Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Transitboy

Graffiti

Has anyone seen a peculiar graffiti design in the subways? The graffiti tends to be on Northbound platforms in the most northern sections of the platforms and columns as well. It looks like a skull with its mouth half open and half of its face showing, anyone else seen this? and where?

103rd street 7th ave

A7O0fxgCEAAY1Hk.jpg

110th street 7th ave

A7Ox9FHCYAEeWPF.jpg

MIND you these are at the NORTHbound platforms and their most northern sections and I've noticed this pattern in other stations as well...

Edited by Transitboy
  • Upvote 1

What graffiti in the subways!? That's crazy talk...

It's it akin to saying that there are homless people still in the subways

Oh wait:

020.jpg

Ok there's some graff in the system, I seen the same stuff at a few stations in upper manhattan...

I still see writers bomb the R142's, R142A's, and R160's offten.

And people think this is dead.

Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doen't exist.

Or maybe it doesn't exist. Maybe it's an elaborate plan by the MTA to get attention to the system.

OR maybe we are all brains in jars and this reality is made up.

You never know. Keep your mind open.

Edited by DanTheTransitMan
  • Upvote 1

I have seen some between Beverly Rd (Q) and Cortelyou Rd (Q) SB, some between Beverly Rd (Q) and Church Av (B)(Q) as well, never paid much attention to it.

The only thing cool about graffiti in the subway was when it was on the cars. That changed the way most people looked at art forever.

What the hell are you talking about!!! Where have you heard of this graffti design before?

If your talking to me I said it in the post. Read man, read. If you weren't talking to me sorry for bothering you. :D

And people call this a damn crime. Atleast they have new designs for their trains, free too.

Well it is a crime, and should be treated as such. But these writers get hit with felony charges constantly for two reasons: The city doesn't want people to do this so they make an example out of the few fellows that do get caught (to deter other possible artists). Also the DA loves cases like this, to boost their own political standing, so they sometimes can inflate the charges beyond what they actually are. There is a lot of sillyness that just needs to stop. Making graff a felony is just one of those things...

Loved the 70's and 80's even though I wasn't around then.

• Upvote 3

If your talking to me I said it in the post. Read man, read. If you weren't talking to me sorry for bothering you. :D

I was talking to Tranistboy not you.

• Upvote 1

Has anyone seen a peculiar graffiti design in the subways? The graffiti tends to be on Northbound platforms in the most northern sections of the platforms and columns as well. It looks like a skull with its mouth half open and half of its face showing, anyone else seen this? and where?

jfdKONMm

Is that you?

• Upvote 1

What the hell are you talking about!!! Where have you heard of this graffti design before?

I've seen it in several locations along the (1) , (2) , (3) , (4) , (5) , (6) and (E) lines to name a few..

Is that you?

Took the photo yes.

I've seen it in several locations along the (1) , (2) , (3) , (4) , (5) , (6) and (E) lines to name a few..

Took the photo yes.

I do hope you realize that graffiti exist in the system... Mainly in the tunnels. But could happen outside of it too.

Unless your just talking about the particular face. I don't know.

I have seen some between Beverly Rd (Q) and Cortelyou Rd (Q) SB, some between Beverly Rd (Q) and Church Av (B)(Q) as well, never paid much attention to it.

The only thing cool about graffiti in the subway was when it was on the cars. That changed the way most people looked at art forever.

Art

I call it Vandalism. I think it's ugly and degrading. They should do that stuff in their own house, not on public transport or property.

How the hell can you consider this art ? : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3W7_XKZAs4

Edited by Mr Railfan
  • Upvote 5

What graffiti in the subways!? That's crazy talk...

It's it akin to saying that there are homless people still in the subways

Oh wait:

020.jpg

Ok there's some graff in the system, I seen the same stuff at a few stations in upper manhattan...

I still see writers bomb the R142's, R142A's, and R160's offten.

And people think this is dead.

Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doen't exist.

Or maybe it doesn't exist. Maybe it's an elaborate plan by the MTA to get attention to the system.

OR maybe we are all brains in jars and this reality is made up.

You never know. Keep your mind open.

Sorry for being a no0b but how did you post that photo? I;d like to know so it'd make life posting photos on here a heck of a lot easier if you dont mind.

Art

I call it Vandalism. I think it's ugly and degrading. They should do that stuff in their own house, not on public transport or property.

How the hell can you consider this art ? : http://www.youtube.com/watch?KZAs4

I call it both. And I do like it in ways... Especially outside of buildings :)

5ujujn.jpg

Murals too~

Edited by mark1447

Art

I hear you, but I have to agree with Mark. This looks pretty damn good to me.

ny%2Bsubway_3.jpg

While this does not.

draxny.jpg?f764e8

• Upvote 1

@Brighton express: You wouldn't be so happy if some scumbag tagged up your house or car without permission. It's not their property to damage. It's only 'art' if the person allows his/her wall to be sprayed. Otherwise it is a crime and filthy. It shouldn't be tolerated at all.

I'd like to chop the hands off of these "artists".

I totally agree, but I'd break their fingers first as a first offense.... Edited by Grand Concourse
  • Upvote 8

Theres a nice mural near me that wasnt allowed done by a fairly late aged guy. Portrayed Ave U and the American flag. But I guess thats vandalism too under the judgement that it wasnt allowed.

Theres a nice mural near me that wasnt allowed done by a fairly late aged guy. Portrayed Ave U and the American flag. But I guess thats vandalism too under the judgement that it wasnt allowed.

The one near Bedford avenue? That one is actually pretty cool and looks like it was done as a memorial to 9/11

There was this one time where two teenagers attempted to make their own "graffiti" inside an R142A that was running on the 6 with a sharpie, and i just simply told them "you call that graffiti?" since all i saw was just effortless scribbles. Luckily, we were approaching the abandoned 18th St station, i told them "now this is graffiti" and they were amazed by the actual effort done.

If someone's gonna tag stuff up, at least be creative about it just like these guys for example:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/01/arts/design/01underbelly.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

the-underbelly-project-11.jpg

the-underbelly-project-13.jpg

the-underbelly-project-16.jpg

the-underbelly-project-21.jpg

the-underbelly-project-6.jpg

underbelly-project-main.jpg

ltv11.jpg

We definitely need more places where street artists can safely show off their skills, besides 5 Pointz. Some of these street artists got talent to be honest...

• Upvote 1