DesignLine Commuter Coach Discussion

Cait Sith

Interesting. So, I guessing that these buses will replace much of the 1999-2000 MCI D4000s.

More than likely this order will push all of Howell's D4000s and some of the 4500s out to other garages. NJT is way short MCIs for whatever reason.

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those D4000s at Howell are used so lightly it's not even funny. Like the MCI CNGs, they're definitely weekday only and I've never seen them run outside of rush hour. Let those wastes of space go where they're needed, hopefully we'll see MCI D4500CT CNGs replacing them.

BTW I haven't heard one thing about this bus in a while, I seriously hope they didn't like the bus and canceled the order...

Those D4000s at Howell are used so lightly it's not even funny. Like the MCI CNGs, hey're definitely weekday only and I've never seen them run outside of rush hour. Let those wastes of space go where they're needed, hopefully we'll see MCI D4500CT CNGs replacing them.

BTW I haven't heard one thing about this bus in a while, I seriously hope they didn't like the bus and canceled the order...

Well, this bus ain't easy to track compared to buses in NYC, so....

The article said that NJT was getting a federal grant for the extra 84 CNGs. That could mean MCIs, but it also could mean more DesignLines too. But hey, this is NJ Transit. We didn't expect them to get NABIs and we didn't expect them to get DesignLines either. So what they may get could be a surprise to us again.

Good, now Howell can push out them D4500s to where they are needed. Im sick and tired of seeing buses just sitting around in the garage not even being used, when other garages need buses. The 551 could def be upgraded to 45 footers only along with the 553, and rush hour 401, 402, 406, 408, 410, 412.

Good, now Howell can push out them D4500s to where they are needed. Im sick and tired of seeing buses just sitting around in the garage not even being used, when other garages need buses. The 551 could def be upgraded to 45 footers only along with the 553, and rush hour 401, 402, 406, 408, 410, 412.

Some of those D4500s are used on the weekday-only routes. That's probably why they sit there on the weekends. But I see your point, if Howell isn't using those buses then they need to go somewhere their needed. If South Jersey can't get artics for the crowded routes then 45' MCIs are the next best thing.

I ran the numbers. Howell has about 200 buses...if they decide to bring in the a full 160 CNGs then Howell would be giving up everything except the 9000s and 7100s. That's alot of buses!

Also I wonder if anybody caught this line:

"The other grants were $27.3 million to purchase 37 new hybrid cruiser buses to run to and from southern New Jersey and New York City..."

Looks like Egg Harbor and Meadowlands are getting D4500CTHs!

Also I wonder if anybody caught this line:

"The other grants were $27.3 million to purchase 37 new hybrid cruiser buses to run to and from southern New Jersey and New York City..."

Looks like Egg Harbor and Meadowlands are getting D4500CTHs!

If they are indeed D4500CTHs, this would make the 553 mostly 7100 as Meadowlands would push out 7167-7176 to us and split those D4500CTHs around 17-18 between egg harbor and meadowlands. Things just got very interesting around these parts. Along with Howell pushing out all those buses if it happens.

If they are indeed D4500CTHs, this would make the 553 mostly 7100 as Meadowlands would push out 7167-7176 to us and split those D4500CTHs around 17-18 between egg harbor and meadowlands. Things just got very interesting around these parts. Along with Howell pushing out all those buses if it happens.

I though about that quote a little more this morning. They could mean Howell will get the CTHs because they consider Howell to be a southern division garage. But then that means that the 9000s and 7100s get pushed out too. Either way it looks like you guys will be picking up some more equipment.

You might ne right now that i look at it, the last new buses we got were the 4500CLs back in 2007, lol hybrid just sreams Howell since they are the special bus garage.

.....but the CLs in Meadowlands are giving hella problems, so i can see them going to Egg Harbor and Meadowlands.

I;m probably gonna brake the BO chain on this page, but suppose if 7202 ends up as the only Designline CNG ordered, would they retire it or keep it in service. How would it be repaired, or will they just run it until it brakes down or an accident happens, in the case of staying in service.

I'm sure they can return it to Desginline like the MTA did with theirs. Wouldn't surprise me if they already did that since I haven't heard anything about it in a while.

You might ne right now that i look at it, the last new buses we got were the 4500CLs back in 2007, lol hybrid just sreams Howell since they are the special bus garage.

.....but the CLs in Meadowlands are giving hella problems, so i can see them going to Egg Harbor and Meadowlands.

It's sad that one of those CL's was my favorite bus, 7121. I would imagine that the newer buses will be split between MEAD and EGG but I would think that unless MEAD is gonna get more runs on the 319, majority of those buses will be EGG. Question is which one will be LAV's because I bet all the LAV's go to MEAD except for 4 of them since MEAD has 4 F/T Runs on the 319 and a few trippers during the summer months.

My brother, how are you?

If Mead send 7167-7176 to Egg, are you thinking that the newer buses will be split between Mead & Egg? Or do you think the newer buses will be split between the garages with you guys getting the bigger bulk?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="SirJokaPlaya" data-cid="631706" data-time="1358035068"><p>

It's sad that one of those CL's was my favorite bus, 7121. I would imagine that the newer buses will be split between MEAD and EGG but I would think that unless MEAD is gonna get more runs on the 319, majority of those buses will be EGG. Question is which one will be LAV's because I bet all the LAV's go to MEAD except for 4 of them since MEAD has 4 F/T Runs on the 319 and a few trippers during the summer months.</p></blockquote>

Last time i seen 7121 that bus sounded like it was near death.

Meadowlands wont be getting more 319 runs unless its addons in the summer for more super expresses, which are needed. Most of the LAVS would go to EGG. Its funny though because EGG is supposed to have 7171-7176. EGG is in need of more 45s for the 553 also. But lets wait n see what happens. Restroom buses are not needed on any MEAD route except for the 319.

Update: Building/Delivery is set to begin, the model has completed Altoona & in-service testing. Seems like its been doing very well both in and out of NJ Transit. Change is in the air!!

Notice given by NJ TRANSIT to complete full production of contract
CHARLOTTE, N.C. --

DesignLine Corporation announced today that its 45 foot compressed natural gas (CNG) coach bus has completed all phases of the federal-required Altoona testing and has been running in revenue service on NJ TRANSIT routes. NJ TRANSIT has given DesignLine the notification to proceed with the manufacture of 76 buses, the total number identified in the contract.

The CNG-powered bus offers the design elements of a coach bus coupled with the cost savings associated with natural gas propulsion. The resulting bus, called the EcoCoach, is an efficient, clean burning coach designed for over the road and intercity use. With the first Altoona-tested 45 foot CNG coach to reach the market, DesignLine is poised to capture a significant share of the emerging sector for CNG coaches.

"We couldn’t be prouder of our EcoCoach bus," said Joseph Smith, President of DesignLine. "This bus was designed and built to meet every challenge that might come its way on the road, and completing the grueling and comprehensive Altoona testing proves we succeeded in that effort. This bus has been put through every test possible and has performed extremely well."

Business Wire - DesignLine EcoCoach at corporate headquarters in Charlotte, NC.

The Altoona Bus Testing and Research Center provides bus manufacturers and the FTA reliable and unbiased data regarding vehicles. The goal is to promote greater reliability and performance of new bus models. The testing covers a number of broad areas, including: safety, structural integrity and durability, reliability, performance, maintainability, noise, fuel economy, brake, and emissions.

"When I ran buses in New York City for MTA, the ever-changing and high cost of fuel was a constant challenge,” added Smith, former President of MTA Bus Company. “The availability of an Altoona-tested CNG coach bus now allows transit systems and bus operators to reap the savings associated with the significantly lower cost of CNG fuel over diesel."

DesignLine, a Charlotte, NC-based bus design and manufacturing company, was founded in 1985 in New Zealand and relocated and headquartered in the United States in 2006. The company specializes in technologically-advanced transit and coach buses for public and private operators.

Source: http://www.fortmilltimes.com/2013/01/15/2436740/designline-cng-coach-completes.html

Archived