MLB Hot Stove and Off Season News Thread 2012-'13

Shortline Bus

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do they even have a third baseman in their farm system?

They should... But very good question... I don't see why they wouldn't have a third baseman...

Basically, I'm trying to say that the Yanks have lots of young players in their farm system that can potentially fill voids like this without having to "shop" for other players...

Do they even have a third baseman in their farm system?

There's this kid named David Adams, he's still a prospect and just moved to third base. He hasn't had any at bats above AA so he isn't ready for The Show just yet.

There's this other guy, cuban player named Ronnier Mustelier who can play the outfield and fake 3B, but he isn't a prospect. I forgot how old he is but he's more of a AAAA guy. Hits in AAA but can't hack it at the majors. He hasn't played at the big leagues yet but his peripherals tell you he wouldn't be good at the high level.

There's also Nuñez but we all know about him.

They should... But very good question... I don't see why they wouldn't have a third baseman...

Basically, I'm trying to say that the Yanks have lots of young players in their farm system that can potentially fill voids like this without having to "shop" for other players...

The thing is that most of the players in the minor leagues are just minor league veterans, prospects, and organizational fillers. What I mean by fillers are young players who aren't good enough to be in the majors but are useful to the minor league team in any way or form. Yankee top prospects are outfielders, David Adams who I mention above was a second baseman who switched to third because there is a need for third. I forgot to mention Corban Joseph as a prospect but he isn't good defensively out there and I'm not sure if he'll hit in the majors.

Breaking News. The Angels have done it again. Last winter it was Albert Pujols. This year the top offensive free agent Josh Hamilton has signed with the Halos. Looks like Angels Owner Arte Moreno now fierce rivals with Magic Johnson's cross region rival Dodgers and Hamilton now former team Texas Rangers has sent a strong message to both teams and all of MLB. Question is can Hamilton a recovering drug and drinking addict survive in the LA/Hollywood lifestyle?

joshweb14s-2-web.jpg

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1219581

Breaking News. The Angels have done it again. Last winter it was Albert Pujols. This year the top offensive free agent Josh Hamilton has signed with the Halos. Looks like Angels Owner Arte Moreno now fierce rivals with Magic Johnson's cross region rival Dodgers and Hamilton now former team Texas Rangers has sent a strong message to both teams and all of MLB. Question is can Hamilton a recovering drug and drinking addict survive in the LA/Hollywood lifestyle?

All this really means is...

18 guaranteed Astros losses.

Why am I not surprised the Blue Jays are knocking on the door for Dickey? Looks like the Jays are trying to stock up on pitchers the way the Angels are on hitters.

I think if I heard it correctly, Ichiro and the Yankees come to terms on a 2 yr deal at $12-13mil. Basically if he gets his typical 200+ hits a season, he might get his 3000th hit as a Yankee.

Why am I not surprised the Blue Jays are knocking on the door for Dickey? Looks like the Jays are trying to stock up on pitchers the way the Angels are on hitters.

I think if I heard it correctly, Ichiro and the Yankees come to terms on a 2 yr deal at $12-13mil. Basically if he gets his typical 200+ hits a season, he might get his 3000th hit as a Yankee.

They actually gave Ichiro 2 yrs... Wasn't expecting that at all... Then again, it's not like the Yankees had much of a choice....

As for Dickey, I'm not surprised that the Jays are going after him... Everyone talks about how the yanks go after the big bats, but the Jays year in year out be right behind them with that.... I always view them as the perennial .500 team b/c it seems like over the years that's where they end up; and it's largely due to (overrated) SP....

At least we'll get to beat up on Dickey if he comes to the AL east if he ends up there....

Offensively, I'm still not worried w/ all those players Toronto ended up obtaining.....

Yeah, I think other teams were offering sweeter deals and the Yankees had to match them in terms of years. Plus, with ARod being tainted, his race to 700+ homers isn't going to have the same impact anymore. 3000 hits is a very nice milestone no matter who hits it. Having one potentially a few years after Jeter's is pretty damn awesome.

I think Dickey thrived because he was in the NL, but the Yankees were able to get to him, so he's not invincible. I don't see him imploding, but I don't see him having the same Cy Young type season being in the AL East.

As for Dickey, it wouldn't be a good idea for him to pitch in the AL East. Flyball pitchers like Phil Hughes allow lots of homers and a knuckleball pitcher is a flyball pitcher despite Dickey striking guys out. Places like Rogers Centre, Yankee Stadium, Fenway, Oriole Park at Camden Yards, & Tropicana Field are all hitters parks and they're shorter compared to the Citi Fields, Marlin Ballparks, & Turner Fields.

Blue Jays Nearing Deal For R.A. Dickey

By Mike Axisa [December 15, 2012 at 2:06pm CST]

After a long day of rumors on Friday, the Blue Jays and Mets are nearing a trade that would send R.A. Dickey to Toronto for top prospect Travis d'Arnaud according to Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports. Other players involved in the deal are unconfirmed. Here's the latest on the potential trade...

• As of this morning, the deal had four players coming to the Mets and three to the Blue Jays, according to Mike Puma of the New York Post (Twitter links). Toronto also wants a catcher back in the deal, and that could be Josh Thole. The Mets have discussed getting pitching prospect Noah Syndergaard in the deal as well, Puma tweets.

• The two teams are inching towards the finish line, a source tells Passan (via Twitter). At least some players' medicals have been reviewed and a deal is imminent.

• Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com says the two sides have agreed that d'Arnaud can be the centerpiece of the trade after the Mets rejected a Gose/J.P. Arencibia package (all Twitterlinks). Once they finalize the rest of the players involved, it's believed Dickey will talk about an extension with Toronto.

Earlier Updates:

• Sherman reports (on Twitter) that Gose is not part of the trade talks for Dickey. The Blue Jays are building a package around d'Arnaud.

• Richard Griffin of The Toronto Star reports (on Twitter) that the Blue Jays need to sign Dickey to an extension and receive a top prospect from the Mets if they're going to include d'Arnaud and Gose in the trade.

• Joel Sherman of The New York Post says (on Twitter) the two sides are still working through matters are there is confidence the deal will get done.

• Dickey has not yet engaged the Blue Jays in contract extension talks, reports Adam Rubin of ESPN New York. He also has yet to be asked to take a physical.

• The Blue Jays are willing to include d'Arnaud and Anthony Gose in the trade according to Andy Martino of the New York Daily News (Twitter links). Any other names remain unconfirmed.

• Martino reports (on Twitter) that the Blue Jays have been reviewing Dickey's medicals since yesterday afternoon.

Read more at http://www.mlbtrader...87mi6x6qszaZ.99

Moves around the league:

- Twins have signed RHP Mike Pelfrey .

- Rakuten Eagles of Japan have signed OF Andruw Jones

- Troy Glaus, who last played in 2010, has contacted the Yankees about playing 3B.

- Phillies signed RHP Mike Adams and LHP John Lannan.

- Royals signed OF/1B Xavier Nady.

- Tigers signed RHP Anibal Sanchez.

- Cardinals signed IF Ty Wigginton.

- Braves signed IF/OF Ramiro Pena.

I'm not saying that R.A. Dickey won't pitch well in the AL East, he could do well (Tim Wakefield did) but with the knuckleball you never know if Dickey will keep pitching this way.

LOL at Troy Glaus & Cody Ransom contacting the Yankees......yeah I said it, Cody Ransom. Look how 2009 turned out for him.

Well, Dickey has agreed to the extention... Pending physical, He will be come the newest Jays player! (See my last post for link as it's the same story just updated...)

In the words of SB: Reactions? Would like to hear it especially from Mets fans...

I dunno, I think it's terrible they aren't showing him the respect he deserves, but this team is years away from being a playoff contender. Trading him while his stock is high is better. I also won't be surprised if they will try to shop Santana around to another team.

I agree... He in my opinion deserved more respect from the Mets... You know, I was thinking they're going to try that on Santana too...

Well, Dickey has agreed to the extention... Pending physical, He will be come the newest Jays player! (See my last post for link as it's the same story just updated...)

In the words of SB: Reactions? Would like to hear it especially from Mets fans...

I agree... He in my opinion deserved more respect from the Mets... You know, I was thinking they're going to try that on Santana too...

To me, the Mets were worried that Dickey would have a bad year the next year (since he is getting older).

I don't know why the Mets traded him away, should have been Santana instead. Dickey is the best pitcher on your staff and this is how they repay him? Although I don't think Dickey cares because he has financial security now with the Blue Jays. I really like knuckleball pitchers, they're one of a kind. Too bad Charlie Haeger's knuckleball is not good enough for the majors.

I don't know why the Mets traded him away, should have been Santana instead. Dickey is the best pitcher on your staff and this is how they repay him? Although I don't think Dickey cares because he has financial security now with the Blue Jays. I really like knuckleball pitchers, they're one of a kind. Too bad Charlie Haeger's knuckleball is not good enough for the majors.

I think Santana will be next but in middle of season (i.e July 31 trade deadline)if the Mets are out of the playoff race. Way it looks it could be the Mets and Marlins (now that the Astros are in AL)battling for last place in entire NL.

Archived