Trainspotter

MTA boss says he'll appoint chief for each subway line to improve service

BY PETE DONOHUE

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

July 23rd 2008

[float=right]amd_sander.jpg

Lombard for News

Elliot Sander

[/float]The MTA is gearing up for a major subway management shakeup to improve service on the debt-ridden, delay-plagued system, the Daily News has learned.

This fall, individual lines systemwide are expected to get their own chiefs with broad authority to run them like their own mini-railroads, officials said Tuesday.

Metropolitan Transportation Authority brass, confronting massive budget gaps that may lead to fare hikes, also said they anticipate savings by reorganizing and streamlining the underground bureaucracy.

NYC Transit - the MTA's bus and subway division - launched a pilot program to test the general managers' structure on the 7 and L lines in December.

"It's been very successful and we expect to expand it significantly," MTA CEO Elliot Sander said.

This fall, pending final analysis, NYC Transit President Howard Roberts is likely to put general managers at the helms of all numbered subway lines. The numbered lines have struggled more with keeping trains on schedule, possibly because of more severe overcrowding, Roberts said.

"I want to put the best management scheme and best talent that we have directly against those problems," Roberts said, adding the other lines will likely get general managers early next year.

The two current line managers have pinpointed slots where there is the capacity and need for additional trains, documents show. They have also micromanaged major construction projects to mitigate delays that otherwise would have been worse, Roberts said.

But Jeff Kay, one of Mayor Bloomberg's representatives on the MTA board, said, "Clearly, the jury is still out" on the program. The 7 and L lines continue to be plagued by delays, just like the entire system, he said, adding that costs are a concern.

When the program expands across the system, the general manager's position will be strengthened, Roberts said.

Now, supervisors in charge of train crews, station personnel and car equipment workers report to the general managers. That will be expanded to include supervisors in charge of the track, signals and power departments, Roberts said.

Officials said they weren't ready to estimate expected savings, but said supervisory and managerial ranks will be trimmed.

"There are layers in there that are not going to be required under the general managers concept," Roberts said.

Sander said the reorganization fits in with his new vision for the MTA that is "customer-oriented and efficient by being leaner, flatter and more integrated."

Transit advocate Gene Russianoff praised the plan, saying, "General managers on the 7 and the L with greater authority and accountability have brought improvements that riders on those lines can see, from cleaner stations to better announcements. Bringing these new managers to the rest of the numbered trains should improve service."

to me (MTA) is just wasting money. if the T/O actually do their jobs and not slack off they will actually get the service better and not waste money (us) and them

Now why in the world whould you go and make a blanket statement such as that?

I know plenty of T/O's me included who come to work every day and do our jobs RIGHT...:mad:

Why arent you down here operating and showing us T/O's the right way of doing things then if we "slack off" so much?

How would you know that T/O's slack off and not do their jobs.

Yes Harry thats an answer i would like to hear mysef being a T/O...

I just love the "know-it-alls"..

Frist to say how much they know and first to not make it past Schoolcar...

to me (MTA) is just wasting money. if the T/O actually do their jobs and not slack off they will actually get the service better and not waste money (us) and them

I am a fair man at times, so please elaborate on what you mean by slack off.....

(Between us, operators get written up for leaving late if they arrive to work late, and usually there is someone on the X-tra list to cover it..... T/Os can't fly down the road, if the signals, timer, curves, and speed restrictions doesn't permit it......)

Most of them do a pretty good job, when there's people on the tracks fixing something or when you get a redlight for a train that just came into the station (especially if it's some other train line(s) that merge on the same track), as well as people who hold the train doors, it's just not easy to be on time. Just because everyone leaves the first stop on time doesn't mean they can stay on schedule.

Train operators and conductors are the most hardworking people in the subway System. You can't just mock them and say that they are "slacking off". How would you know if the operator is slacking off? Train Operators do an excellent job moving these subway cars around every day 24/7. Anyone that dares to defy the hard work of the NYC Subway motormen, should get out of the subway. I feel like train operators are so under appreciated these days. :mad: They work their butts off, and nobody gives them a "thank you". Wow.

I wish people can stop complaining about how late their trains are, and start realizing how hardworking T/O's are. Train operators deserve credit for what they do everyday. :cool: They're cool. :cool:

I am a fair man at times, so please elaborate on what you mean by slack off.....

At times... lol...

But yeah. Why would T/Os slack off? They're responsible for all the equipment and all the people they drive. That's a lot of money and lives at stake here. If the T/O slacks off... there's gonna be a lot of funerals and lawsuits to say the least. (OK, I may be exaggerating, but anyone remember the Union Square wreck or the Malbone St wreck?) If that's not enough incentive to do their job right I don't know what is.

Most of them do a pretty good job, when there's people on the tracks fixing something or when you get a redlight for a train that just came into the station (especially if it's some other train line(s) that merge on the same track), as well as people who hold the train doors, it's just not easy to be on time. Just because everyone leaves the first stop on time doesn't mean they can stay on schedule.

wait i meant if the passengers were to come on the train and not hold up the doors. i was thinking of something else that was happening to me yesterday. sorry guys.

wait i meant if the passengers were to come on the train and not hold up the doors. i was thinking of something else that was happening to me yesterday. sorry guys.
Now...can you say that and mean it?

I agree with you. More positions for employees = more hiring = more expenditures. Their primary concern should be balancing the budget, so that we don't have to end up entirely footing the bill, as it looks like we might have to, with the fare hikes slated to take effect in 2009.

At times... lol...

But yeah. Why would T/Os slack off? They're responsible for all the equipment and all the people they drive. That's a lot of money and lives at stake here. If the T/O slacks off... there's gonna be a lot of funerals and lawsuits to say the least. (OK, I may be exaggerating, but anyone remember the Union Square wreck or the Malbone St wreck?) If that's not enough incentive to do their job right I don't know what is.

You are not exaggerating, cause this is what they are drilling into our heads at schoolcar. Peoples lives, loss of expensive equipment, and shutting down a portion of the city, is the consequences of slacking off.........

Yes, shutting down a line due to an avoidable accident, due to a T/O slacking off, is called shutting down a portion of the city, which is something TA DOS/RTO doesn't want to do, at all.........

One thing I have noticed in my 8 Years with(MTA) the riders are quick to blame the T/O and C/R for any service delay despite other causes like the Guy holding the doors for someone who didn't pay the fare yet and is still buying the MetroCard or the guy to throws thier garbage on the tracks then a spark from a train catches it and causes a track fire. How about the person who request Medical assisance on the train then when help arrives they refuse treatment.

One thing I have noticed in my 8 Years with(MTA) the riders are quick to blame the T/O and C/R for any service delay despite other causes like the Guy holding the doors for someone who didn't pay the fare yet and is still buying the MetroCard or the guy to throws thier garbage on the tracks then a spark from a train catches it and causes a track fire. How about the person who request Medical assisance on the train then when help arrives they refuse treatment.

that happened to a old lady on the (6) train once. she said, "Get the ambulance, sir as fast as possible" to the train operator and police and when they came she was like "No, no i'm okay". the operator got mad and his face was red then for no reason.

that happened to a old lady on the (6) train once. she said, "Get the ambulance, sir as fast as possible" to the train operator and police and when they came she was like "No, no i'm okay". the operator got mad and his face was red then for no reason.

What do you mean for no reasons.....I would be pissed if I were him...

Agree... because the T/O just lost face there. The old lady just embarassed him in front of the whole train.

it wasted 2 hrs of my time. i mean there was no (6) train at all to City Hall. they should ahve att least had service on express. well it was weekend midday so.....................

Agree... because the T/O just lost face there. The old lady just embarassed him in front of the whole train.

On the contrary, the T/O didn't lose anything in that encounter except time.The people who lost were the riders on that train who were inconvenienced and were late, missed appointments, connections, etc., because of one inconsiderate person.

How did she embarrass him in front of the who train??? If other customers heard her yell for the T/O to get help, she is the one who would be embarrassed, not him. He had witnesses that heard her say she needed an ambulance. They should have gave her, her request. Cause I would have made sure she left in an ambulance one way or another. Good old Southern a$$ whippin, would be one way.......

The numbered lines are running later these days because of a new system installed called ATS, Those of you who wanted to computerize the system for the 21st. century ,well here it is. Now the trains run slower than they did in the last century. And it's coming to the lettered lines next.

Archived