MLB Hot Stove and Off Season News Thread 2012-'13

Shortline Bus

Love those retro unis the Astros are going to use next year. Ditto Cardinals even if it's an alternate jersey. Still waiting on Milwaukee to officially make the 80's unis their permanent home/road jerseys. I don't like their current ones.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Love those retro unis the Astros are going to use next year.

Eh. They're kinda... bland. I think they should have gone back to the shooting star uniforms. Those look really great.

Ditto Cardinals even if it's an alternate jersey.

This I can agree with. It's really too bad it's just a Saturday jersey -- this coming from a fan of a team that will probably never introduce an alternate.

Yankees reportedly signed Kuroda to a 1yr $15 mil deal. Good, he's been their best starter this year and is a big insurance as I still dunno what to expect with Hughes and Nova. Andy is still on the fence, so fingers crossed on him wanting to return.

Other big news involving the Bronx Bombers is way off the field in the Fournate 500 world. Rupert Mudrock's News Corp's/Fox TV Empire has brought 1/2 ownership(49%) of the YES Network. Thus leading to some guessing if they want to buy a NYC area regional sports channel. A Few Years back, MSG and Fox Sports Net ended an agreement in which FSN owned a small piece of the Cablevision empire including the former Fox Sports Net NY now MSG Plus.

http://www.usatoday....etwork/1717201/

Could Rupert Mudrock a close friend of Bud Selig want to return to MLB Ownership with arguably the most sought after pro sports club on the planet? Mudrock owned the Dodgers for almost a decade until he sold to Frank McCourt.

" Giancarlo Stanton is a 23-year-old outfielder under the Miami Marlins' control until 2017 and can easily put up 40 home runs and 100 RBI while hitting .290. Could the New York Yankees pull off a trade to land Stanton in the Bronx ?

With both Nick Swisher and Ichiro Suzuki as free agents, the Yankees have a vacancy in right field for next season. If you ask me, putting Stanton in right field for the Yankees makes a lot of sense, both financially and talent-wise. Over the last six months, the Marlins have gotten rid of Hanley Ramirez, Anibal Sanchez, Omar Infante, Heath Bell, Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle and Jose Reyes; plus they fired manager Ozzie Guillen after just one season. It's safe to say the Marlins will not be competing anytime soon for the postseason. If I am Yankees GM Brian Cashman, this is my trade proposal to offer to Marlins GM Michael Hill in hopes to land Stanton."

From the Bleacher Report... how do you guys feel about that if it happened

" Giancarlo Stanton is a 23-year-old outfielder under the Miami Marlins' control until 2017 and can easily put up 40 home runs and 100 RBI while hitting .290. Could the New York Yankees pull off a trade to land Stanton in the Bronx ?

With both Nick Swisher and Ichiro Suzuki as free agents, the Yankees have a vacancy in right field for next season. If you ask me, putting Stanton in right field for the Yankees makes a lot of sense, both financially and talent-wise. Over the last six months, the Marlins have gotten rid of Hanley Ramirez, Anibal Sanchez, Omar Infante, Heath Bell, Josh Johnson, Mark Buehrle and Jose Reyes; plus they fired manager Ozzie Guillen after just one season. It's safe to say the Marlins will not be competing anytime soon for the postseason. If I am Yankees GM Brian Cashman, this is my trade proposal to offer to Marlins GM Michael Hill in hopes to land Stanton."

From the Bleacher Report... how do you guys feel about that if it happened

As a Yankees fan myself JFK, it a no brainer. Plus Stanton is a very good match of a younger under age 30 player ,who already a poential all star outfielder. However being fair from leaguewide point of view IMO, Bud Selig has to put a stop to the firesale from Miami and not allow Stanton to be traded for now. In 1975, then MLB Commish stopped a firesale trade after then A's Owner Charlie Finley traded off his early 1970's A's Championship clubs.

Selig is a joke and will allow Stanton to be traded. In 2013 Marlins Stadium will be a ghost town.

If Selig is a joke, who should succeed him as commissioner? David Stern? Gary Bettman lol

Selig is a former owner (brewers) and it's conflict of intrest to be commish and a former boss of a MLB club. Granted the commishes are 'puppets" to the owners though. Selig is a really a front man for the MLB bosses and only makes actions when needed.

FYI. In final days before mergering into NFL, Raiders Founding Owners Al Davis and Chiefs Founding Owner Lamar Hunt were co-commish of the olf American football league in it last couple of years. So it not uncommon for owners to run a league.

That why i say Selig is a joke because after the mega trade headed by Reyes to Toronto he should not allow Stanton their only star left to be dealt either.

Today the pionnering former MLBPA head Marvin Miller has died. Lets say without him people from AROD to even in other sports Ronaldo, Lebron and Kobe would not be getting tens of millions in contracts.

http://www.usatoday....ies-95/1729231/

IMO it's a joke that Miller is not in the MLB Hall of Fame IMO. Ditto for the controversial late Oakland A's Owner Charles Finley who Reggie Jackson/Rollie Fingers-led teams won (3) straight world series between 1972-'74.

Those two played a huge role in growing MLB popularity between the late 1960's and late '70's. Thus why today in late 2012, MLB just signed a new multi billion dollar tv contract extension.

How nice... Carlos Ruiz now has his own category then.

He's been banned for 25 games to start the season next year, for testing positive for an amphetamine.....

And that a huge reason baseball analysts and those involved with the mlb (few publicly many off the record) on why since around 2008, the HR's/Batting Avgs. have gone down back to the early 1970's era.

Its assumed before the steriods era back in full in early 1990's amphetamine was the drug of choice to get through a long 162 game season. While of course not steriods, it gave "highs" to keep players engeries high for decades.

The voting for the Hall of Fame begins. First timers include Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, Raphael Palmiero, Roger Clemens, Mike Piazza, Craig Biggio and Curt Schilling

One thing is certain. When the results are released in early January for HOF class of 2013, it will be the most discussed and covered Hall of Fame selection maybe in sports history. It going to be a huge media story beyond ESPN and will be covered by CNN, Fox News, ABC, CBS and NBC News as well.

The voting for the Hall of Fame begins. First timers include Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, Raphael Palmiero, Roger Clemens, Mike Piazza, Craig Biggio and Curt Schilling

I said to a colleague today that however many players get into this HoF class is gonna seriously define the state of baseball from there on in... What I mean is that, you're gonna get people saying things like "If Clemens, Palmeiro, and Sosa (for example) get into the hall, then it's going to give off the impression that you can juice your way to the top & still be given the highest accolade an athlete can be given"..... Total hypocrisy at its finest.....

Shame too, I mean there's no way to determine which years they started juicing and which is legit. I would guess their non juiced years could get them in ..probably. I still say that as stupid as Pete Rose was for betting, I do believe he should've been allowed in the HOF based on his record, which I am going to give the benefit of the doubt (being clean).

Yankees news: Kuroda, Pettitte, Rivera are all coming back, so the pitching side is set just as I hoped it would. Martin is going to the Pirates for 2 yrs (good). So at least right now, things are going great. I just hope Swisher leaves too.

Shame too, I mean there's no way to determine which years they started juicing and which is legit. I would guess their non juiced years could get them in ..probably. I still say that as stupid as Pete Rose was for betting, I do believe he should've been allowed in the HOF based on his record, which I am going to give the benefit of the doubt (being clean).

Yankees news: Kuroda, Pettitte, Rivera are all coming back, so the pitching side is set just as I hoped it would. Martin is going to the Pirates for 2 yrs (good). So at least right now, things are going great. I just hope Swisher leaves too.

Plus on Mike Francesa show (I think Wed. afternoon 11/28/12)he suggested a probable scenrio in which a player that assumed is clean i.e The Astros Baggio and Bagwell gets in and later both admit ped use. Thus this steriod era has stained MLB forever.

Some good news from the Mets!

http://newyork.mets....ws_nym&c_id=nym

Mets, Wright make a deal to run through 2020

Face of the franchise agrees to seven-year extension worth $122 million

By Anthony DiComo / MLB.com | 11/30/12 10:43 AM ET

NEW YORK -- David Wright has agreed to a seven-year contract extension that could make him a Met for life.

Wright and the Mets came to terms early Friday morning on a seven-year, $122 million extension to keep the six-time All-Star and face of the franchise in New York, according to multiple baseball sources. The Mets have not made an announcement regarding the agreement and do not expect to do so until early next week.

The Mets will tack on Wright's extension to the $16 million he is already owed for 2013, bringing the total value of the deal to $138 million, the most lucrative contract in club history. Johan Santana held the previous record of total value with the six-year, $137.5 million contract he signed in 2008.

"I just think it's a great statement for everybody to have this guy wrapped up," manager Terry Collins said via telephone Friday morning. "I knew David wanted to stay. I knew that certainly the organization wanted to keep him and I thought there would be a common ground."

After a sudden flurry of action this week followed months of relative inactivity in negotiations, Wright and the Mets struck a deal a few hours after club officials attended a benefit dinner in New Jersey for a team employee fighting breast cancer. The Mets cannot make the deal official yet because Wright is traveling to Florida this weekend to attend teammate Daniel Murphy's wedding and will not be available to take a physical exam until early next week.

But the only timing that matters to the Mets now is that Wright is under contract through at least 2020. A lifetime Mets fan who grew up watching the team's Triple-A affiliate play near his hometown in Norfolk, Va., Wright has long stated that he wanted to finish his career with the only professional organization he has known.

"One of the things about him, he knows where he's happy," Collins said. "He knows what he means to the organization. Because of that, he was willing to certainly step forward and work hard to want to stay here."

Collins strongly intimated that he will ask Wright to become the team's first official captain since John Franco in 2004.

"Certainly that's going to be a discussion that I'm going to want to have with David," the manager said. "He's the face of this organization and he may not say a lot, but he leads so much by example, so much by the way he leads and carries himself. Certainly, I think I've got to have that discussion with him."

The 38th overall selection in the 2001 First-Year Player Draft, Wright made his Major League debut in 2004. He is the all-time franchise leader in hits, doubles, walks, strikeouts, RBI and runs scored, and should eventually stand atop the leaderboards in games played and home runs. He hit .306 with 21 homers and 93 RBIs in 156 games for New York in 2012, also narrowly missing out on a Gold Glove with a renaissance defensive season.

"I think it's great for everybody," Collins said. "I think it's great for David, great for the organization, certainly our Mets fans. Now we can hopefully move on."

Moving on means attempting to strike another deal, that being one with pitcher R.A. Dickey, who is also negotiating a contract extension. Dickey said this week that he and the Mets have exchanged offers, and that his camp was waiting to hear back from the team.

"I'm hoping," Collins said. "I know that certainly [general manager] Sandy [Alderson] has an idea and a plan ... and I know R.A. has said many times that he wants to stay a Met. I think signing David shows that we're trying to do the right things to be successful, and I think that will mean a lot to R.A."

Anthony DiComo is a reporter for MLB.com. Follow him on Twitter @AnthonyDicomo. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Yeah Martin leaving is good but you have no proven catcher

- Didn't hear about Martin leaving.... Who's gonna be their full time catcher now?

- I'm the only person I know of so far that doesn't agree with the Wright contract..... My argument is simple.

I'm not questioning the money & duration; I'm questioning the timing..... This is money David Wright should've been getting.

Archived