Shovel Your Sidewalks!!!

Burrstone

Why do so many businesses feel the need not to shovel their sidewalks? Some have the company that plows their lot push a mountain of snow up on the sidewalk to clear the lot, others clear their walkway but leave a wall of snow by the next property that no one is going to touch and will freeze there all winter making pedestrians having to walk in the street to get around it. I notice businesses that leave the perimeter of their property with the sidewalk unshoveled but shovel in front of their door and to the parking lot shoveled leaving everyone else to walk in the snow.

The businesses that don't shovel their walk will now have a slippery hard mess on their sidewalks for pedestrians to deal with.

If you see businesses violating their obligation to shovel their sidewalk I urge you to call your towns code enforcement depart, report them, and bug the town to force these people to do what is required of them.

Long Islanders have been through enough in the past week and shouldn't have to climb over mountains/walls, walk in the street, risk slipping and falling, or walk around with wet socks or bottoms of their pant legs on the way to the bus, train, or walking wherever because business owners or managers are too lazy to do what is required of them and clear their sidewalks!

This is transit related and given the area I feel it best belongs here. :)

Why do so many businesses feel the need not to shovel their sidewalks? Some have the company that plows their lot push a mountain of snow up on the sidewalk to clear the lot, others clear their walkway but leave a wall of snow by the next property that no one is going to touch and will freeze there all winter making pedestrians having to walk in the street to get around it. I notice businesses that leave the perimeter of their property with the sidewalk unshoveled but shovel in front of their door and to the parking lot shoveled leaving everyone else to walk in the snow.

The businesses that don't shovel their walk will now have a slippery hard mess on their sidewalks for pedestrians to deal with.

If you see businesses violating their obligation to shovel their sidewalk I urge you to call your towns code enforcement depart, report them, and bug the town to force these people to do what is required of them.

Long Islanders have been through enough in the past week and shouldn't have to climb over mountains/walls, walk in the street, risk slipping and falling, or walk around with wet socks or bottoms of their pant legs on the way to the bus, train, or walking wherever because business owners or managers are too lazy to do what is required of them and clear their sidewalks!

This is transit related and given the area I feel it best belongs here. :)

I think Pinepower will agreed with this one.

Beside weather or transit problem,

Sometimes Long Island drivers at gas station block sidewalk, forcing pedestrian to go on dangerous busy street road, where cars and buses are roaring pass.

I agreed villages, towns need to ENFORCE SNOW REMOVAL as Suffolk County's Massaqua enforced policy to return shopping carts, grasses, etc.

Well it doesn't have to do with NICE, but all of this and NICE is Nassau County's problem, so whatever. Anyway, what I've seen really in Nassau County is that the plows do push everything to the side of the road and sometimes up on the sidewalk, but there is usually a lane on the sidewalk where walking 1 person at a time is available. Yes, the entire sidewalk should be shoveled, but that's usually physical labor and costs extra $$.

• 2 months later...

If I could be bothered to get my SD card

out of my phone, I'd upload a picture of the N20 shelter by Hicksville

station... literally none of the sidewalks around there were cleaned and

people either had to walk through 5' high snow drifts or stand

dangerously close to traffic (like I did) just to wait for a bus.  It's

amazing how people look down on non-drivers here.

I have a picture I took on my way home on Monday of a lawyers that didn't shovel their sidewalk.  Everyone on the block had shoveled the sidewalk except for the lawyers office, funny you'd think they'd be the ones who would  be a sticler for the law.

I slip triple going down Roslyn from Clock Tower bus stop to deli store

on sidewalk due to downhill. Then after Cindy's n21 bus coming soon, I

walk oncoming lane on Old Northern Blvd back uphill to Clock Tower and

all the drivers moved to their left unlike Suffolk drivers.

I went to a store in West Babylon on Sunday taking Montauk HWY, it was a shame to see people having to walk in the street and people in the right lane coming dangerously close to those walking. The right lane was already very tight because of the way the road was plowed and the snow banks on the side of the road.  I was scared and honestly worried about the people walking and thought this could be deadly considering the attention level of most Long Island drivers who are more busy on the phone, changing the radio station, or doing whatever they're doing besides paying attention to the road.

This is becoming a public safety hazzard getting worse and worse each year.  It's especially disgusting that the businesses are allowed to get away it, it really seems like a "f-ck you" to those who have to walk!

Also I've noticed many businesses do plow their lot and comply with the law by clearing the sidewalk HOWEVER, they could care less about the people walking and only care about complying with the law by leaving a mountain of snow on the sidewalk between the property lines forcing people to walk into the street.

I wish this was just one or two business so I could help me Howard to embarrass the business on the news but this is a widespread Nassau and Suffolk problem!  Something needs to be done!

Well here in the land of Seoul, South Korea all the apartment security guards do the work for us lol.

How about the houses? Surely it's not all highrises.

What about businesses. do they shovel their sidewalks?  They do in NYC but in Long Island many businesses on main roads are not shoveling thier sidewalks causing people to walk into the roadway dangerously close to traffic.

Yeah in Riverdale it's mainly condos on the main streets so they take care of it though there is one co-op that seems to do the bare minimum which pisses me to the core. There's a building that clears all of the door exits only and shovels segments of the sidewalks as if it isn't their responsibility.  Really annoying too because it's downhill so you're slipping and sliding going downhill.  <_<  The businesses do a good job overall though and the super of my apt. building is fantastic.  He's an older Dominican gentlemen, but man is he a workhorse.  Our sidewalks are pretty much new and all of snow was shoveled.  I am so glad I don't have to deal with shoveling anymore nor the morons on Staten Island that don't shovel.  I'd spend hours shoveling our sidewalks and helping out neighbors as well and then you'd walk on Forest Avenue and would have to wait in the street to catch the friggin' express bus.  They do a great job with that up here too and make nice little areas where you can get on the express bus without any real worries.  The shelters by Kappock St and Knolls Crescent I noticed were nicely shoveled out as well.

Wow, yet another post about how "in Riverdale" life is so good.  Shut up.

This would have had a picture of the N20 shelter in Hicksville but Imageshack is acting up.

LOL... I'd be cranky little man up front too if I had sh*tty bus service with old beat up "NICE" buses and no shoveled sidewalks.  :lol:

I really hate seeing mounds of snow with blotches of yellow in it every time I have to march in tears through the Grand Concourse while being careful not to slide into dogsh!t every ten steps along the way. Is this a problem that happens in Riverdale in the Boggie Down? If so, yo, put me on with what the real estate situation situation is there! Please?

Dog shit is a problem regardless. People being lazy sobs and not picking up after their dogs. To make it worse people automatically assumes anyone passing by with a dog are the ones responsible and starts to yell at them. That's why I have to tie a bag to the end of the leash, so ppl can see that I have a bag to clean up after my dog.

Dog shit is a problem regardless. People being lazy sobs and not picking up after their dogs. To make it worse people automatically assumes anyone passing by with a dog are the ones responsible and starts to yell at them. That's why I have to tie a bag to the end of the leash, so ppl can see that I have a bag to clean up after my dog.

This even happens in gentrified areas. You expect "civilized" people to do the right thing but they will often not if they think they can get away with it. Even at Whole Foods, I've seen people robbing the market or being dirty around the hot food bar in ways that none of us would have expected.

This even happens in gentrified areas. You expect "civilized" people to do the right thing but they will often not if they think they can get away with it. Even at Whole Foods, I've seen people robbing the market or being dirty around the hot food bar in ways that none of us would have expected.

We're now considering hipsters to be "civilized" people? :PB-)

Travel and Leisure Magazine did rank NYC as the No. 1 dirtiest city to live in the United States for the reasons we've just mentioned among other things. I swear, seriously, sometimes I think people was better in the 19th century at curbing their horses and carriage back in the days as compared to now, I have to admit, in sarcasm, mutter to myself and other people sometimes. 

We're now considering hipsters to be "civilized" people? :PB-)

Heh. You'll have to trust me on this one. I work with them and I know. I could trust those people to not stab my back if there were a million dollar reward for doing so. Every now and then there are exceptions to the rule, and those are the ones that will leave a lovely mound of poop unattended in front of the entrance of some business establishment or steal petty items like a magazine.

I really hate seeing mounds of snow with blotches of yellow in it every time I have to march in tears through the Grand Concourse while being careful not to slide into dogsh!t every ten steps along the way. Is this a problem that happens in Riverdale in the Boggie Down? If so, yo, put me on with what the real estate situation situation is there! Please?

Heck now you know how I feel when I had to walk on the Concourse. Ugh..

Like GC said, there's doggy crap everywhere. How come the police aren't being strict about cleaning after your pet?? In Jersey you get a hefty fine if you don't clean up. There was one morning when I had to go out, had this neighbor who had or has a rotweiler (sp?) and well took him out for a walk. As I see him standing with his dog (dog doing business) and dog finishes, he goes and walks away without cleaning up the mess like as if he doesn't have to clean it up. However, there's another neighbor who lives on the first floor who has two small dogs. He takes them out and always carry a small plastic bag and other supplies to clean up after his pets. I tell you, there are a bunch of pigs that live in the city.

This is why, even though I don't like the invasion of privacy, I do see the need for more camera across the country. Get the vids of the 'jerk' and send the person a fine directly. Post public vids if needed so other people won't be so damn suspicious of everyone walking a dog. God the (3) people that yelled at me when they see me walking my dog are as bad as the ppl leaving the crap on the sidewalks. Save the bitching for the guilty people. Probably cowards that wouldn't approach a person with a big dog or the owner looks 'threatening'.

Archived