Freddy of old but he stuff can still get hitters out... i expect him to NOT return for a starting job somewhere else

Kuroda - the Yankees MOST consistent pitcher this past season.... its safe to say Kuroda definitely earned a pay raise this past season... his WAR rate is in the top 5 with pitchers this season (5.2)... his ERA was good too 3.32 ( 8th best in the AL)..he's a horse throwing 219 + innings this season... if he decides he wants another 1yr at 12-15million....Cashman just might backup the Brinks truck to Kuroda's house

Lowe - late season addition.... provided solid innings out of the pen... but like Garcia he too wants a starting Job so adios Derek Lowe

Ibanez - what bad can you say about Raul.. he did everything he was paid to do this season and then some.... for a part time player to put up 19HR's... and his bat continued will into the postseason its hard to see the Yankees letting him walk... 1 or 2 yr deal may be in the works for Raul " too cool " Ibanez

Yankee Speculation free agents that stay and go :

Swisher - is a good as GONE.. his NO SHOW BAT in Oct hurt his value but he can still play solid in the outfield and man a good 1st base when needed

Chavez - questionable... he did do very well this season playing 3rd when Alex was down... he doesn't have the same bat he used to have but that short porch in right could make this resign something to think about

Jones - GONE his bat completely disappeared the 2nd half of the season

Martin - Easy to say he's expected to return next season... above average defender and this season he hit the most HR's he's ever hit in a single season... hard to see the YANKS replacing his offensive output

Suzuki - was a gift for the YANKS last season and if they are smart they will resign Suzuki... he many not play everyday but his speed and ability to get down the line and cause havoc on base will be a great weapon for the Yankees for a full season.... 1 yr deal for Ichiro 10-13mill range

Pettitte - ball is always in his court... he did put up some decent numbers this season pitching to a 2.87 ERA in just only 9 games... if he still feels the urge to pitch... another 1 yr deal might be in the works for him

Rivera - Mo is Mo... 43yrs old best closer in the game period... he's coming back.. which means bye bye Soriano unfortunately

Feliciano - NEVER played a game in Pinstripes since signing his contract smh.... he's GONE

Garcia - decent out of the bullpen but theres a feeling that he wants to start again... he may not be the same Freddy of old but he stuff can still get hitters out... i expect him to NOT return for a starting job somewhere else

Kuroda - the Yankees MOST consistent pitcher this past season.... its safe to say Kuroda definitely earned a pay raise this past season... his WAR rate is in the top 5 with pitchers this season (5.2)... his ERA was good too 3.32 ( 8th best in the AL)..he's a horse throwing 219 + innings this season... if he decides he wants another 1yr at 12-15million....Cashman just might backup the Brinks truck to Kuroda's house

Lowe - late season addition.... provided solid innings out of the pen... but like Garcia he too wants a starting Job so adios Derek Lowe

Ibanez - what bad can you say about Raul.. he did everything he was paid to do this season and then some.... for a part time player to put up 19HR's... and his bat continued will into the postseason its hard to see the Yankees letting him walk... 1 or 2 yr deal may be in the works for Raul " too cool " Ibanez

If Raul Ibanez gets resigned, keep him on the bench. Same goes with Ichiro. If not, have them start until a young prospect is ready to replace them at their respective positions.

I wouldn't be surprised if they platooned Ichiro and Ibanez especially if Gardner is healthy next year.

I'm not sold on Martin. He was ice cold with the bat, I'd let him go unless he comes back for less.

Swisher is totally gone, another failure in the playoffs.

Chavez, I'd keep if it's a bench role to be a sub for the infield.

Garcia, I was hoping for good things based on the year before, but he fizzled and was inconsistent. He and Lowe can both go if they want to be starters that bad.

Andy and Mo, of course bring them back if they want to return. You can never have enough pitching! Soriano, I'd probably try to keep as long as it's $15 mil, but any more and forget it. I may like Mo, but you still need a successor. Robertson struggled a bit and wasn't 100%, I think he'll need another year to regain that form that made him a lights out set up guy for Rivera.

I wouldn't be surprised if they platooned Ichiro and Ibanez especially if Gardner is healthy next year.

I'm not sold on Martin. He was ice cold with the bat, I'd let him go unless he comes back for less.

Swisher is totally gone, another failure in the playoffs.

Chavez, I'd keep if it's a bench role to be a sub for the infield.

Garcia, I was hoping for good things based on the year before, but he fizzled and was inconsistent. He and Lowe can both go if they want to be starters that bad.

Andy and Mo, of course bring them back if they want to return. You can never have enough pitching! Soriano, I'd probably try to keep as long as it's $15 mil, but any more and forget it. I may like Mo, but you still need a successor. Robertson struggled a bit and wasn't 100%, I think he'll need another year to regain that form that made him a lights out set up guy for Rivera.

this years free agents for catchers isnt that good... theres only 3 real catchers out there the Yanks would even look at considering they DONT resign with there previous team or a new team..... Napoli ( but his issue is he might not be able to catch everyday anymore )

Pierzynski ( assuming he doesnt resign with the White Sox ) and McCann ( But his shoulder injury makes him questionable for starting next season )

sticking with Russell Martin wouldnt be a bad situation really

Well, if it's just 1year, then ok. I think the yankees will probably try to go under the $186 mil? mark to 'reset' the luxury tax penalty. Now that they picked up Granderson's option, it really depends on how much Cano is going to want and based on how poorly he did in the playoffs, he's not worth ARod money at over $23-25 mil per year.

Well, if it's just 1year, then ok. I think the yankees will probably try to go under the $186 mil? mark to 'reset' the luxury tax penalty. Now that they picked up Granderson's option, it really depends on how much Cano is going to want and based on how poorly he did in the playoffs, he's not worth ARod money at over $23-25 mil per year.

hes NOT worth A-Rod Money.... lol even A-Rod isnt worth A-Rod money now.... but being realistic with it he will get a 18-21Mill a year contract....

look at Hamilton this year...he's asking for 175Mill... he's not the best defensively and his Bat when its Hot its HOT lol... when its cold he sucks and he has vision problems ( something about Day and Night games I dunno I forgot but one of them he really cant see the ball )

Next season if it comes down to Cano or Grandy.... I think Granderson is GONE.... theres NO 2nd baseman out there that can replace Cano's offensive and defensive output.....

hes NOT worth A-Rod Money.... lol even A-Rod isnt worth A-Rod money now.... but being realistic with it he will get a 18-21Mill a year contract....

look at Hamilton this year...he's asking for 175Mill... he's not the best defensively and his Bat when its Hot its HOT lol... when its cold he sucks and he has vision problems ( something about Day and Night games I dunno I forgot but one of them he really cant see the ball )

Next season if it comes down to Cano or Grandy.... I think Granderson is GONE.... theres NO 2nd baseman out there that can replace Cano's offensive and defensive output.....

Assuming he stays in Texas, Josh Hamilton should only get a 4 year $60-$75(That $20-$25 Million a season)with another $5 Million in Bonuses. With his personal issues(do a google search lol if you dont know what they are)he too much of a risk to get a long term Albert Pujols type mega contract.

Or if Hamilton must leave the Rangers, a place like Cincy, St Louis or Denver is only places he would be ok IMO. In a major market like NYC, Boston or Southern Calif.(LA)he would be back on drinking/drugs in an instant.

Of course I understand his personal issues.... But if he were to stay in Texas, he's going to take less money to do so... A 10yr deal like Pujols from The Angels isn't happening but like you said the 4 - 5 yr deal around 60 - 75 mill sounds right

He might weigh his options on that offer and see if there is a 100+ mill offer out there.... He might get one from a small market team... Only big market I see going after him would be Boston but why really

He won't solve too much problems there right away and that's what they are looking for...

If he signs with a small market... They too will eventually unload the back end of his contract somewhere down the line

Damn... Well the highest i'd go with Soriano is $14.5 mil with an option for a 2nd year, no higher.

Kuroda, probably the same, but imo, Kuroda is worth it. You can't replace his innings and great quality starts. Keep him at all costs!

Swisher: don't let the door hit you on the way out. He should NOT be kept for anything over $10 mil. He's always a post season bust, he's useless.

ARod (now that the Mets bought him out), should also be given that option. There's no way he'll be productive down the end and to buy him out would ideally free up money to keep Cano and stay under the 'goal' of that luxury tax limit.

congrats to Mike Trout and Bryce Harper... AL & NL ROY for 2012....

however if they give Trout the AL MVP over Cabrera Im gonna be pissed

Cabrera hands down deserves the MVP.... in other news

AL Cy Young its between Weaver.. Verlander (again).. and Price

im going with Price... what do yall think about that ?

congrats to Mike Trout and Bryce Harper... AL & NL ROY for 2012....

however if they give Trout the AL MVP over Cabrera Im gonna be pissed

Cabrera hands down deserves the MVP.... in other news

AL Cy Young its between Weaver.. Verlander (again).. and Price

im going with Price... what do yall think about that ?

This is example (I know you only been on the boards short time JFK)why MLB should have a separte offensive player of the year and MVP IMO. Silver Slugger awards dont really count IMO. If the NFL and NHL could have different awards for league MVP and also Offensive player of the year it why not MLB? In that case you could give OPOY to Cabrera and MVP to Trout. However keep in mind the Tigers made the world series, while the Angels just missed making the playoffs thus Cabrera should win both in that case.

This is example (I know you only been on the boards short time JFK)why MLB should have a separte offensive player of the year and MVP IMO. Silver Slugger awards dont really count IMO. If the NFL and NHL could have different awards for league MVP and also Offensive player of the year it why not MLB? In that case you could give OPOY to Cabrera and MVP to Trout. However keep in mind the Tigers made the world series, while the Angels just missed making the playoffs thus Cabrera should win both in that case.

LOL Silver Slugger just look nice on the back of baseball cards

I dont knock Trout for anything... he's a hell of a player and he had a excellent rookie season

(and I do believe there have been MVP's that haven't made the postseason...Im gonna look into it tho)

if anything I knock the Yanks for passing on Trout in the Draft but thats a another topic for a later date

the numbers Cabrera put up this season don't lie... he deserves it hands down... they should have a triple crown trophy IMO as well as MVP... then they could both win

Wow, Marlins are blowing up the team. first Bell, now they trade Reyes to Toronto. Who's next to leave?

Not Just Reyes. The USA Today using unnamed sources to AP state Josh Johnson and Mark Buehrle are also going to Canada. The Jays are sending SS Yunel Escobar, P Henderson Alvarez and '4' other younger players on the major and minor league club.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/marlins/2012/11/13/blue-jays-marlins-trade-jose-reyes-josh-johnson-mark-buehrle/1703283/

Also in now back story of Hot Stove Baseball, Davey Johnson of Nats and Bob Melvin were your 2012 Managers of the Year.

Archived