MLB Hot Stove and Off Season News Thread 2012-'13

Shortline Bus

I don't know if Bob Melvin won because he won the division over the Rangers but in my opinion, Buck Showalter deserves it much more. The Baltimore Orioles were destined for last place and they went to the postseason and advanced to the LDS. Even if they lost to the Yankees, I would have given the MOY of the AL to Showalter. Nobody predicted that the Orioles would play the way they did. Not taking anything away from Melvin, those guys were nearly eliminated at the last series and they overcome all that to sweep the Rangers.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Marlins / Blue Jay's trade definitely changed the outlook of the AL East... 12 players total involved in the trade

in other news Torii Hunter signed with the Detroit Tigers.... with V Mart coming back and Prince fresh off his 1st full AL season

the Detroit Tigers lineup is looking scary if you put Hunter in the 2 hole and V Mart in front of Prince.... tough lineup to pitch to

That Marlins / Blue Jay's trade definitely changed the outlook of the AL East... 12 players total involved in the trade

in other news Torii Hunter signed with the Detroit Tigers.... with V Mart coming back and Prince fresh off his 1st full AL season

the Detroit Tigers lineup is looking scary if you put Hunter in the 2 hole and V Mart in front of Prince.... tough lineup to pitch to

Question is would Reyes like playing on turf at Skydome/Rogers Center? Plus also being in the AL as well.

I laughed when I heard about that trade last night... Marlins gambled & lost, and now they had to unload those players that they overpaid for...

As for Toronto, don't think for a second that they're now instant contenders in the AL thanks to this..... I can tell you now that Reyes is gonna hate playing up in canada, where the weather will not be to his liking.....

I hope the astroturf doesn't damage his legs. I just don't see him staying in Toronto for long. I won't be surprised he gets flipped to another place either soon or by the trade deadline.

The only way the Jays will ever be contenders is if they moved to the NL East. AL East is too competitive with the Yankees, O's and Rays. toronto is lucky to stay in 4th most of these past seasons.

RA Dickey wins the NL Cy Young. Good for him! I think it should've been an outrage if he didn't win.

+1

He's been keeping the Mets relevant/talked about the past 2 years.....

While David Price of the Rays wins the AL Cy Young.

Speaking of outrage, I was awaiting the outrage if Verlander would have won it....

My guess was that Weaver would have won it, but that was before I knew that Price was a 20 game winner (didn't know he actually reached 20)....

I laughed when I heard about that trade last night... Marlins gambled & lost, and now they had to unload those players that they overpaid for...

As for Toronto, don't think for a second that they're now instant contenders in the AL thanks to this..... I can tell you now that Reyes is gonna hate playing up in canada, where the weather will not be to his liking.....

Reyes was stupid of taking a contract without a no trade clause, I had a feeling he was going to get traded. Especially since Loria is known for being cheap.

Looks like Selig is ticked off at Marlins Owner Lauria for the Reyes/Johnson/Buehrle trade to Toronto.

It seems Selig may now take steps to force Lauria to sell the team. IMO how in hell did Lauria even was allowed to get another team after destorying the Expos? Marlins only won the world series in 2003, in spite of Lauria who just brought the team then.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2012/11/15/bud-selig-wont-let-marlins-owner-off-easy/1707971/

$8 mil per or $16 mil for 2 yrs? Are they nuts? The guy was caught cheating and was doing well in the NL West. I see him regressing in the tougher AL East and the fact the target is on him if he tries to cheat again. Dumb move imo. Oh well he'll still have to miss the 1st 5 games since he was left off the playoff roster.

Actually, he's cleared to play now

I could be wrong but next time Melky is caught with a positive ped's test, he in sense (If i remember right)will get a lifetime ban. Meaning he would not be permitted to return without the approval of Selig's office.

Still I agree with Concourse. Why in hell are the Blue Jays way overpaid for IMO "damaged goods" in Melky? Granted this off season free agent group of OF/DH types is weakest in years, but still a dumb move by Toronto.

Shifting gears. Add another team that going 'retro' in their uniforms/team colors. The St Louis Cardinals are adding a new 3rd uniform starting in 2013 for home weekend/holiday games (i.e July 4th). This is similar to what the lengedary "Gas House Gang" era teams of the 1930's wore.

http://sports.yahoo....21537--mlb.html

590x428xCardinals-New-2013-Alternate-Jersey-590x428.jpg.pagespeed.ic.4EucwakRCM.jpg

I could be wrong but next time Melky is caught with a positive ped's test, he in sense (If i remember right)will get a lifetime ban. Meaning he would not be permitted to return without the approval of Selig's office.

Still I agree with Concourse. Why in hell are the Blue Jays way overpaid for IMO "damaged goods" in Melky? Granted this off season free agent group of OF/DH types is weakest in years, but still a dumb move by Toronto.

To me, the Jays are just desperate to add some star power to compete with the other AL East teams. When they bolster their pitching staff, then we'll talk contention for Toronto.

Isn't it 50, then 100, then permanent? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Archived