Bee-Line Hybrid Question

Does anyone know the story behind Bee-Line only taking delivery of 4 Orion VII Hybrids???

Just a guess, might have to do with training people to work on them/fix them, or might be dipping toe into the water before plunging in... Just a guess, as i've seen rail carriers do this.

- Andy

Just a guess, might have to do with training people to work on them/fix them, or might be dipping toe into the water before plunging in... Just a guess, as i've seen rail carriers do this.

- Andy

Maybe they have enough orion V's to cover service so they don't need anymore hybrids.

But they just put out a bid for new hybrid Low Floors to Orion, Gillig, and New Flyer. They also have 40 Orion V's on order.

Bee Line just got those so they can see for themselves hybrid buses, see if they like them and if they could work with them.

The bid they just recently put out, NFI IS the most qualified. I think Orion was disqualified but they're trying to rebid. Gillig has a chance, but looking at the specs, NFI could have that order on lock, but we're still waiting to who it gets awarded to.

Bee Line just got those so they can see for themselves hybrid buses, see if they like them and if they could work with them.

The bid they just recently put out, NFI IS the most qualified. I think Orion was disqualified but they're trying to rebid. Gillig has a chance, but looking at the specs, NFI could have that order on lock, but we're still waiting to who it gets awarded to.

It's just wierd to me. If they do award to order to someone other than Orion, they should sell the O7 hybrids because no one else uses the BAE system, and it will cost them dearly in the long run!

That's exactly why they got them. Our County executive said they were testing them, to see if they would work properly in Westchester's environment, before buying them in bulk.....

It's just wierd to me. If they do award to order to someone other than Orion, they should sell the O7 hybrids because no one else uses the BAE system, and it will cost them dearly in the long run!

Why? Part for that system will be made for the next 10 years, regardless. Doesn't NYCTA use that system? They ain't replacing their older hybrids no time soon....Part will still be made for those buses, and their systems, for a good long time.....That's the way it works with trucks and buses......

That's exactly why they got them. Our County executive said they were testing them, to see if they would work properly in Westchester's environment, before buying them in bulk.....

Why? Part for that system will be made for the next 10 years, regardless. Doesn't NYCTA use that system? They ain't replacing their older hybrids no time soon....Part will still be made for those buses, and their systems, for a good long time.....That's the way it works with trucks and buses......

They use BAE, but I think its a different form (an older version) and most likely, it will be Orion who will get the bid, then again New Flyer is a good company. We'll know hopefully by the end of this year.

They use BAE, but I think its a different form (an older version) and most likely, it will be Orion who will get the bid, then again New Flyer is a good company. We'll know hopefully by the end of this year.

Systems can always be replaced, if it does become difficult or expensive to get parts. Same thing they did when they re-powered those old Orion V's and the pork-chop windowed RTS's......

bios_family_homer.gif(MMMmmmm Pork chops)........

Bee-Line Orion VIIs got the same BAE has our 3500 series Hybrids.

Wait don't they have 5 Hybrids?

I knew it. They have 201, 202, 203, and 204.......I rode one of them, and it rides like Bee-line buses ride. Smoothly......

Yeah of course parts will be made for the system for some time to come, but the BAE system costs a little more to maintain than the GM-Allison, which is offered on all other bus platforms. The new hybrid system for the Orion VII NG will be revised a little, but it will be almost the same except for the batteries. The reason why I say it would cost a liitle more if they only keep the 4 hybrids is because parts for MTA are cheaper because there are like 824 hybrids, and a total of 1,010 Orion VII's. So effectively, what it costs MTA to maintain 6 hybrids is what it will cost Bee-Line to maintain 4 if thats all they keep. That's all I'm saying.

Yeah of course parts will be made for the system for some time to come, but the BAE system costs a little more to maintain than the GM-Allison, which is offered on all other bus platforms. The new hybrid system for the Orion VII NG will be revised a little, but it will be almost the same except for the batteries. The reason why I say it would cost a liitle more if they only keep the 4 hybrids is because parts for MTA are cheaper because there are like 824 hybrids, and a total of 1,010 Orion VII's. So effectively, what it costs MTA to maintain 6 hybrids is what it will cost Bee-Line to maintain 4 if thats all they keep. That's all I'm saying.

I get what you are saying. Bulk orders for parts are cheaper than a few. Trust me though, MTA and Bee-Line is most likely communicating with this. If Bee-Line needs parts, I highly think they will call MTA, and ask if they are ordering same parts, and would "piggy-back", on that order for parts......

I get what you are saying. Bulk orders for parts are cheaper than a few. Trust me though, MTA and Bee-Line is most likely communicating with this. If Bee-Line needs parts, I highly think they will call MTA, and ask if they are ordering same parts, and would "piggy-back", on that order for parts......

Yeah you're right, and I guess the funny part about it is that by the time the buses need major overhauls, Bee-Line will be MTA anyway!

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah you're right, and I guess the funny part about it is that by the time the buses need major overhauls, Bee-Line will be MTA anyway!

If the MTA is gunna swallow up every transit system around them, then why not start a stste wide transit agency, like New Jersey has? NYSTA(New York State Transit Authority), makes sence to me anyways... lord knows Suffolk County needs a better system. I hope MTA gets Suffolk Transit.

If the MTA is gunna swallow up every transit system around them, then why not start a stste wide transit agency, like New Jersey has? NYSTA(New York State Transit Authority), makes sence to me anyways... lord knows Suffolk County needs a better system. I hope MTA gets Suffolk Transit.

(MTA) has no limits... it's not restricted to NYC because it's a state-run organization.

I think if (MTA) gets Suffolk Transit that will just get folded into LIB.

If (MTA) gets Bee-Line... (MTA) Westchester Bus?

(MTA) has no limits... it's not restricted to NYC because it's a state-run organization.

I think if (MTA) gets Suffolk Transit that will just get folded into LIB.

If (MTA) gets Bee-Line... (MTA) Westchester Bus?

You're right. It's already MTA New York State. I could see them folding a lot of the regional transit into MTA

MTA means Metropolitan Transportation Authority (you all know that), and Buffalo, Rochester (or Crotch-chester), Albany and Syracuse, for example ain't in the metro area. That's why I think the name would be changed. Empire State Transit Authority. NYC would be the Big Apple Division, Westchester the Empire City Division, and From Rockland-Putnam on north, it would be a regional name. like Lower Hudson Valley Division, Catskill Division, Adirondack Division, etc.......

I think the MTA taking over every transit company in NY state would a bad idea.... The fares would would messed up, if you don't belive me look at NJ transit bus fares....Its distance based......

I agree. It needs to remain "Metropolitan." Bee-Line and Suffolk should be the end of it.

if you don't belive me look at NJ transit bus fares....Its distance based......
Ugh! How dare you!

Oh, and the term is zones.....

Again, like I've told you in the past, get to know the deal out here before bashing it. Trust me, many arguments like yours have been put down in the past because ya just dunno enough about it.

Ugh! How dare you!

Again, like I've told you in the past, get to know the deal out here before bashing it. Trust me, many arguments like yours have been put down in the past because ya just dunno enough about it.

For a statewide agency I think it's pretty well thought out and quite interesting as well as unique.

Ugh! How dare you!

zones, distance based... same thing.

zones, distance based... same thing.

Same in principle, but distance based is more specific, as it is possible (although not practical) to charge per inch traveled with "distance based" fares, while the fare is the same on both the near and far edges of a "zone" in a "zone based" fare plan.

And there's nothing wrong with zone or distance based fares. It's just that the (MTA) chose to have a single flat fare across the system, and it's been very successful.

MTA means Metropolitan Transportation Authority (you all know that), and Buffalo, Rochester (or Crotch-chester), Albany and Syracuse, for example ain't in the metro area. That's why I think the name would be changed. Empire State Transit Authority. NYC would be the Big Apple Division, Westchester the Empire City Division, and From Rockland-Putnam on north, it would be a regional name. like Lower Hudson Valley Division, Catskill Division, Adirondack Division, etc.......

That is a great idea! Man i wish i had the power, money, and plans to run MTA/NY State...

Archived