Frazzled riders not 4-giving of delays

Trainspotter

Frazzled riders not 4-giving of delays

By Kamelia Angelova, Jenny Merkin and Christina Boyle

DAILY NEWS WRITERS

July 23rd 2008

amd_subway.jpg

Gill for News

Commuters wait - and wait - for the 4 train, the least-punctual subway line, at the

59th St. station Tuesday.

The tales of woe from (4) line passengers are endless.

Subway riders say they are often late for meetings, miss the first bell at school, or even find themselves out of pocket because of delays on the poorest-performing track in the system.

"It's ridiculous, I'm late for work all the time," said Ken Jackson, 25, who depends on the Lexington Ave. line to get to work.

Newly compiled NYC Transit figures show the (4) is the least punctual line in the city. Just 70.1% of trains ran on time in May, compared with an average 91.5% across the system.

This comes as no surprise to many commuters, who say waiting on the (4)(5)(6) platform is a daily chore.

"I was stuck on the (4) train for 20 minutes last week; I was late for a meeting. It was very frustrating," said student Genesis Pinales, 16. "I have no patience for the train anymore; I recently started taking the bus."

NYC Transit officials say they are exploring a number of options to improve performance on the (4) and other lines, including a skip-stop service.

wow, what a bunch of whiners

if you haven't waited literally 15 minutes for the R train to come after missing the 1st one, you shouldn't be complaining

also btw i highly doubt the 4 train would come once ever 20 minutes, for 2 reasons 1) the 4 is very reliable in my experience, and 2) the MTA would NEVER provide such bad service for the 4 considering the mayor rides it to work (supposedly)

Lexington Avenue Customers on the (4) whine a lot. There's a good reason the (4) isn't as frequent as the <4> riders wish it would be. There's the (5) to and from Dyre Avenue, all times, and there's another <5> to and from Nereid Avenue in Peak Direction. You'd have one-third chance of catching a (4) train, because during rush hours, there's (4)(5) (Dyre) <5> (Nereid).

(4) trains aren't bad. Most (4) trains come on time. Surveys on these lines don't always give an accurate sense on how the lines operate and how often they operate on time. The (4) is a good subway line to me, no matter what time or how often I get on it.

I dunno, i was on the lex last week, and we got off a <6> to get on a (4) and the (4) was packed solid, and took longer to leave than a <6> that came & went after the one we got off. I think she is saying she waited for 20 minutes once, not every time. I've waited 10-15 minutes on the (1) before when there was police activity several times. Midtown is generally where the most crowding is because of what lines and services run there and tourists etc. About 50% of the time there is some kind of delay in midtown on the (A)(C)(D)(:P(1)(2)(3)(4)(5)(6)<6>(7)(F)(N)(R)(V) and (W) The best way to get a place sometimes is to walk, but those times of max congestion are sporadic and somewhat unpredictable.

Maybe they should put double articulated busses on lexington ave till the (T) is done.

- Andy

I'm going to put in my 2 cents here. As an ex-Bronxnite I took the (4) to/from Brooklyn. Downtown trains during PM rush hours its bad but not that bad. Now coming from Brooklyn into Manhattan during PM rush hours is crazy....sometimes you have two (4)'s behind one another and one of them is empty b/c the other (4) is nearly fulled up. I can say the (4) is kind of slow b/c when I took the (5) or <5> from Winthrop Street we would catch with the (4) b/w Bowling Green and Fulton Street sometimes Brooklyn Bridge-City Hall and thats when hell begins. I'm sure the reason ppl say the (4) is slow is due to the fact that its like 10 trains behind one another along the Lexington Avenue Line. Sometimes ppl hold the doors for other customers and/or their friends, mechanical problems with the NTT's, sick passengers, ppl pushing into a packed train when they can wait for another one, during track work the 3rd rail cover is missing and it have to crawl slow and many other reasons. So in many words customers whom take the (4)(5)<5>(6)<6> trains have a right to complain about their line being jacked up or w/e. Yeah they other subway lines is no different, but the Lexington Avenue Line is the most busiest line in New York City besides the (1)(2)(3) 7th Avenue Line, (E)(F)(G)(R)(V) Queens Boulevard Line and (:P(D)(F)(V) 6th Avenue Line. If the 2nd Avenue Line was built a long time ago trust and believe the Lexington Avenue Line won't be that packed.

Advice to people who complain they're late for work or school because of the train: Give as much extra time as you can!

Yeah, that's why I take the Lex in the early morning, to get to my school between 7 and 7:30, when classes don't start until 8:40...

also btw i highly doubt the 4 train would come once ever 20 minutes, for 2 reasons 1) the 4 is very reliable in my experience, and 2) the MTA would NEVER provide such bad service for the 4 considering the mayor rides it to work (supposedly)

1) I've had to wait 15+ minutes for a downtown (4) train during off-peak times in the Bronx - and it's happened not just once, but multiple times. One day this winter, I had to wait 35 minutes for a downtown (4) at 161st Street - and it was only 7:50 p.m. at the time.

2) The MTA could care less what line Bloomberg allegedly rides. They know, as do you and I, that his whole claim to ride the train to work is nothing but a sham and a farce. Bloomberg surely isn't riding the (2) at Prospect Avenue in the south Bronx by himself at 3:00 a. m. If he rides the train, he's riding it with armed bodyguards, because he knows he wouldn't make it out alive otherwise.

1) I've had to wait 15+ minutes for a downtown (4) train during off-peak times in the Bronx - and it's happened not just once, but multiple times. One day this winter, I had to wait 35 minutes for a downtown (4) at 161st Street - and it was only 7:50 p.m. at the time.

2) The MTA could care less what line Bloomberg allegedly rides. They know, as do you and I, that his whole claim to ride the train to work is nothing but a sham and a farce. Bloomberg surely isn't riding the (2) at Prospect Avenue in the south Bronx by himself at 3:00 a. m. If he rides the train, he's riding it with armed bodyguards, because he knows he wouldn't make it out alive otherwise.

And I waited 3 hours for the (2) train AM Rush, from 6:30-9:30, why? Because Bum-bardier couldn't make the R142 reliable... Damn thing stalled on me in the Winter. Ended up taking the Bx41 bus just to see a (5) when I got to Gun Hill Road, trains were empty since the station told people to take the bus...

And the (4) train, I have the least problems with this route, the real pain is the (5) train! God I hate this route, on a weekday noon I wait anywhere from 20-35 minutes. I just took the Bx30 or W60,61,62 to the (2) instead. This route is really frustrating! Even worse is that this is my home route (for all my life in NYC) and I just can't take it anymore! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

the R comes literally once every 15 minutes on weekends on the QB local. yes i timed it (i missed the 1st train by accident, i was curious to see how long it took the next one to come).

the 4 again i highly doubt the 4 would take that long to come, every time i take the 4 its very consistent and comes (and travels) quickly

if only every train was as reliable as the 4 and 6..

Archived