MLB Hot Stove and Off Season News Thread 2012-'13

Shortline Bus

I don't know why the Mets traded him away, should have been Santana instead. Dickey is the best pitcher on your staff and this is how they repay him? Although I don't think Dickey cares because he has financial security now with the Blue Jays. I really like knuckleball pitchers, they're one of a kind. Too bad Charlie Haeger's knuckleball is not good enough for the majors.

Question is can the team interested in Santana overlook his injury history and price? But yeah, I see Santana being shipped out as well. I'd be surprised he's still here by the end of the year unless he's a free agent (forgot when his contract expired).

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also in probably the last major signings before the X-Mas/New Years Holiday, Nick Swisher is going to Ohio and play for the Indians.

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1226193

Also leaving the Bronx is Raul Ibanez.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yanks-playoff-hero-ibanez-bolts-mariners-article-1.1226139

Former OF/IF Ryan Freel, who played 6 seasons with the Cincinnati Reds, committed suicide yesterday. I remember him mostly because he was on my Orlando team in All-Star Baseball 2003 :( :

http://mlb.mlb.com/n...ws_mlb&c_id=mlb

R.I.P. Ryan Freel

March 8, 1976

December 22, 2012

Former big leaguer Freel dead at 36

By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com | 12/23/12 12:20 AM ET7vpyQo2u.jpg

CINCINNATI -- Former Reds utility player Ryan Freel was found dead in his home of an apparent suicide on Saturday, the Jacksonville, Fla., sheriff's office told the Florida Times-Union.

Freel, 36, was discovered dead on Saturday in Jacksonville with what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound, police told the newspaper.

"The Reds family is deeply saddened to hear of the death of Ryan Freel," the team said in a statement. "His teammates and our fans loved him for how hard he played the game, and he loved giving back to the community. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends."

An eight-year Major League veteran from 2001-09, Freel spent the bulk of his career with the Reds from 2003-08 and rose to become an everyday player and fan favorite for his gritty play and hustle.

"He was a guy who was always all in, the way he tried very hard and hustled like he did," Freel's former agent, Tommy Tanzer, said. "He played all out and he lived that way too."

A .268 hitter with 143 stolen bases in 594 career games, Freel broke out of the utility role and became a regular in 2006 while playing 132 games, mostly in center field.

Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips tweeted a picture of Freel on Saturday with the words "Rest in Peace" written on it.

"Really hurt by his passing," Phillips wrote on his Twitter feed, datdudebp. "You never will be forgotten."

Injuries were often a byproduct of Freel's all-out style of play and he missed numerous games his last two seasons in Cincinnati. He was limited to 75 games in 2007 and only 48 games in 2008.

In December 2008, the Reds dealt Freel to the Orioles in a four-player trade that brought Ramon Hernandez to Cincinnati.

Freel bounced around multiple organizations, including the Cubs and Royals, before retiring during the 2010 season.

Since retirement, Freel was reportedly living and working in the Jacksonville area with an organization called Big League Development, coaching local players. Freel also participated in the Reds fantasy camp in 2011.

Sean Casey, a former teammate of Freel's in Cincinnati, tweeted about Freel's death on his Twitter feed, @TheMayorsOffice.

"RIP Ryan Freel!!," Casey wrote. "Great teammate, great guy, n loved his family! Such a sad day today with his passing! Awful news! Prayers are with his family! "

Been sleeping on this thread....

- Good, so they got rid of that whiny tree hugging SOB.... 14 million a year for 4 years plus an option for a 5th, man the Indians are some idiots.... Grossly overpaid for Swisher just like we overpaid for this a**hole Youkilis..... Hell, I guess the Indians aint gotta worry about Swisher's numbers in the postseason - because they aint gettin there anyway !!

- Didn't think Ibanez would stay for another year (and reciprocate that same "magic" so to speak, like the end of this past season), so I don't feel too strongly either way about him leaving.....

- Damn, I didn't think Freel was that old.... Homeboy committed suicide, tough break man....

I aint no sociology or psych. major, but there just has to be something to these suicides & murder-suicides you're hearing about out of these men all of a sudden.....

Freel was one of those utility players who played real hard, I mean crashing into walls, diving for fly balls. I believe he also got a concussion, don't know what year it was so I don't know if those effects led him to suicide. He can rest in peace.

Isn't he about the same age as Ichiro? Oh well, I'd have figured he'd have gone back to Japan and retire. But yeah, I do expect him to get some cheers when he comes back for old timers day.

Old news, but been reading some weeks old ppls about ideas to trade granderson and the cano issue looming as he'd want $25 mil + which can hamper the plans to stay under $189 mil. I think it looks more like cano is gonna be gone after the contract is up.

Remember that there are more people gone after '13. Mo, Pettitte, Youkilis, Kuroda, Hughes, Granderson, Cano, Joba?? By the time the season is over, they'll be way under $189M. Only depends who they sign.

Another note, Yankees sign Matt Diaz (pronounced Dye-as) to a 1 year minor league deal with an invitation to ML Spring Training.

I dunno, I kinda doubt they'd let Hughes and Joba leave unless they are asking for too much. I think realistically they are $6-7 mil tops, assuming both have a good year.

Speaking of pitchers, where is r. Soriano? Haven't heard a thing about him since he became a free agent. And how many draft picks do we get for him if he signs elsewhere?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't care what anyone says, if I had a vote I would vote for Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens. Those two guys are all time great players during their time and no one pays attention to what Roger did in Boston nor what Barry did in Pittsburgh. I would also put Mike Piazza and Craig Biggio in as well. Piazza is the all time HR leader for a catcher and Biggio who only played for Houston, has over 3,000 hits. Wouldn't vote Jack Morris nor Curt Schilling, not even if their postseason numbers are great. I don't think Tim Raines, Don Mattingly, Jeff Kent are HOF worthy, they belong in the HOF of very good players but not with the all time greats. Unsure about Fred McGriff since he's near 500 HR.

On this likely controversial day in the history of baseball, I will offer this thought:

Baseball brought the steroid epidemic on itself by doing nothing to stop it when it was in its nascent stages. If baseball had dealt with the issue head on years ago, there would be no steroid problem. We cannot blacklist players who were a part of a culture that was encouraged.

For the record, my picks for the hall this year Barry Bonds, Mike Piazza, Curt Schilling, Larry Walker, Roger Clemens, and Edgar Martinez.

It's hard to split the period Bonds and the others started using enhancement drugs. But if they didn't use them, they probably had HOF type numbers, but were juicing to break certain records or get an edge as well as prolonging their careers. I still say if they allow cheaters in, then they should allow Pete Rose in on the basis he more or less got his 4000+ hits on his own, but was stupid to gamble. If Bonds and such are allowed, then they should be branded with an *.

It's hard to split the period Bonds and the others started using enhancement drugs. But if they didn't use them, they probably had HOF type numbers, but were juicing to break certain records or get an edge as well as prolonging their careers. I still say if they allow cheaters in, then they should allow Pete Rose in on the basis he more or less got his 4000+ hits on his own, but was stupid to gamble. If Bonds and such are allowed, then they should be branded with an *.

Concourse i agree with almost everything you posted except for this. Bonds and Clemens were already 1st ballot HOF's before they went to using ped's. The PED's extended their careers by 5-6 years where in case of Bonds he went ahead of Aaron as the all time MLB HR careers leader.

Other than that i agree 100% of an * for almost everyone in the Steriod era and also allowing Pete Rose into the HOF.

With that said, those like Sosa and McGuire should never get in as the "juice" is only reason they made it this far for consideration.

Archived