What do ticket collectors do on MetroNorth/LIRR aside from collect tickets?

Via Garibaldi 8

Is this why it's so expensive to operate LIRR?

I don't know if LIRR uses the same system. Regardless, like LIRR 154 said, one has no bearing on the other. With the bidding and bumping system you have the same amount of crew members on the trains as there would be without this type of system.

Just throwing it out there, but you could always just buy 1 or 2 tickets in advance rather than a full 10 pack. If you think you're only going to use the LIRR/MNRR once a week or so, you just keep those tickets in your wallet or something, and then you have them when you need them. And then when you use that ticket, you just buy another one (for future use) the next time you happen to be passing by that station or whatever.

You have to be careful doing that. While it isn't as bad now with the two month validity period, previously there was only the two week validity period. That coupled with the $10 service charge for refunds it wasn't in the best interest of most to keep a ticket in their wallet for emergencies.

I don't know if LIRR uses the same system. Regardless, like LIRR 154 said, one has no bearing on the other. With the bidding and bumping system you have the same amount of crew members on the trains as there would be without this type of system.

LIRR has two general picks a year; there's one in the fall and spring. Our bidding and trimming system sounds pretty much the same based on how you described MNR's process.

You have to be careful doing that. While it isn't as bad now with the two month validity period, previously there was only the two week validity period. That coupled with the $10 service charge for refunds it wasn't in the best interest of most to keep a ticket in their wallet for emergencies.

During the two week validity period, I always told people to get the 75 cent family child ticket and just extend the ticket so you wouldn't get charged the on-board penalty. If it expired, it wasn't that big of a hit to take.

LIRR has two general picks a year; there's one in the fall and spring. Our bidding and trimming system sounds pretty much the same based on how you described MNR's process.

Why wouldn't there be a pick everytime the there's a new timetable?

Not only that but if someone doesn't plan on using the LIRR or MetroNorth and now they keep getting a ticket in advance, naturally they're going to feel compelled to use it or they may forget about it. Like you said the window to use those tickets has increased but still. Those $10.00 trips can add up quickly especially if you're already using another form of transit. For example, I buy my weekly Express Bus Plus pass. Now I go and start buying MetroNorth tickets and now before I look around I've already spent another $40.00 or better depending on where I'm traveling to or from on top of my $50.00 a week Express Bus pass. You do that monthly and you may very well double your traveling expenses which is foolish if you're paying for a pass already and then using another form of transit almost as if you were using another pass. Like you said it just doesn't make sense economically, which is the whole point of getting passes.

Why wouldn't there be a pick everytime the there's a new timetable?

That's what Metro North does. There's a new timetable (run book for the jobs) once in April and once in October. If periodically throughout the year there are minor changes on a line then they will abolish old jobs and create new jobs if needed.

That's what Metro North does. There's a new timetable (run book for the jobs) once in April and once in October. If periodically throughout the year there are minor changes on a line then they will abolish old jobs and create new jobs if needed.

I've found very few changes in the New Haven line when the schedule changes every three or four months so I guess there's no reason to open all assignments to bid except for new assignments and all employees can bid on the new assignments. As new assignments are taken, vacancies occur and the bidding cycle begins all other over again until every job is filled, which could take weeks.

I have a very old LIRR run book. It's very interesting how train assignments are strung together for a shift.

I've found very few changes in the New Haven line when the schedule changes every three or four months so I guess there's no reason to open all assignments to bid except for new assignments and all employees can bid on the new assignments. As new assignments are taken, vacancies occur and the bidding cycle begins all other over again until every job is filled, which could take weeks.

I have a very old LIRR run book. It's very interesting how train assignments are strung together for a shift.

You do realize that MNRR consists more than only the New Haven line?

Archived