Graffiti

Transitboy

Theres a nice mural near me that wasnt allowed done by a fairly late aged guy. Portrayed Ave U and the American flag. But I guess thats vandalism too under the judgement that it wasnt allowed.

Some are in good tastes, but I'll say it again: if this was your property, would you be in favor of it? If they want to show their 'art' then they should get permission for it. And maybe more places should open their doors to let them use 'blank canvases' to use than public/private property, not tag up a place just because they 'want to express themselves'.

The one near Bedford avenue? That one is actually pretty cool and looks like it was done as a memorial to 9/11

I know about that one too, but that one had a permit I believe.

The one I was talking about was more near Marine Park, it was taken down though.

Some are in good tastes, but I'll say it again: if this was your property, would you be in favor of it?

But that's not the point, yeah it's in good taste, a mural of Ave U and the American flag. But if it wasn't allowed to be put up, in your logic, that would of been considered vandalism. And guess what, even that was taken down because it wasn't allowed. Talk about double standards.

@Brighton express: You wouldn't be so happy if some scumbag tagged up your house or car without permission. It's not their property to damage. It's only 'art' if the person allows his/her wall to be sprayed. Otherwise it is a crime and filthy. It shouldn't be tolerated at all.I totally agree, but I'd break their fingers first as a first offense....

I fully agree with you. It's disgusting and wrong, and it disgusts me that transit 'enthusiasts' are in favor of it.

How would they like it if I went into their house and tagged everything?

Unfortunately, graffiti is always going to be a problem for NYCT. now matter how big or small :(

Let's not center it only on NYCT... Its everywhere. Ain't going no where. Besides, there are way more issues in this world to deal with, then a can of spray being used.

How exactly does the MTA get rid of this on train cars? Do they wash them down or repaint them (can you repaint stainless steel)?

They dunked them in acid (contributing to the premature retirement of the R44's)

Now they just wash them.

I know about that one too, but that one had a permit I believe.

The one I was talking about was more near Marine Park, it was taken down though.

But that's not the point, yeah it's in good taste, a mural of Ave U and the American flag. But if it wasn't allowed to be put up, in your logic, that would of been considered vandalism. And guess what, even that was taken down because it wasn't allowed. Talk about double standards.

If it was taken down, it was because no one got permission to spray it on the wall. So why is it surprising? It's the owner's wall, they can do whatever they want. If people wanted it to stay, they can pay the owner to leave it up. So again, if it was your house/car whatever, would you like it if someone tagged up your place withOUT permission?

Ok my opinion on this: Graffiti is an aspect of hip hop culture that deserves it's place in Man's ability to express his thoughts artitistically. However it's roots in vandalism is something that because of how it evolved, became a leagalistically contreversial issue. It is what it is. Of course I appreciate clean trains but at the same time the inner city youth does have their fundamental right to express themselves.

But a crime is a crime. I would'nt deny a person being chargeed with vandalism. Many artists say f**k it and accept that. I sort of grew up when the art as it was exploding in the 90's (If you follow Hip Hop history that was a time the art seriously evolved in art and music in part of technological advances) while I was in HS, hence my opinion on this.

If it was taken down, it was because no one got permission to spray it on the wall. So why is it surprising? It's the owner's wall, they can do whatever they want. If people wanted it to stay, they can pay the owner to leave it up. So again, if it was your house/car whatever, would you like it if someone tagged up your place withOUT permission?

I think I forgot to leave out one thing. The wall did not belong to anyone, it was on a vacant lot's wall.

But explaining anything further is useless because it's obviously being ignored.

How can you call it "expressing yourself" when just about every piece of subway graffiti I've ever seen looks exactly the same? Having the right to express yourself does not give you the right to damage property that does not belong to you. That sounds like Michael Vick's argument that dog fighting was part of Virginia Urban culture......culture or not, cruelty to animals is a CRIME and he deserved to be punished for what he did.

We can't have nice things because of the vandals. WHy are we one of the few subway systems in the country that does not have padded seats? You think they would tolerate graffiti in the DC Metro? Over there, they are ready to call the SWAT team on you if your caught eating.

The reference to the mural done by the aged guy is located on Avenue X and Bedford Avenue which is on the handball courts in Bill Brown Park. It is a 9/11 memorial dedicated to the the memory of the fallen victims from this area. It lists the names of each and every victim and every year there is a memorial service held on the anniversary of 09/11.

There is a difference between this which is a memorial which had to be approved to be done on public property and vandalizing public or private property, Defacement of property (whether public or private) should not be tolerated by anyone on any level. There are plenty of other ways to get a message across without the wanton destruction of property. If however the writer wants to graduate to the other type of institution where rows of razor wire separate the facility (and the writer) from the public then there is nothing that can be said.

Archived