MLB Hot Stove and Off Season News Thread 2012-'13

Shortline Bus

- Didn't hear about Martin leaving.... Who's gonna be their full time catcher now?

- I'm the only person I know of so far that doesn't agree with the Wright contract..... My argument is simple.

I'm not questioning the money & duration; I'm questioning the timing..... This is money David Wright should've been getting.

Actually i do question the Wright mega contract. David Wright is not a franchise player. He a very good all star 3rd baseman. On a championship/ws contender he is a great #2 offensive player. It's one thing to give him a long term contract i.e 5-6years max. It's another to give him a AROD/Pujolis type contract that could be a string around the team's neck at the end of it.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah Martin leaving is good but you have no proven catcher

Yeah this is all that's left and those guys aren't good.

http://transactions.mlbtraderumors.com/widget/free-agent-signings&link=true&widget=true&YEAR=2012&freeAgent_position_Type_ID=1&freeAgent_signingStatus=UN

I would have thought of Brian McCann but I don't think ATL is going to let him get away, even with a bum shoulder.

Actually i do question the Wright mega contract. David Wright is not a franchise player. He a very good all star 3rd baseball. On a championship he a great #2 offensive player. It's one thing to give him a long term contract i.e 5-6years max. It's another to give him a AROD/Pujolis type contract that could be a string around the team's neck at the end of it.

Well that makes two of us that questions it then.

Before the fact, everyone I read/heard commenting on the contract were waxing poetic (or otherwise agreeing) with him getting that kind of money at present date......

David Wright WAS a franchise player; which is why I say he should've been gettin that money.....

The man is still an above avg. 3rd baseman, but yeah, not someone I would give that amt. of money now to......

Yeah this is all that's left and those guys aren't good.

http://transactions.mlbtraderumors.com/widget/free-agent-signings&link=true&widget=true&YEAR=2012&freeAgent_position_Type_ID=1&freeAgent_signingStatus=UN

I would have thought of Brian McCann but I don't think ATL is going to let him get away, even with a bum shoulder.

What about Mike Napoli?

Mike Napoli isn't a starting catcher. He's a part time player at best. He can catch probably 70 games but he's more of a 1B/DH guy. There's a reason why the Rangers picked up Geovanny Soto and he can't hit, let alone isn't a good defender behind the plate.

That's not gonna happen sadly. The money on his contract is guaranteed. Unless he retires of course

This was the last major free agent signing by George. The late Yankees "Boss" resigned AROD because 1)profits from breaking the Bonds(imo *cough cough* Aaron)carrer HR record 2)Not wanting the then rival Powerhouse Rival Red Sox sign him. And we all know what happened.

Unless it a NBA superstar i.e Kobe, Lebron, Duncan and going old school Dr, J, Kareem, or Jerry West, I would never as a team owner or exec, sign a 8-plus years contracts to any player. Meaning the '3' major sports i.e MLB, NFL or NHL.

Even to great young prospects like Bryce Harper or Mike Trout, the most I would committ to is say 6-7 years. Period.

Actually, I think it was Hank's main and only major signing before Hal took over the 'day to day' operations.

Speculations have the Yankees interested in Youklis. I would not mind this at all. I think he'd be decent and can fill the void by ARod for the time being. And no it won't be sacreligious to sign him as Damon came here, so that stigma of any 2004 Boston players coming here doesn't apply. Lol, plus at least then Joba can't throw at him, so all the better.

Actually, I think it was Hank's main and only major signing before Hal took over the 'day to day' operations.

Speculations have the Yankees interested in Youklis. I would not mind this at all. I think he'd be decent and can fill the void by ARod for the time being. And no it won't be sacreligious to sign him as Damon came here, so that stigma of any 2004 Boston players coming here doesn't apply. Lol, plus at least then Joba can't throw at him, so all the better.

Concourse you probably right. By the off season after the '07 year, George was already sick and had just given "day-day" opreations to Hal, Hank and Cashman. I meant to say the "sign and trade" aka the bidding war with the Red Sox prior to 2004 was the last major player pickup George did as Boss.

Eric Chavez is now a Diamondbacks player:

http://arizona.diamondbacks.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121205&content_id=40539762&vkey=news_ari&c_id=ari

Also the Yankees offer a 1-year 12 million dollar contract to Youkillis:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20121206&content_id=40553266&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Interesting move by the Yanks to say the least but they will need to fill the void at third base...

Some moves this offseason:

- Mariners sign LF Jason Bay.

- Rays sign 1B James Loney and acquire SS Yunel Escobar.

- Red Sox sign OF Shane Victorino, RHP Koji Uehara, and C Mike Napoli.

- Nationals sign RHP Dan Haren.

- Diamondbacks sign RHP Brandon McCarthy, 1B/OF Eric Hinske and C Wil Nieves.

- Angels sign RHP Joe Blanton.

- Astros claim RHP Phil Humber, who pitched a perfect game with the White Sox.

- White Sox sign IF Jeff Keppinger.

Some moves this offseason:

- Mariners sign LF Jason Bay.

- Rays sign 1B James Loney and acquire SS Yunel Escobar.

- Red Sox sign OF Shane Victorino, RHP Koji Uehara, and C Mike Napoli.

- Nationals sign RHP Dan Haren.

- Diamondbacks sign RHP Brandon McCarthy, 1B/OF Eric Hinske and C Wil Nieves.

- Angels sign RHP Joe Blanton.

- Astros claim RHP Phil Humber, who pitched a perfect game with the White Sox.

- White Sox sign IF Jeff Keppinger.

Good move by Astros. At least Humber can be the mentor and #1 ace for that team that starting over been the worst in MLB for last 5-6 years.

While no blockbuster trades or free agent pickups occured last week in Nashville at the 2012-'13 winter meetings, one of the top pitchers in this off season's free agent class maybe off the market in a minute. The $2 Billion Dollar Magic Johnson led Dodgers are about to sign Zack Greinke away from their cross region rivals the Angels.

http://www.latimes.c...0,1393543.story

While no blockbuster trades or free agent pickups occured last week in Nashville at the 2012-'13 winter meetings, one of the top pitchers in this off season's free agent class maybe off the market in a minute. The $2 Billion Dollar Magic Johnson led Dodgers are about to sign Zack Greinke away from their cross region rivals the Angels.

http://www.latimes.c...0,1393543.story

While the Dodgers and Greinke are about to hook up, the Royals in dire need for a #1 'young veteran' starter get with James Shields. Shields the #2 starter to 2012 Cy Young Winner Mr. Price has been shipped to KC for the Royals #1 minor league prospect Wil Meyers.

IMO this is a very good move by KC as Shields could be that help and mentor that AJ Burnett was last year for the improving Pirates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6UD1rY_DLU

So the Royals got James Shields and Wade Davis eh? At least they're improving. Now I have to see if they're going to be good enough. Ervin Santana, Wade Davis and Jeremy Guthrie are back end guys. Wonder if Danny Duffy will be healthy after Tommy John, that kid has a special arm.

Yup. A former member of the Yankees enemy Red Sox Nation joins the team. And thus the Yankees continues to field a team closer to AARP membership than winning the world series lol.

Hahaha! lol... That's what I've been saying too... The Yankees in my opinion needs more younger players... The teams average age is up there...

So they decide to go with Youkilis rather than to look in their own AAA team for a third basemen... That's just like the Yankees... I don't know how I feel about youkilis coming to the Yankees... Let's see how he'll do here...

Archived