Why weren't the R33 WFs retrofitted with AC?

RPTA

I was wondering, during the 1980s when the MTA was rebuilding the IRT cars into the Redbirds, all of them were retrofitted with air conditioning, except for the R33 WF. Is there any particular reason why the R33 WFs were not retrofitted? I would like to know.

EDIT: Mods, please fix the title.

I thought it was for the same reason the R30s didn't get A/C - the equipment would've made them heavier. The singles more so, because all of the equipment required for the car to run had to be crammed onto one car, instead of being split between two cars in the cased of married pairs.

I thought it was for the same reason the R30s didn't get A/C - the equipment would've made them heavier. The singles more so, because all of the equipment required for the car to run had to be crammed onto one car, instead of being split between two cars in the cased of married pairs.

Exactly. All other Redbird cars had A/C, but those R33WFs. An experiment to try A/C on subway cars was tested on R15 car 6239 and a train of R17s. They weren't successful there and they had the A/C removed and were converted back to the axiflow fans soon after.

they sucked every peice of crap they passed on the trackbed into the intakes...

Wow, I can only imagine the amount of dead rats they must have found when cleaning the air intake filters. Probably not the TA's best experiment LOL.

Archived