DesignLine Commuter Coach Discussion

Cait Sith

"Lot of hostility in here..lol I just wanna say a couple things..

1. These Designlines ARE motorcoach buses. Although there's really no standard definitions that help differentiate between a coach and transit bus, these Designlines have far more features resembling that of a coach. The single door, the seating, the high floor, etc. Saying its a transit bus just because of the HVAC unit on the top of it is kind of extreme..

2. However, if these buses lack reclining seats, that is a HUGE drawback. Especially for riders. Although its not exactly confirmed yet by anyone here, I wouldn't really put it past NJT to screw up the seating on a large bus order. Keep in mind how bad they screwed up the seating on all the NABIs, having extremely uncomfortable front-facing seats sitting over the rear axles..

That being said, I'm an occasional rider of some of the Howell routes so ill wait and see how these buses feel before I make an overall judgment. "

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Lot of hostility in here..lol I just wanna say a couple things..

1. These Designlines ARE motorcoach buses. Although there's really no standard definitions that help differentiate between a coach and transit bus, these Designlines have far more features resembling that of a coach. The single door, the seating, the high floor, etc. Saying its a transit bus just because of the HVAC unit on the top of it is kind of extreme..

2. However, if these buses lack reclining seats, that is a HUGE drawback. Especially for riders. Although its not exactly confirmed yet by anyone here, I wouldn't really put it past NJT to screw up the seating on a large bus order. Keep in mind how bad they screwed up the seating on all the NABIs, having extremely uncomfortable front-facing seats sitting over the rear axles..

That being said, I'm an occasional rider of some of the Howell routes so ill wait and see how these buses feel before I make an overall judgment. "

Thank you

I honestly don't care if the seats recline or not, I don't recline the seat when I take the 139, so it really doesn't matter to me. HVAC unit or no HVAC unit, its still a Motorcoach in my eyes. I'm with MiXxDiDdY, I'll judge it when I ride it.

So anyway, is this the demo bus or the pilot bus?

Seems like a pilot, but I could be wrong.

I honestly don't care if the seats recline or not, I don't recline the seat when I take the 139, so it really doesn't matter to me. HVAC unit or no HVAC unit, its still a Motorcoach in my eyes. I'm with MiXxDiDdY, I'll judge it when I ride it.

So anyway, is this the demo bus or the pilot bus?

Pretty much that to see if things need to get changed and whatnot.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw it going south on the Turnpike on the 139, never thought I'd see a CNG bus in service on a weekend lol.

I know, I remember one time seeing 7016 out on the weekend....it was kinda cool though lol.

7202 has made an appearance on the 67 today.

I know, I remember one time seeing 7016 out on the weekend....it was kinda cool though lol.

7202 has made an appearance on the 67 today.

Ya know, I was thinking about going over to Route 9 to see if I could catch it during rush hour today. What time did you see it and where?

I might have seen shitloads of CNGs on a weekend back then in August.

I'm real sure I've seen them run the 307 (Freehold-6 Flags) on weekends plenty of times, don't know what they put on the 308 and others but I know they sure as hell aren't on the 139 or 67 on the weekends.

Sounds like they're keeping it on the 67. What time did the person get that pic?

Not sure. But I guess what I was told was true about it staying on the 67 for the past few days. It also made an appearance on the 67B, so I guess they are beginning to shuffle it around.

this morining on my way to Hoboken in 47th + Blvd East on the 23 the 7202 was on its way to most likely to do a 128 i said to myself damn it i wished i waited more to get on it but oh well one day i will get on it soon so its slowly going to do the blvd east routing

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.app.com/article/20130103/NJNEWS/301030081/NJ-Transit-buy-84-new-buses-federal-funds

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but it seems like NJ Transit will be shopping for an additional 84 CNG buses. I wonder if these ones will also be 45 feet in length and perhaps just added to the existing Designline order.

http://www.app.com/a...s-federal-funds

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but it seems like NJ Transit will be shopping for an additional 84 CNG buses. I wonder if these ones will also be 45 feet in length and perhaps just added to the existing Designline order.

As far as I know, any coach order that is placed now will not be for any other length than 45 feet. Is it the same supplier? It would make sense if it was, but until there is more word out, we will have to wait and see.

http://www.app.com/a...s-federal-funds

Interesting. So, I guessing that these buses will replace much of the 1999-2000 MCI D4000s.

Archived